All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Willem Breuker Kollektief – A Paris / Summer Music
  3. Until he picked up the keytar off a stand he sat at a grand piano at right angles to a an electric keyboard switching between the two even within solos. Though I've seen the film several times it's been a while and I wouldn't recognize the theme from Blowup.
  4. Today
  5. Oh this must have been wonderful. I love everything he does. Dont forget I grew up in the era of the transition from acoustic to electric jazz and so the most natural thing for me was to hear let´s say "Mayden Voyage" or all the stuff with Miles, Shorter and all those heros and on the other hand hear "Head Hunters" . It was the most natural thing. We dug it ALL and I still dig it all. I love him on all instruments, of course acoustic but all the keyboards too. That´s him, that´s music.
  6. I still read jazz books, but have gotten much more selective, especially regarding titles I have to purchase rather than borrowing via interlibrary loan. I can envision going for a well-written and researched Cecil Taylor bio, but would wait to see some reviews/feedback before buying. I admit to rarely reading liner notes (beyond a cursory scan) any more.
  7. I mainly stick to the music these days. I used to read a lot of the jazz books, but less & less.
  8. That's a grim tale! Yes, wore mine out as a teenager, was (and still am) especially mesmerized by the perfect "Hot 'Lanta"/"In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" album side, and by the live "Whipping Post".
  9. Might be a generational / old fart thing on my part, but if the Young book can be counted on to appear I'll pass on Freeman.
  10. Was he playing a real piano until he got to the Headhunters stuff? And did he play Blow-Up?
  11. just received an email from Eremite & am looking forward to this too
  12. Yesterday
  13. Got this one on Chuck's recommendation, and, as usual, he's absolutely right. The sound is very good. Like the video stuff too. Thanks Chuck!
  14. I think I’m going to get that Ahmed set too. this also looks fantastic Gayle/Parker/Graves https://milfordgraves-blackeditionsarchive.bandcamp.com/album/webo
  15. Kind of an oddball example, but even more than the others Dickey wasn't one to be put in just one box.
  16. Learn To Play Tennis the Cone Durnell Way!!!
  17. With these sidemen, I'd definitely like to hear it! Okay, there are excerpts on YouTube. Typical 1960's baroque jazz. There are versions of the Händel Concerto by broque ensembles that swing a lot more! The harpsichord sounds awful (the instrument, not the player).
  18. Noal Cohen has a line-up in his Frank Strozier discography; https://attictoys.com/frank-strozier/frank-strozier-discography/#sess-year_1984
  19. Red Sox highlight of the season - guaranteed: Tanner Houk completes a "Maddux" CG shut out. https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/tanner-houck-throws-shutout-vs-guardians The last pitcher to throw a “Maddux” with nine strikeouts or more in a game played in 1:50 or less? That would be Maddux himself on Aug. 20, 1995 in St. Louis.
  20. RIP. The Fillmore album was simply great through and through. I was fortunate enough to see the original band in Central Park a few months before Duane's passing. At one point, I said to myself "Isn't that Donovan's There Is A Mountain"? Sure enough, when Eat A Peach came out, there it was as Mountain Jam.
  1. Load more activity