All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Hi David,

Let me know if you'd like the box score from the game.

If so, send me your e-mail so I can respond directly.

--- Jon

3. Bump and price drop to $175. Hot music for a hot summer, people!!!
  4. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Paul Quinichette - The Vice 'Pres': One of my favorite acquisitions of the year.
  5. Now reading...

NYRB Classics is having what they call a 50% “flash” sale on Elizabeth Hardwick and Renata Adler books, for those who may be interested. “Two incisive, boldly experimental novels from the 1970s by Elizabeth Hardwick and Renata Adler (plus five additional titles from the two writers) are being offered at 50% off for the next 24 hours.”
  6. Rahssan Roland Kirk on The Ed Sullivan show.

That is so cool. I'm actually a bit too young to have many memories of Ed Sullivan, but I'm well aware of the wealth of great musical talent that appeared on the show (the clips of rock artists continue to pop up everywhere). Apparently he was generous to jazz artists. Duke and Satchmo would be one thing--but Kirk, Mingus, Shepp, and Haynes? Good lord. Then you had every musician identified, even the man playing tambourine! What an experience is must have been to see Roland Kirk in person.
  7. Just re-read the above press blurb again, the transcription reference must have been well hidden. As for the "additional" 80 tracks, the 20 or so Deccas have been around often enough too, so the recordings for the indies in a comprehensive reissue seem to be the major point of attraction. And of course the fact that "those who thus desire" can get it all in one place. For the occasion, going to spin the "Nat King cole meets the Master Saxes" Spotlite SPJ136 LP now.
  8. Sweatin' In The Summer

Great piece. The man certainly paints pictures of the heat, sweat, mosquitoes, and over-imbibed fans.
  9. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Sublime beauty .... Dauce really owns Charpentier`s music....
  10. JTaylor, are you involved at all with this set? Once it comes out, I think the only stretch of NKC’s career lacking a “complete” treatment will be the late 1940s through 1954 Capitol stretch, as we’ve discussed before (since Bear Family covered 1955 to 1964 and the Mosaic Capitol set omits recordings in which the trio plays no role).
  11. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Beloved platter .... the Adderley Brotherhood rarely sounded better ....
  12. Today
  13. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Mike, I had the opportunity to see lacy on stage with Mal Waldron (app 20 years ago). It was a memorable experience. And this CD is excellent.
  14. Frank Trumbauer

Steve Robinson is the only one I know of.
  15. Well, Resonance mentions transcription sides, and to be honest I think an additional 80 tracks would be sufficient for the other material. We'll see I guess. I'm in. . . I'd love to have all this in one place.
  16. It takes a lot of courage to match that jacket with that shirt, and even more smarts to know that the ascot will pull it all together somehow.
  17. I am no early NKC discography expert but I find the info by Resonance a bit vague on what exactly in what QUANTITIES came from which labels. or to put it another way - if the early years up to 1943 are covered, will this include the transcriptions too? Of which there were MANY, and they have been out and around in variuos guises over time (the 6 CDs on Naxos alone include 120 tracks up to 1943 (mostly for the Standard Transcription Service, but also for Davis & Schwegler and Keystone).
  18. Another vote for reality-based sanity, thank you!
  19. Regarding the Decca material, will Resonance have access to the same source materials that Verve did, and if so, will they use them?
  20. Frank Trumbauer

This thread did cause me to wonder: Are any players today occasionally playing a C melody Sax?? gregmo
  21. Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

I've enjoyed this set for years, but a friend whose opinion I trust waved me off the last disc, citing bad pop covers as the reason. In investigating Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land, I had cause to open and listen to the final disc in the set, and yes on disc 4 is a cover of Sunshine of Your Love and disc 5 does feature Aquarius, but these are not dealbreakers for me. The version of Equinox on disc 5 kills.
  22. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Stringquartets Nos. 7 & 8
  23. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Cello Sonatas Op.102/1 and Op.102/2
  1. Load more activity