All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I did not know about this. Having checked up on it, it looks really interesting! A family affair. How does it sound?
  3. I don't recall ever seeing a Chris Pratt movie. I wouldn't recognize him on the street. This is the modern idea of a silver screen star?
  4. But if, for example, you prefer earlier Cannonball? I haven't ordered anything but the Shelly Manne is closest to being sooner rather than later.
  5. Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban - Mambo Sinuendo (Nonesuch)
  6. I've heard the term "McMansion" since at least the 90s. Used in my family's neck of the woods (Fairfield County, CT) to refer to new construction that is over-sized relative to the lot, and often designed in a horrid Faux-Colonial style. Sometimes built to replace legitimate Colonials from the 18th century, for good measure. More generally used to describe new homes built for people with far more money than taste.
  7. The Bob Mover/Walter Davis Jr. CD just arrived yesterday so I haven't had a chance to hear it.
  8. Cuscuna was all over the place. I just received from Dusty Groove a used copy of Blakey's Drum Suite (Columbia). Cuscuna produced the reissue, and there's a lengthy "Note On The Bonus Tracks" that is typical Cuscuna: covers everything important, readable and pithy, makes sense of a confusing bunch of tracks (Lil' T on this album was renamed to The Third on Byrd & Farmer's Two Trumpets on Prestige; The New Message was later renamed to Little T!), and never calls attention to the writer. He will be missed.
  9. Hermann Scherchen - The 1950s Haydn Symphonies Recordings (DG, 2003) Recordings originally made for Westminster with the Vienna State Opera Orchestra and Wiener Symphoniker Disc 3: Symphonies No. 93; No. 94 "The Surprise"; and No. 104 "London" I was reading in the liner notes that, at the time of their release, musicologist H. C. Robbins Landon described these recordings as "brilliant, intellectual, honest, uncompromising, and eccentric." I'd say those words sum up Scherchen's music-making in general.
  10. Today
  11. I recently reviewed these shot glasses for Amazon Vine. They may get a few laughs at your home bar.
  12. That's rich coming from a guy that thinks William Shatner is a music artist. A cheaper, vacant lot that's across the street from his mother-in-law? And what the hell is a McMansion? Does it come with fries?
  13. A number of classic homes on West Paces Ferry near the Governor's mansion in Atlanta have been razed over the years and replaced with McMansions. Of course, the only way to preserve a historic, classic home is to set up a trust and donate it to a foundation with the stipulation that it can't be razed or excessively remodeled. But heirs usually want the money and don't care about preserving buildings. It is always interesting how people want to control other people's property, which costs them nothing to do.
  14. Kurt Masur - The Complete Warner Classics Edition, disc 46.
  15. “No Problem” made me think of the incredible rendition on this disc so. . . . Barney Wilen Quintet “New York Romance” Venus cd 700×688 101 KB An alternate cover, both covers feature his gal Marie Moor.
  16. The two chanting tracks on the Sun Ra CD set quickly grew tiresome, it might be more fun to witness that in person, but I would rather have music on a CD. Of course, that may have been all that was available and useable from that show. I I would rate them all as outstanding and worth buying if you are a fan of the artists.
  17. This is what I was thinking ... losing one hardly erases history. I also wonder exactly how many empty lots still exist. The location might make it extra value as a place for that McMansion. I also think its awfully nice that they plan a Mother-In-Law pool house so Maria Shriver can cross the street for a visit and keep a toothbrush on the property.
  1. Load more activity