All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The pop group the Beatles did a nice cover of Shatner's classic "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" composition.
  3. 👍 Recent CD?? Both rec. 1956. Have both on japanese vinyl for many years (Trio Records) Excellent music & sound quality.
  4. Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3 / Bacchanale from "Samson and Delilah" / French Military March / Danse macabre / Carnival of the Animals Eugene Ormandy, E. Power Biggs (organ, symphony), Philadelphia Orchestra, Miscellaneous classical stars, e.g., Entremont, Tortelier, Ma, etc. (Carnival) (Sony)
  5. Recorded @ Europe in July 1996 .... excellent ....
  6. CLEF MG C-682 (Japan 1990)- Lawrence Brown " Slide Trombone" - rec. 1955 -
  7. Today
  8. A country with a comparably short cultural history is unable to preserve parts of the forementioned .... some countries are able (and willing) to maintain monumental protection/urban heritage conservation ....
  9. He's not a good actor, though he is pricey! Sucks about the house. Does "intact" mean that there wasn't mold or other significant issues with it? Might have had good bones but enough other problems stacked up that rendered it safer/saner/cheaper to tear down.
  10. This notion of the permanence of man-made objects is folly. Just look around. Every thing goes at some point. Well, maybe not pyramids. Otherwise, survival of the fittest applies to objects as well as to living species.
  11. This is happening where I live and I see the same arguments on Facebook. "How can they tear down such a historic house?" But when it's pointed out that the house went up for sale and no one talked about buying it to preserve it, they all shut up quickly. Everyone's for preservation until someone asks you for money. There was one tiny house by the beach that caused a lot of angst. This place was tiny - a 2-story ugly box that was maybe 1,100 sq.ft. It had 4 tiny 9 x 9 bedrooms on the 2nd floor and a single bathroom on the 1st floor. Fun! It reportedly had some old knob & tube wiring. Double fun! The new owners bought it for $2.2 Million and went for approval to tear it down. People asked the town to stop them. Yet, diagonally across the street, another, similar building was torn down and replaced with a modern beach house without a peep from anyone. The town knew they couldn't do anything about it so it got torn down. The mansion that's there now looks pretty good, better than the old house in my opinion. Old isn't always better.
  12. Bottom line - nobody cared enough to preserve that house. Nobody. End of story.
  13. Already the title track`s intro gives away some magic of Charles Mingus arrangements ....
  14. Architecture forum: "Hey! What's all this brouhaha about some famous jazz guy's master tapes being erased. It's such ugly music. I don't see how erasing this changes anything historically ... and, you know, it's not like you can't find music like this all over the place anyway."
  15. That "rare draft" of Lil Hardin Armstrong's autobiography, isn't that something that Chris Albertson had access to (and/or had been given) after Lil Armstrong's passing?
  16. Oh yeah, the Mario movie. Watched that with my granddaughter. It was fun. Sorry for invading your presence.
  17. Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band - Moliendo Café (Sunnyside, 1993) Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Congas, Bajo Quinto – Jerry Gonzalez Tenor Saxophone – Carter Jefferson Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Joe Ford Piano – Larry Willis (!!!) Bass – Andy Gonzalez Drums, Claves, Guacharaca, Guiro, Congas – Steve Berrios
  18. I'm sure they're huge, but I don't know anyone who watches that kind of kitsch. If they do, they certainly don't bring it up in my presence.
  19. Parks and Recreation is the extent of my exposure to Pratt. That was good and that was enough.
  20. But as you pointed out earlier, Guardians of the Galaxy 4 and Super Mario Brothers?????
  21. Disagree and if umps have any say in such a change, they should resist. I'd accept a challenge system but no "do your strikeout motion NOW" in their ears. Umps are not supposed to be judged on their strike calling on pitches within a ball's width of the edge of the zone and that is fine by me. Correcting that technologically isn't needed AFIAC,
  22. Same here. In fairness to the guy, pop culture has become much more fragmented than it used to be. Instead of there being a smaller group of celebrities whom everyone knows, there are now zillions of celebrities whom are recognized only by certain segments of the population.
  23. Robots? I'd rather have humans up their game. Is that asking too much?
  1. Load more activity