All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Today
  3. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

May I join you in worshipping at the shrine of Bird, Fats, Allen and Ernie? So nice to see music of this era played! I'm almost tempted to start a thread titled "Playing Favourites: Reflections on Jazz of the Later 1940s", but am too lazy.
  4. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Fats Navarro was an extremely talented player. So sad he was gone so soon! As for the Royal Roost recordings, there is yet another release, on the Jazz View label. But I haven't compared the material on these two-cds pack with the Fresh Sound disc. Agreed on Allen Eager, a marvellous player sadly underrecorded! Ernie Henry is another hidden gem, to be found in several Fats Navarro recordings for Blue Note and Savoy. Yesssssss!!!
  5. The Bill Holman thread

A fine book that opened my ears even further to Mel's drumming. Saw the Holman band at the Wigan Jazz Festival in the late '90s round about the time they recorded the Monk tribute album. Great to see Californian veterans like Bill Perkins and Bob Enevoldsen so far from their home territory. The same venue also gave me the opportunity to see Mel in his final year. In his orchestra of youngsters it was Ralph Lalama's wonderful tenor playing that most stuck in my mind.
  6. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

In the morning .... :
  7. Sexiest album covers

8. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Piano Concertos Nos. 1 t/m 5
  9. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Now I came to the CD Nr. 4, the last one. Oh, all that Music, and the great Thing is you hear the whole tunes, not only Bird, but all the fine solos done by Kenny Dorham, Al Haig, and two guests Lucky Thompson and Milt Jackson. Maybe that´s why I hadn´t purchased the Dean Benedetti stuff, because I prefer to hear the whole tunes, starting with Bird and than with the great musicians who played with him. So this is among the very best Bird live stuff I ever heard…….,
  10. What Are You Watching

Yes, I saw them all. Great show. Not sure if there will be a Season 3 however.
  11. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Great ! I bought this in 1978 with another cover and it became a "hit" among my Friends. We all hummed those catchy tunes "The Squirrel" "Good Bait", "Our Delight", and don´t forget Allen Eager, he is great on those sides. But we were mis-lead by the wrong cover notes of our Musidisc LP, it said it was done in 1949 at Birdland. Later I found out it was made at the Roost.
  12. What music did you buy today?

Yes it’s: Nommo Live in Tokyo vol.1 and vol. 2 The Loadstar Live in Amsterdam Confirmation (this one has Calvin Hill on bass in stead of Reggie Workman)
  13. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Haydn (Quatuor Mosaiques)
  14. BFT 191

Yes, it certainly is, and we also know Wheeler is on the track. That leaves the pianist. Hint: This is not an ECM album.
  15. I only recently acquired the box. Just spun the Bach disc and it is outstanding.
  16. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Mongo at Montreux is the subject of today's entry on my 70s jazz blog, PLAYING FAVORITES.
  17. I’m seeing the band on 3/3. Not sure if it’s two sets or one long set. If I love it, I’ll be back for a second night later in the week Jazz Gallery in NYC 3/3 through 3/7
  18. Benny Goodman with Charlie Christian

Thanks Mr. Doodie.
  19. Benny Goodman with Charlie Christian

Me, but fuck Facebook.
  20. What Are You Watching

Anyone into Secret City? Sorry if I missed earlier posts.
  21. BFT 191

Went back and listened to some of these again. No idea how I heard Scofield on #12, I gotta take the cotton outta my ears. That's John Abercrombie.
  1. Load more activity