All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb (Liberty, 1970)
  3. Branford slams Miles

I just looked at Amazon to see what the cost is on "Warriors" and find that it's $10 for a CD, $20 for an LP but only $2.67 for an MP3 download -- just three long tracks at 89 cents each. Don't they usually charge more for longer tracks to keep some kind of parity on pricing?
  4. Branford slams Miles

I'll give Branford full credit for developing his craft.
  5. Branford slams Miles

I too have kept out of these (plural) debates regarding the Marsalis family. I do have opinions, but don't see the point of entering the turmoil taking place. I am only posting to say that I found Mark Stryker's most recent comments to make a great deal of sense in more ways than one.
  6. Branford slams Miles

Thanks for this. I don't know the record. BTW -- Bobby Battle is a Detroiter. He makes a cameo in my book as part of a hilarious anecdote that sheds some light on the racial politics of the late '60s.
  7. Branford slams Miles

Hey, it's almost like 1978!
  8. Shirley Scott

That would've been great: • The Complete Shirley Scott on Prestige. • The Complete Don Patterson on Prestige. • The Complete Johnny "Hammond" Smith on New Jazz/Prestige etc. For Trudy Pitts, I just want to hear the complete Club Baron recordings (if any additional tracks exist).
  9. Branford slams Miles

I have been sitting out the substantive debate here over Branford and will continue to do so. But I do feel compelled to say that whether you are fer'em or agin'em (or somewhere in between 'em), you really can't make an honest judgement about the state of his music today unless you take the time to listen to something recent. I see references earlier in this thread from Branford's friends and enemies to records from 2004 and 2006 and some that go back to the late '80s -- that's a LONG time ago. Branford's current band has mostly been together for nearly 20 years, and if the last record you heard was something from more than a decade ago, that's not where the band is at today (and doesn't include the current drummer, Justin Faulkner). I think Branford sounds different than he used to, and so does the band. Some may think the music sounds better, some may think it sounds worse. Some may hear the differences as nothing more than re-arranging deck chairs on the Titantic. But it is different. At this point, I'm not talking about the meta debate about whether the Marsalis are/were good or bad for jazz, or the debate over innovation vs. conservatism, or the neo-liberalism critique of the jazz business, or whether Branford's latest remarks about Miles are ignorant or insightful. I'm just talking about the music itself and what it does or does not have to offer. At the same time, I also wonder whether folks who have been so invested for 25 or 30 years in either the pro-Marsalis or anti-Marsalis camp -- for any reason be it musical, personal, sociological, capricious or the result of a carefully considered aesthetic or political worldview -- can at this point even listen objectively enough to change their pre-existing opinions. I'm certainly not immune to this reality with certain musicians. There are neuron pathways in my brain that by now have been locked into place for so long that anything I hear by some players tends to result in confirmation bias one way or the other. Dammit -- why are we all so, um, human? Anyway, here's Branford's latest record. Listen (or not). Comment (or not).
  10. What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

Piano Sonatas - No.25, Op.79, No.26, Op.81a "Les Adieux", No.27, Op.90
  11. Branford slams Miles

12. Branford slams Miles

You are dramatically mixing up your Kenny G's.
  13. Today
  14. Gil Evans Charts For Skinnay Ennis???

Ok, then, if that's what he was writing for that band, I suggest that this might also be one? "All Of Me"
  15. Bill Evans in England CD

The CD, along with the Wes Montgomery, arrived today.
  16. June 19 BN Japanese Reissues - uncommon titles

Yes, my typing error.
  17. A Slew of Box Sets for Sale (Mosaic, Avant, and More)

Somebody should jump on that Carmell Jones box at $40. It's one of my most-spun Selects. Outstanding material.
  18. Now reading...

An excellent writer and an engrossing police procedural. 2nd reading to prepare for the two following books in the series.
  19. Branford slams Miles

yeah- I like smooth jazz-- im just never got into kenny directly but i was never a fan of sidestepping avant-garde post bop jazz!
  20. Gil Evans Charts For Skinnay Ennis???

I have an old CD collection of Halloween-related jazz that cites this track as a Gil Evans arrangement for Ennis. Evidently Allen Lowe used it as well for the Devilin' Tune anthology... I'll have to go check his notes for it when I get home from the station:
  21. Bill Evans in England CD

It is good - very atmospheric recording in very acceptable sound. I have been playing the 2LP version over the past week.
  22. The Mills Brothers, Welk, & Lockjaw

Funny I just got one of the Basie/Mills Brothers collaborations by mistake in a discogs order. Now that I find this thread I kinda want to hear Lock on these tunes ... still would prefer the Buck Clayton jam session for the same lousy $1.
  23. Branford slams Miles

My pleasure! I would say that's a hard call, personally. But I think Branford is the superior musician to Wynton, so I guess I'd have to also say that Garrett is as well. But Wynton has Black Codes (From The Underground), Think Of One, and the Village Vanguard box which are also excellent.
  24. Branford slams Miles

Ah in that case I agree. Don’t like all his output but Pursuance, Standard of Language and Beyond the Wall are all very nice records. But also think it’s hard to compare a saxophone player to a trumpet player... anyway thanks for explaining Scott
  25. Branford slams Miles

The symbol for greater than.
  1. Load more activity