All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Dembo Konte & Kausu Kuyateh - Simbomba [Rogue Records] thanks to Paul Secor for posting this and alerting me to its existence. Speaking of which, I'm missing his eclectic posts (always educational). Hope he returns to posting
  3. There's also a newly recorded CD on Dot Time apparently by the same group. Has anyone heard the new one? Ooops - Scatter The Atoms That Remain is a totally different group. Still wonder if it's any good.
  4. Post a pic

5. Tony Coe

I ordered a copy of Zeitgeist this afternoon
  6. Today
  7. What vinyl are you spinning right now??

Yeah, Potts is on two Chico records on Solid State.
  8. Roscoe Mitchell - Littlefield Concert Hall

I was stunned and delighted by "Ride the Wind" but found "Discussions"(with Mills College personnel by and large) to be worthwhile but somewhat less successful; I assumed that was because most of the orchestrations on "Ride the Wind" were done by Roscoe while all the the orchestrations on "Discussions" were done by others. Who did the orchestrations for the Littlefield Concert Hall album?
  9. Branford slams Miles

Yeah, I mean that stuff was there if you dug / listened to college radio; "grunge" actually had a lot of interesting bands, but the better they were the less mainstream press they got. Mudhoney did pretty well in terms of popularity despite the fact that their music was/is fairly non-traditional.
  10. What vinyl are you spinning right now??

Yesterday: Chico Hamilton - The Head Hunters (Solid State, 1969) with Steve Potts (as); Russ Andrews (ts); Ray Nance (vn); Eric Gale (g); Jan Arnet (b) No, not those Head Hunters! Stumbled across this LP recently in a local shop. I had no idea that Steve Potts was with Chico before he began his long association with Steve Lacy. ... And Ray Nance is in there too -- using an electric pick-up, which gives him a very different sound. Good stuff!
  11. Branford slams Miles

I hear you, Clifford. But FM radio pretty much is the mainstream. Well, from 94.9 upwards, I guess. The lower numbers will have more Jazz and Classical. And those names may have been somewhat big locally, but I’m not sure they were nationally, Sonic Youth being the lone exception.
  12. Branford slams Miles

I mean, there were some weird ass bands in the 1980s scene that later became identified with the term "grunge." U-Men, Mr. Epp and the Calculations, the Melvins, and even Tad were not exactly normal. If you're just going by what was on the radio in 1992 I can't really help you there, but it was a pretty interesting time for rock music. Yes, Geffen were able to be on trend and pour money into signing some weird ass bands to DGC, most of which were loss leaders. Sonic Youth as a legacy band are absolutely huge, even if not exactly Nirvana numbers (and as I understand it, SY got Nirvana signed and received quite the finders fee as a result).
  13. Charles Tolliver All-Stars vinyl and CD reissue

I've opened it. Very basic packaging. No mastering information. Very good sound. . .or as good as the recording is likely to sound.
  14. Tony Coe

Yeah, the Hat set is the only other one I can think of in that particular realm. Zeitgeist is cool as well, larger group though.
  15. LPs for Sale: Music Matters Blue Notes and BYG-Actuel

I will also listen to other offers, and will negotiate for anyone interested in multiple items.
  16. Black Saint / Soul Note Box Set Sale

PM sent on Don Pullen set.
  17. Roscoe Mitchell - Littlefield Concert Hall

I need to get this! Mr. Mitchell is a national treasure. Some years ago I had the opportunity to tell him that he had changed the way I heard music. As part of a Jazz festival a group of critics and musicians converged to discuss Jazz in Europe (participants included Amrii Baraka, Peter Brotzman, Evan Parker, Wadada Leo Smith and others in a lively, at times contentious conversation.) There was a bit of tension in the room and Mr. Mitchell (not a scheduled participant) felt a bit slighted and spoke up. Although he was a bit miffed, he was extremely cordial to me when I approached him.
  18. Charles Tolliver All-Stars vinyl and CD reissue

Just ordered it. Had the vinyl forEVER, but will be great to have it on CD.
  19. From the book Stealth Jazz: Behind the Curtain (Tom Smith: Copyright 2017; Bunk Johnson Publishing). http://tomsmithjazz.wixsite.com/music/single-post/2019/04/20/WHY-JAZZ-IS-UNPOPULAR-THE-ONLY-REASON?fbclid=IwAR3mPZv_u03MESMXm1DRpwKgrnNm4Ph_SS_Dtk86oECZIOZQApVuKMqc_iU
  20. Roscoe Mitchell - Littlefield Concert Hall

Sorry, Chuck. Been off this site for a few weeks. Traveling. I'm pretty sure I "Liked" your FB post, though!
  1. Load more activity