All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Bonnie Raitt's Give It Up, produced by Cuscuna, is very good. I think Barbara George cover of I Know is especially great.
  3. This morning calls for some Jobim. Virginie Daïdé Feat Tom Harrell “Dream Jobim” 600×538 135 KB
  4. Only thanks to your original post which made me splutter my coffee
  5. Has anyone listened to any of these yet? Any that are outstanding? Any that didn't need to be issued?
  6. Today
  7. Ben Folds „Way to Normal“ (Epic Records) 2008 ….
  8. Ashley Moore „Like A Rose“ (Warner Bros) 2013 …. photography by Jim Wright ....
  9. José Bello Y Su Orquesta "No Hay Dolor" (Lo Mejor Records) 1983 .... captivating groove and another worthy credit for bass master Andy Gonzalez ....
  10. Astor Piazzola "The Rough Dancer And The Cyclical Night (Tango Apasionado)" (American Clavé) 1988 ....
  11. “Jazz Crusaders: the Pacific Jazz Quintet Studio Sessions” Mosaic Records disc 3
  12. NikAdo Duo – Åskgudarnas strid #1 ... Sweden 2018
  13. Yes, sounds like he skipped Ayler and went to the source. I do remember reading about a small, very local pentecostalism that developed from some of the post Civil Wars sects and had survived in the Downs certainly into the 50s, documentation suggests. I wonder if a young Butcher came across them whilst seeking out local cisterns in which to practice. Also, just remembered Prevost's mention of the Diggers and Muggletonians and their influence on the early structural identities of improvisation in East Anglia. Possible cross-pollination? Have to say, I agree with your wife
  14. I agree. "Church influence" is funny in this case, since presumably it comes from records. I'm not sure of how substantial the pentecostal saxophone scene was in East Sussex in the mid- to late-1960s, but I'd guess that the answer is 'not very'. Where did he first come across this stuff, and what other records are there that influenced him? Vernard Johnson is not exactly a house name of here. One thing that I don't hear much with Butcher is an Ayler influence, which is where you would have assumed he would have started from. It's a good record by the way. Very enjoyable as breakfast music, even if my wife is a bit less tolerant of outwardly churchy music.
  15. Glad you`ve found another positive inspiration via this thread ....
  16. I find Butcher's church influence increasingly apparent in his solo work. Funny how that can happen with age.
  17. Vernard Johnson - I'm a Witness Too I forget who on this board recommended this gospel saxophonist. Apparently a big influence on John Butcher. $2 purchase from Zia Thunderbird from a recent trip to Phoenix, Arizona.
  18. Those speculators are about to be disappointed, because both the LP and the CD set are already up for preorder at the official Nat King Cole website with a street date of May 31: https://natkingcole.com/pages/shop
  19. I remember it was out when all them wonderful Miles albums of the 70´s were out (On the Corner, In Concert, Live Evil, and so on and I was expecting a new Miles Davis album, and to my astonishment this was a thing of older stuff from the 60´s, but I was not disappointed at all, since I love Miles from 1948, 58, 68 same like Miles from 1978 or 1988..... Strange, they took the cover photo from a later Bud Powell album (Return of Bud Powll). There was a series of photos hot during that 1964 studio album and I like those photos most from Bud Powell, they are wonderful. But Sure Thing must have been around the early 50´s I think it was broadcasted quite often. The piece as some classical approach with fugue like lines, not exactly my alley, but it´s wonderful, how Mingus does all those bass figures. Okay, I like the piece, but never to the same amount like if he played let´s say "Woodyn You", "Salt Peanuts", I wanna be Happy or all them ballads......
  20. “Perhaps a historic-cultural monument designation could have saved the Zimmerman house, or allowed the necessary time to delay demolition. Tragically, calls for preservation fell on deaf ears.” So hey. Apparently Chris Pratt wasn't the only one who didn't give a shit, so don't blame him.
  21. Next up: Roy Eldridge - Dale's Wail (Verve, 2 LPs) Now this music OVERFLOWING with vitality. So much irrepressible soul coming out of that horn! Yeah!!!
  22. Can't measure what we all owe him.
  1. Load more activity