All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I get it, but... Have humans beings devolved to the point that they are unable to learn a real strike zone? Have they devolved to the point that they are unable to punish egregiously bad performance? If they have, then ok. Robo away. But otherwise, make those motherfuckers do their job right.
  3. Jonah Jones And Gérard Pochonet All Stars – Jonah In Paris ... 1954
  4. The Times has now published an obituary (a pretty good one, too).
  5. Mike Pinder, the pianist of The Moody Blues, has died at 82. RIP.
  6. Today
  7. The Rolling Stones set to play New Orleans Jazz Fest 2024, opening Thursday (msn.com)
  8. For Reggie Jackson that's 4000 total with 2400 of them Ks. 2820 games.
  9. April 25 Guglielmo Marconi - 1874 Earl Bostic - 1913 Ella Fitzgerald - 1917 Albert King - 1923 Jerry Lieber - 1933 Bjorn Ulvaeus - 1945 Stu Cook - 1945 Digby Fairweather -1946
  10. Sheile E. "In The Glamorous Life" (Warner Bros. Records) 1984 ....
  11. Confront Recordings (UK) seem to do only B/W covers: https://confrontrecordings.bandcamp.com/music I have this one but this is a more artistic example: This Tribe (not Confront) classic (design and music) has probably appeared upthread, but I'm too lazy to check:
  12. Turns out this box has all of the Five Spot tracks.
  13. Another recent acquisition, this time not a jazz record: Albert Collins - Ice Pickin' Again, happy to own this one finally.
  14. “During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.” — Mickey Mantle
  15. Bruckner: Symphony No. 1 as heard on this set: Containing three TOP-TIER symphony cycles -- Beethoven's (with the LSO), Brahms' (with the LPO), and Bruckner's (with the Staatskapelle Dresden) -- this set is heard often at my house.
  16. Verrrry interesting, haven't heard this one before! Familiar with the song only because of the Gene Krupa/Anita O'Day studio version from around the same time.
  17. Jim Bowden at the Athletic lists his ten biggest disappointments of the young season so far, and bad umpiring clocks in at number 3: 3. Umpires making headlines because of egregious mistakes We have never had a more talented group of umpires in the history of the game. Instant replay has been a huge success and evaluating umpires has never been more precise. That’s why it’s so disappointing that umpires Angel Hernandez and Hunter Wendelstedt stood out for all the wrong reasons in the season’s first month. First up was Hernandez, who on April 12 made a series of laughable calls behind the plate during an at-bat by Rangers outfielder Wyatt Langford. With the bases loaded and one out in the fourth inning, Langford didn’t swing at single pitch from Astros righty J.P. France, watching all five he faced land significantly outside the strike zone. Ball 1 was in the dirt, Ball 2 was high and outside, “Ball 3” was way outside, “Ball 4” was farther outside and “Ball 5” was even farther outside. Hernandez called the last three strikes. Everyone misses calls, but not like this. Did Hernandez decide to let a rookie know who was boss, that he would decide the strike zone rather than go by the rule book? Who knows with Hernandez, who has a well-deserved reputation as one of the least accurate umpires of all time. This was a total embarrassment to the integrity of the sport, and why Hernandez hasn’t been fired or paid to go away is beyond me. Even worse than that was what took place during the Yankees-A’s game on Monday when Wendelstedt, the home plate umpire, ejected manager Aaron Boone because he heard a fan heckle him and thought it was Boone. TV cameras supported the account of Boone, who said he didn’t say anything to deserve the ejection. After the game, Wendelstedt doubled down on Boone’s ejection, saying, “Apparently what he said was there was a fan right above the dugout. This isn’t my first ejection. In the entirety of my career, I have never ejected a player or a manager for something a fan has said. I understand that’s going to be part of a story or something like that because that’s what Aaron was portraying. He’s the manager of the Yankees. So, he’s the one that had to go.” Wait, what? Now you’re accusing the manager of lying and you’re misrepresenting the situation? Apparently Wendelstedt didn’t know YES Network had a camera trained on Boone that showed he said nothing and another camera on the fan in the front row who made the comment. Wendelstedt should have been suspended and fined a day’s pay for this egregious mistake as well as his response. Three straight balls well out of the zone--certainly more than a ball's width--and Hernandez called them all strikes. No reason for this nonsense anymore, given the available technology. Some fans carried on when replay was introduced, saying it would slow down the game, erode the "romance" of legendary bad blown calls, etc. Instead we have a game today where egregious mistakes can be easily corrected, and a system in place that keeps the replay tactic from being overused. If some sort of modification, perhaps similar to Dan's suggested challenge approach, is necessary to bring robo-ump to use, then by all means implement it. I'm so sick of seeing numerous blown calls in games, and there's really no excuse for them continuing. I predict we'll have some form of robo-ump in the next couple of years.
  18. Isaac Albeniz „Iberia“ Nelson Goerner (Alpha) 2022 ….
  19. Sun Ra 'Inside the Light World: Sun Ra Meets the OVC' (Strut 2LPs)
  20. It's one of my favourite of his weirder ones.
  21. Got my copy after you posted about it a while back, playing here now too
  22. Dexter Gordon Quartet 'Live at Chateauvallon 1978' (Elemental). Nice INA recording from a few RSDs back. Bonus of sleeve notes by Michael Cuscuna and Maxine Gordon. A superb LP !
  1. Load more activity