All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. I've really been enjoying this blog. Old friends and new acquaintances.
  3. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Ab Baars Trio - A Free Step: The Music of John Carter
  4. Today
  5. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Actually, a somewhat meaningful record, except for when Jon Faddis solos, which is on every cut and in no predictable order. But is there meaningfulness in imperfection, annoyance even? Perhaps there is. But I'd have liked this pretty good record into damn good status if Jon Faddis was not on it, at least not playing like this.
  6. Jazz Police, University Jazz Program Nightmare Stories

In retrospect, I get that there's all kinds of fine lines being walked, not the least of which is the sheer terror of career survival in a brand-world that is all about product. But still, there were better ways/angles from which to steer the conversation into one of esthetics and THEN pivot to, hey, you know, I get it, but this is not the place for it, this is not what we do here, ok? Then again, I was, like, 19 and the director couldn't have been over...26 or so, young married guy trying to keep a gig and get his career thing together. Neither one of us probably knew shit about where the other was coming from, to be honest. He ended up being a nice enough guy and we had a good band, fun to play in, just not that, not there, Fair enough. I'd be lying if i said it didn't leave a bruise or two, but c'est la vie, right? Life will always bruise you, that's just how it works. But that's all hindsight now, so...fuck the police anyway!
  7. Shipping delays

I received an email about the shipping delays involving the Japanese post office. Essentially, all packages which shipped before April 23th will be delivered but right now most packages which shipped after April 3rd have been held up by Japan Post and are still in Japan; they are stuck with a huge amount of packages because flights to the US have been reduced and canceled. It will now take 2-4 months for packages to get to their final destination.
  8. Some stressful things are happening at work. To keep myself distracted, today I decided to conduct an impromptu listening experiment. I just finished listening to to ten different recordings of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110. The recordings I chose: Arrau (Philips) Barenboim (DG) Brendel (Philips I) Buchbinder (Teldec) Hungerford Kempff (DG II) Kovacevich (Warner Classics) Pollini Serkin (1960) Solomon I enjoyed listening to all of these recordings, but -- for this listener, today -- three stood out. They are (in no particular order): KOVACEVICH - for his dark and brooding weightiness; it's a "heavy" reading--in the best sense of the word. Think Otto Klemperer. SERKIN - for his sense of pathos and subsequent joyousness; there's also a singing quality in Serkin's playing that brings the "Choral" Symphony to mind. HUNGERFORD - for creating such a profound sense of drama; if you want a visual image of Hungerford's way with this music, think of Zeus, his arm raised above his head, casting his lightning bolt. It's fun to do these sorts of listening comparisons, occasionally. It's a bit like comparing ten different jazz versions of "Body and Soul." Some might be more important than others (historically speaking), but I'm resistant to the idea of finding a "definitive" one. So, do you have a favorite recording of LvB's Op.110 sonata?
  9. Lesser-Known Leaders with Well-Known Sidemen

Leonard (Lennie) Hochman was on the scene for many decades before his recording debut as a leader in 1995 on the Brownstone label, "Until Tomorrow". Less than a year later, he returned to the studio to record his second and final leader date, "Manhattan Morning", also on the Brownstone label. For "Manhattan Morning", he brought in Kenny Barron on piano, Harvie Swartz on bass, Joe Locke on vibes and Victor Lewis on drums. I really liked this CD and wanted to see & hear Lennie live. Sadly he died in 2000 and I never got the chance to see him play.
  10. RIP Lucky Peterson

There are also three jazz CDs for his Organ Soul Sessions: The Music is the Magic, Mercy, and Brother Where Are You? These were released in France, where he seemed to have the most popularity. These have Cindy Blackman on drums and Rodney Jones (mostly) or Cornell Dupree on guitar backing Lucky Peterson, who exclusively plays organ. Houston Person is on a few tracks.
  11. Jazz Police, University Jazz Program Nightmare Stories

It's interesting Allen, because I think of you as a true jazz academic in the BEST sense of the word, if that makes sense-- your knowledge is deep and untouchable from what I've seen. I would think people would absolutely want to have you on board, to learn from you and exchange ideas. I know that's pretty naive, but I guess it's the way I wish things were in academia. When I look at it again I can see the truth in your last sentence: "they do not believe in free speech or in academic freedom if it contradicts their own beliefs." I do recall finding this to be true in my own limited experience, at certain moments, even though my college experience was largely positive. Unreal. Yeah... what a terrible attitude for a jazz band director to bring to a music that is meant to be expressive, spontaneous, you know... CREATIVE. I will never understand that mentality.
  12. Paul Bley CD

The label is still active, though, run by Steve Holtje. I guess it's a way to raise money for other projects, licensing things out like that, but I don't understand pushing the same product over and over and over. Free jazz was supposed to be immune to that! Hehe.
  13. RIP Lucky Peterson

That tribute to Jimmy Smith record features Archie Shepp on a few numbers, tenor and voice. Holla.
  14. COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

Perhaps you missed the reporting but indications of "re-infections" have been discounted. What the re-tests were picking up were dead virus fragments which take a while to clear the recovered system's.
  15. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Fantastic music on both -Love JuneĀ“s recordings with Guarnieri. Brubeck recorded at that time some beautiful solo albums, "Indian Summer" is my dearest.
  16. Album Covers with Bare Feet ....

THE BUD LAVIN TRIO: MOODS IN JAZZ. VANTAGE LP 501 [s.d.]
  17. "Now Found: Henry Grimes" tonight on Night Lights

Sweet. Talk about second acts! March 8, 2005 Grimes and Marshall Allen brought their "Spaceship on the Highway" by Blue Lake Public Radio's studios here at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in the Manistee National Forest and improvised/interviewed for an hour on the air. Allen played a shiny new alto, clarinet and EWI while Grimes was content with Olive Oil, his green lacquered bass William Parker bequeathed for the comeback. All improvisations. November 29, 2006 Henry and Margret returned with brass man Roy Campbell (trumpet, flugelhorn, pocket trumpet) for an hour of improvisation and conversation, this time including an unforgettable reading of Ayler's "Universal Indians." Some time in 2010 Grimes dropped by one last time with his "Renaissance Man Tour" which featured his first public violin playing since he put down the instrument years ago, as well as solo bass improvisations and poetry reading. Great, great moments. So generous with his music.
  18. Jazz Police, University Jazz Program Nightmare Stories

similar story, first year in a Lab Banc at NT and I'm in the "jazz tenor" chair. We're reading down some really dumb chart, just a really basic blues in Bb, and I started my 2nd chorus by playing "Giant Steps" more or less verbatim, for levity, but also because I had done this before on my own time and knew there were just enough common tones along the way that it didn't sound totally wrong...a bit jarring, maybe, and that was the point. But not totally wrong. But I guess the director didn't hear it that way, because the band was stopped immediately and I received a rather searing dressing down about all sorts of things, including(but not limited to) the importances of: taking life seriously and not being a joker of always playing the changes correctly (because that's the only way to show that you really know what you're doing), recognizing the significance - the HONOR - of being in an NTSU Lab Band respecting the aspirations of my fellow band members at all times (which is good advice, really, just not appropriate to the immediate situation) ALWAYS bringing a positive and serious disposition to EVERY aspect of EVERY performance for the rest of my life (again, not bad advice overall) So, you know, I kinda listened and said, ok, but dude, it fits, it fits if you want it to fit, doesn't it? JUST...NEVER DO THAT AGAIN IN MY BAND so...fuck the police. There are other tales to tell, but they are not worth telling, because after that first encounter, the pigs had me marked, and vice-versa.
  19. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Overture Le Tresor Suppose and Symphonies No. 3 & No.4
  20. Tal Farlow

Thank you sir. Love those David Stone Martin covers.
  21. Eager to read this, but wondering how sad a tale it will be?
  22. Paul Bley CD

Could it be because Stollman is no longer around?
  1. Load more activity