All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Haven’t enjoyed this cd in a while. I was thinking of my late first wife Helen, and that led me to think of listening to Helen Merrill, and I saw this one, which was sitting neglected on a shelf a long time. Helen Merrill featuring Stan Getz β€œJust Friends” Emarcy cd That's correct, I just don't have the impression any particular one was a breakout hit in sales.
  3. I guess this problem of "reliabilty" exists with any such discussion platforms. When I read the Mercury discussion I was under the impression everything they stated boiled down to "educated guesses". But like I said, I know too little about this specific series to judge it at all. At any rate and on a more general level, my impression is that whatever the Japanese released and reissued beyond their own country certainly was aimed at the USA in the very first place. And all other target coutnries were afterthoughts. At least from the Japanese point of view. So, looking at them from over here, I've understood Japanese pressings always as being typical "imports" (that found their way here more or less haphazardly and strictly on the initiative of individual importers). But I'd bet ther always are exceptions to any rule anyone comes up with about pressings, releases, exports/imports, etc., so in the end it all remains "educated guesses". I am not worried too much about ths kind of "fuzziness" in these discussions anymore. I've come across the same kind of discussions on other forums in different hobby areas where you get involved once you have gathered substantial knowledge on the subject matter. But it almost always turns out that the more you learn the more you realize that there are things you don't know 100% for sure. So in most cases I'm past working myself into a temper ... 😁 At any rate, I think, beyond my use of Discogs for checks on specific releases I think I might check the discussion sites a bit more often too. Might be fun ... Although (judging by these Mercury discussions) I guess they remain more civilized than on the Hoffman forum ... 😁
  4. Nice one, must dig my copy out , it's been a while
  5. Today
  6. Aretha Franklin – What You See Is What You Sweat ... 1991
  7. Saw several of those shows, too. These two back to back was an astounding 2 hours of music! Myra Melford's Fire and Water: Back at the Bijou and featured some of the best live playing I've heard from Mary Halvorson. [Agreed about Mary's performance! Especially the back and forth improv she had with the drummer, Leslie Mok.] Dave Holland Quartet: Great set. Very impressed with pianist Kris Davis in this set. Also with Jaleel Shaw. [Agreed again. The Tony Williams-like intensity of Nasheet Waits was astounding, as well. Fortunately I get to see them again at SFJAZZ in May.] Friday at SFJAZZ RAVI COLTRANE: PHAROAH SANDERS TRIBUTE W/ JOE LOVANO, TOMOKI SANDERS, DAVID VIRELLES, DEZRON DOUGLAS, & JOHNATHAN BLAKE
  8. I can only guess based on the similar February show; seems reasonable to expect some overlap but no specifics given as of time of posting. Sorry for not posting this link earlier. I'm going to e-mail the contact given on the website, who ("Billy") I think could be Billy Martin. Will relay any reply. February event advertised in advance the following lineup: Peter Apfelbaum – conductor, tenor sax, piano / Ingrid Sertso – voice and poetry / Eric Mingus – voice and poetry / Chuck Ver Straeten – voice / Bill Horberg – flutes / Elsa Nilsson – flutes / Sylvain Leroux – Fula flute, qromatica / Steve Cohn – shakuhachi / Chris Pasin – trumpet / Marianne Osiel – oboe, english horn / Jessica Jones – tenor sax / Tony Jones – tenor sax / Stuart Leigh – guitar / Mike Gassman – guitar / Julia Haines – harp / Brittany Anjou – vibraphone, piano / Fred Lonberg- Holm – cello / Michael Bisio – bass / Ken Filiano – bass / Tani Tabbal – drums / Joakim Lartey – percussion Sunday, February 25 Β· 3 – 5pm EST The Shirt Factory 77 Cornell Street Unit #118 Kingston, NY 12401
  9. many thanks Elmo particularly enjoyed Steve Swallow's recollections wonderful!! & thanks for sharing
  10. Only 11% of US revenues is from physical sales. (1) RIAA (@RIAA) / X (twitter.com)
  11. Yes, one of their few glaring oversights. Others include Gary Bartz - 'Home' and Sonny Simmons 'Rumasuma'. But it's amazing how much Fantasy did get out on CD before selling to Concord, who has basically mothballed those catalogs.
  12. This is such a great album. Should've been an OJC CD.
  13. Baden Powell Quartet, Vol. 3 (Barclay FR, 1971) Superb.
  14. Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy (Columbia, 1977)
  15. Yesterday
  16. Kurt Masur - The Complete Warner Classics Edition, disc 41.
  17. Atlantic recorded some classic New Orleans players in the '50s. I have some but not all. Henry Red Allen made some very nice albums in the late '50s and early '60s, but although his roots in New Orleans were deep (his father ran a brass band in the 19th century) these are not strictly traditional in approach. I'm particularly fond of Ride Red Ride on RCA with Coleman Hawkins as a sideman.
  18. Traditional New Orleans jazz is still alive and sounding good. I've got these bands on my schedule for visits to Economy Hall at the 2024 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Louis Ford and His New Orleans Flairs. Doreen's Jazz New Orleans. Joe Lastie's New Orleans Sound Charlie Gabriel and Friends Smoking Time Jazz Club Doctor Michael White's Tribute to Johnny Dodds Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses The Palm Court Jazz Band
  19. Hi Peter, That is a great story. Primarily because there are so few people still around who have any first- hand stories to share about Doug. I was very lucky to be able to interview Louis Hayes for the story. It added a great deal about who Doug was as a person. Peter, thanks for sharing that with all of us who appreciate the enormous talent that Doug possessed. Steve Siegel
  20. I concur about the Wein record, which is saturated with personality! Also...having only one Louis Armstrong record should be grounds for extradition to...somewhere... That's your life force right there.
  1. Load more activity