All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. George Wein Is Alive and Well in Mexico Great record. Three leads who are full of character. Disappointed that they didn't take the Herb Alpert gimmick further though.
  3. We just can guess, but for sure her "2nd career" with EmArcy/Gitanes/Verve granted her additional opportunities ....
  4. I don't know who this is. Does anyone have some background info? https://jackwalrath.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-smalls?from=discover_page
  5. Don't know if I'm interested yet but I thought I'd let folks know... https://newbraxtonhouse.bandcamp.com/album/10-comp-lorraine-2022-2
  6. You know I used to think, "you win on Opening Day, you're in first place." But apparently that is wrongthink. MLB.com lists teams that are tied in alphabetical order, and then shows this on the preview screen for the Blue Jays - Rays second game of the year. WTH? Also, ha ha Yankee fans, Sox are in 2nd place and Yanks in third.
  7. Well. . . I wonder if this record could have been made earlier in her career. Luckily, it was made right before her last.
  8. Electric Opening Day moments from around MLB … including a fifth straight Opening Day HR from Red Sox outfielder Tyler O’Neill. 😮
  9. It's telling, that Helen Merrill felt ready going back to her roots @ Croatia only at this point of career (the following album "Lilac Wine" should be her last) .... Steve Lacy never disappoints, but the album concept as a whole is touching ....
  10. Today
  11. That does look tasty. Did you ever see the film version equivalent (Marclay's The Clock)? I think this was at MoMA and San Francisco MoMA and probably a few other museums. https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1308 I finished Shteyngart's Absurdistan and am just starting Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time. I actually did seek out an older copy with the Edward Gorey cover, though it's certainly not one of his best covers...
  12. soulpope

Ran Blake

Feat. a wonderful reading of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" ....
  13. Pino Minafra & La Banda - Musica Sacra Della Settimana Santa (Enja)
  14. Pino Minafra & La Banda - Musica Sacra Della Settimana Santa (Enja)
  15. Emile Barnes New Orleans Band – Emile Barnes New Orleans Band
  16. Balladeer

Ran Blake

Recommended: Enrico Rava/Ran Blake - Duo en Noir (Double Moon)
  17. Stan Kenton “The Complete Capitol Studio Recordings Of Stan Kenton 1943-1947” Mosaic Records 7 cd box set, disc 2 There is some great music in this set, I pulled it out of the darkness of the back of a set of shelves and haven’t listened to it for quite some time. Sound is fantastic for its time–Capitol can be relied on for that. As can Mosaic.
  18. It's Good Friday, hearing Coltrane, Crescent. Books covering Blue Note Records: of course, Richard Cook is a must-read ! I don't know was happend with the book from Ashley Kahn "Somethin' else". Still waiting, and waiting, and waiting ... for 10 years now ! But there is "Uncompromising Expression" by Richard Havers, it is a good read, too. It's a pity there is no colllection of the liner-notes by Bob Blumenthal for the RVG-reissues, they were great. The best thing would be, Mr Cuscuna would finally write the book you ask for.
  19. Keith Jarrett “Still Live” disc 2 ECM 2 cd set. Precious music for me since this frist came out (I bought it then on cassette).
  20. From the phot session of : Abba "The Visitors" (Polar) 1981 .... btw some album cover editions show at least 🕯️one🕯️ candle on the left side ....
  21. romualdo

Ran Blake

Just received this in the latest DMG newsletter Friday, April 5th at 7:30pm RAN BLAKE - Shimmering Shadows Ran Blake will perform a rare NYC concert in solo and duo format with special guests. To celebrate the release of Ran’s biography, this concert will be inter-spliced with a live interview and film clips to present a retrospective of the life and music of this iconic pianist. At National Sawdust 80 North 6th St Brooklyn, NY 11249 (646) - 779 - 8455 info@nationalsawdust.org
  1. Load more activity