All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. It's original church music, not traditional hyms or spirituals, and the voices are a little strange but Stanley Turrentine shines on this. This and New Perspective may be the most personal music Byrd ever made. I also love GG's Feelin' the Spirit, the Shepp/Parlan duets, and both Charlie Haden/Hank Jones albums.
  3. The Cookers

I think I’ve seen the group 3x since I moved to DC almost 9 years ago, and always pretty uniformly excellent each time. Billy in particular has always seemed as good as ever, along with one other time I also saw Billy (sans Cookers) here within the last year, and he played as well as any tenor player I’ve ever heard, two long sets.
  4. Today
  5. The Cookers

I've seen the group 4 times, the most recent being last year, and they've lived up to their name every time. Heck, the last time I saw them, Billy Harper opened up with a twenty-minute solo and burned the place down. I'd gladly pay to see any of the members individually or together.
  6. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

The Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin - The Inner Mounting Flame (Columbia, 1971) Today's entry on my 70s jazz blog. Longish write-up tonight.
  7. The Bill Holman thread

Great Porcino and Kenton quotes! Bones Howe had a lot of class.
  8. The Bill Holman thread

Yes, the Koch edition.
  9. Found a Bird Alamac record, although not from the 40s: Bird with the Herd - 1951
  10. The Cookers

Saw The Cookers for the 2nd or 3rd time at Yoshi's Oakland last night Thurs 2-20-2020, have all their cd's. As much as I like these guys, they're starting to look and sound a little tired, worn, weathered but still doing serious touring. Soon will be in the Netherlands. We all know what Kenny Rogers said, might be time for these guys to "fold em"
  11. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

The type of upbeat, sunny, joyous, life-affirming, positive-energy music that seems unique to the 1960s.
  12. The Bill Holman thread

The Fabulous Bill Holman Coral LP is the one I remember from the deep dark past.
  13. Yesterday
  14. The Bill Holman thread

Holman did some great writing for Kenton after their "breakup" (such as it was...Al Porcino had a great quote in a DB interview to the effect that every time that Kenton's band got to really swinging that Stan would wake up all of a sudden and say, wait this is not MY band" and redirect the energies elsewhere. And holamn somewhere talks about Kenton fraking out an cursing that he didn't want his band sounding like goddamned COUNT BASIE). At whatever point, Holan finally fiugured that he, Kento gonna be Kenton, Kenton NEEDS to be Kento, so let me wite THAT for THAT. These are a really good charts for a really good band: What's funny is to compare the Limehouse chart to this one. Unmistakably Holman each time, totally different bands. And hello, lookie here! This is not the only 5th Dmension record where you see this, either.
  15. The department has no file on that Vincent Nillsson, we will investigate, the others are just fine.
  16. The Bill Holman thread

Is that the Koch edition?
  17. The Bill Holman thread

Yes, the book has some great quotes from Holman on various subjects concerning Lewis, Kenton, and West Coast vs. East Coast Jazz. His first impression of Lewis was really funny. Kenton was always concerned with attendance, and in 1954, when the 'Festival of Modern American Jazz tour came to an end, he promoted Holman to chief arranger for the band, and sent him on assignment to NYC to arrange Great American Songbook compositions for the orchestra. Holman wound up catching Basie live at Birdland, and being strongly influenced by the writing of Neal Hefti, and Ernie Wilkins for the band. Kenton added Charlie Mariano, Max Bennett, Bill Perkins, and Al Porcino to the band, and between Lewis, Porcino and Holman's arrangements, Holman thought that it became the most swinging band Kenton ever had. Lewis thought the band became a Bill Holman band. They released two albums showing this new approach, "Live at Palo Alto", and "Contemporary Concepts", where Holman wrote extended compositions on standard tunes, basically rewriting them. Despite universal critical acclaim, and an apparently successful seven month tour, Stan the Man began to second-guess the direction of the band and his influence on its sound. He fired Porcino and told Holman to stop writing for the band. To this day, Holman still doesn't know why Kenton made this decision... Holman made his first album thanks to Shelly Manne, who was hired to produce four albums for Coral, and "The Fabulous Bill Holman" (1957), was one of them. Holman didn't have a working band, so he hired the best jazz musicians in LA, and made the album after only one rehearsal. In the same year, Mel Lewis made his second album, "The Mel Lewis Sextet (Mode), produced by Red Clyde, and used Holman and Charlie Matiano on saxes. This led to Holman and Lewis to form the Bill Holman/Mel Lewis Quintet, in which they played many Holman arrangements and compositions. Holman said of the group: "Mel and I decided we had enough of West Coast jazz, and we were going to try to make a hard-swinging group.West Coast jazz was getting awfully cute at that time. Musicians were so concerned with writing counterpoint, that they were bringing infugues and passing them off as jazz charts. We were kind of fed up with that, so we tried to make a real jazz band. In some ways we succeeded, and in some ways we were still "West Coasters. We couldn't stop it entirely!" They made the 1958 recording, "Jive For Five" (Andex) consisting of material they played at the Jazz Basement, where they had a long steady gig. They also played at the first Monterey Jazz Festival on October 5, 1958.
  18. new Japanese Enja series in Jan

LOL! Teenagers = Rage for sure!
  19. new Japanese Enja series in Jan

Teenagers?
  20. What vinyl are you spinning right now??

OK your are the judge. Here are the deliquents
  21. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Reissued this month, this Octave Records release of Erroll Garner, "Up in Erroll's Room," is perhaps my favorite. A huge piano sound, and . . . that amazing playing. Yes there is cheese. . .and ham, it's a record by one of the most extroverted pianists ever. But there's also chewy rye, and lots of mustard, and buttery lettuce. And the other two thirds of the trio do exactly the right things for the boss!
  22. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Now listening to the music originally released on the LP Hip Twist (Prestige, 1962).
  1. Load more activity