Robert Middleton

Members
  • Content count

    32
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Robert Middleton

  • Rank
    Member
  • Birthday 03/09/1952

Profile Information

  • Gender Male
  • Location Santa Cruz Mountains
  • Interests Jazz, duh and non-duality
  1. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

    A playlist of the first 20 years of ECM. About 200 albums in all. I think these were the greatest ECM years with a lot of classic, beautiful albums. And, for the most part, a lot more distinctive than the last 30 years. Albums from these artists: Arild Andersen, Bass Desires, Bennie Maupin, Bill Connors, Bill Frisell, Carla Bley, Chick Corea, Collin Walcott, Dave Holland, Dave Liebman, Eberhard Weber, Egberto Gismonti, Enrico Rava, Gary Burton, Jack DeJohnette, Jan Garbarek, John Abercrombie, John Surman, Keith Jarrett, Kenny Wheeler, Miroslav Vitous, Pat Metheny, Paul Bley, Ralph Towner, Steve Kuhn, Steve Tibbitts, and Terje Rypdal. An amazing body of work.
  2. My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

    Yeah, this looks like a good one! Garzone is great but only have a few of his albums. Plus Erskine and Pasquale. And three discs!
  3. My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

    Well, they're spitting 'em out as a prodigious rate. Ninety-three for me so far this year. Makin' 'em and bakin' 'em. And some are mighty delicious.
  4. My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

    Yeah, pure vinyl. But I haven't bought one in more than 30 years.
  5. My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

    Well, we focus on what we like the most. I'm kinda obsessed with collecting new jazz. It's a little overwhelming because there's always something new coming out. When I think of my collection, I think of "old jazz" as everything before 1969 and "new jazz" as everything after. My collection is 20% old and 80% new. Nice to see you here, HF. It's been a long time since the AAJ Forum! Cheers, RM
  6. My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

    You DO need it. LOL. I love jazz albums that stand alone, that don't sound quite like anything else. And this fits the bill. Hussain has some amazing solos and Llloyd really soars. It's in the top 50 of all my albums. Cheers, RM By the way, I mentioned the one by Ghost Rhythms. Their previous CD "Madeline" is an alternate soundtrack to Hitchcock's Vertigo. An astounding piece of music. Nothing out there remotely like it. Double album. You can hear it on: Bandcamp: https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/album/madeleine
  7. My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

    It's really good. Love anything that Holland and Potter do, but with Hussain, it's a magical combination. One of the best of the year, IMHO. Do you have Sangam by Charles Lloyd with Hussain and Eric Harland? One of my very favorite albums. Never gets old. Thanks, I'll check out some of these!
  8. There have been some really good jazz albums released this year - especially by my favorite artists. These are my 20 favorites for 2019, so far (in the order in which I got them). My only criteria for favorite albums is that I'm compelled to listen to them many times (sometimes for years). * for albums from artists that are new for me this year What are your favorites for this year? Glitter Wolf - Allison Miller Infinity - Tom Harrell Animi - Shauli Einav Voyage - Daniel Herskedal Stomping Off From Greenwood - Greg Ward Pacifica - The Vampires Come What May - Joshua Redman Scopes - Scopes, Ben Van Gelder, Tony Tixier Ten - Beats & Pieces Big Band *Very Stable Genius - Bryan McAllister The Balance - Abdullah Ibrahim Hidden Corners - Jamie Saft Quartet Beyond Us - Angles 9 Where are You? - Kevin Hays, Mark Turner & Marc Miralta *The Hunter - Skyjack SuperBigmouth - Chris Lightcap Live At Yoshiwara - Ghost Rhythms Golden Valley is Now - Reid Anderson, Dave King & Craig Taborn Good Hope - Dave Holland, Zakir Hussain & Chris Potter Blue Dawn - Blue Nights - Wallace Roney Cheers, RM
  9. The 80-20 principle of listening to jazz albums

    Yeah, I keep discovering old stuff that I kinda missed the first time around. I listen to most of my jazz on iTunes through a pre-amp and amplifier, so my whole collection is at my fingertips. I create a lot of segmented playlists so I can easily get back to the music I enjoy the most. Kinda wish I could get rid of more stuff. But I'm attached... Every once in awhile I get rid of something I just don't like. But everything else is on tap 24/7.
  10. Ever heard of the 80-20 principle? It states that 80% of the results come from 20% of the actions. And 20% of the results come from the other 80% of the actions. More or less. In jazz collections, I hypothesize that 80% of your jazz listening is from 20% of your albums. And the other 80% get just 20% of your listening time. More or less. For instance: I buy about 100 or so albums a year from the current year. And I'm lucky if I have 15 or 20 that I like enough to listen to over and over again. And the other 80 mostly get ignored after hearing them once or twice. The problem is that I have albums going back to the '50's. Thousands of 'em. And I know that some I will never listen to again in my lifetime. Is this true for you? Do you care? Does your unlistened-to-music miss you? Cheers, RM
  11. Charles Lloyd Quartet - Swiss Radio Days Jazz 46

    I have the three albums Lloyd released in 1967 - Journey Within, Love In and In the Soviet Union. I liked all of these, so hoping the Montreux set is comparable. Clearly, Lloyd is coming to the end of his career/life, but I love everything he does. His tone is not as strong as before, but something truly radiant pours out of him. I've only seen him live once at the Monterey Jazz Festival when he was playing with his Sangam trio which was incredible. (That album is one of my favorites of all time.)
  12. George Coleman's "The Quartet"

    Coleman also played on five of Chet Baker's albums for Prestige in the mid-60s. They kinda paralleled Miles' Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin', and Workin' of about 10 years earlier. They were held in a marathon session on August 23, 25 & 29, 1965, also like Miles did for his final Prestige albums. They were condensed into 3 albums sometimes later. Lonely Star, On a MIsty Night and Stairway to the Stars. Good playing from both Chet and George.
  13. Jan Garbarek

    What the hell happened to Garbarek's recording career? I have just about all his albums and a ton of them as a sideman. 59 in all. Witchi-Tai-To may be my favorite, but I've enjoyed them all to some degree or the other over the years. The last one I have is the double live album, Dresen from 2009. Officium Novum came out in 210 and nary a peep since. But according to his website he still doing a lot of concerts all over Europe. But no more recordings for almost 10 years. Wonder why?
  14. John Coltrane - Blue World

    OK, I bought it, I downloaded it. I listened to it. I liked it. But wasn't wowed by it. Two Directions at once was much more interesting. It's just that there was only one new track, Blue World. On to the next. Liking the new Nat Birchall tribute to Yusef Lateef, The Storyteller. Most of Birchall's albums have been inspired by Coltrane's spiritual side. So this one is a nice change. If it was a toss-up, I'd get the Birchall.
  15. Miles Davis’ lost album “Rubberband” set for release

    That’s quite a video!