Chick Corea - "Rendezvous In New York"

Kari S

Has anyone heard this yet (or were you at the BN then...)? I'm not sure if it's been released yet, but it is Chick's latest and it's a 2xCD from the time he had his "birthday bash" at the Blue Note. Three (?) tunes are duets with Bobby McFerrin, two are with the Akoustic Band. Then there's one duet with Gary Burton and another with Gonzalo Rubalcaba. There's one tune each from the "Now He Sings..." trio, Origin, the New Trio, the Bud Powell band and the "Three Quartets" band.

Three tunes with Bobby McFerrin. Why? :wacko:

A DVD will also be released soon. It might be B) er .

Has anyone heard this yet (or were you at the BN then...)? I'm not sure if it's been released yet, but it is Chick's latest and it's a 2xCD from the time he had his "birthday bash" at the Blue Note. Three (?) tunes are duets with Bobby McFerrin, two are with the Akoustic Band. Then there's one duet with Gary Burton and another with Gonzalo Rubalcaba. There's one tune each from the "Now He Sings..." trio, Origin, the New Trio, the Bud Powell band and the "Three Quartets" band.

Three tunes with Bobby McFerrin. Why? :wacko:

A DVD will also be released soon. It might be B) er .

I've had this for a little while now, and have listened about 2 1/2 times so far. Sounds like they had a lot of fun, but I may have to agree about the quantity of McFerrin duets. But, I have to say I'm not ready to make that judgment just yet; need more listening.

I must say that, IMO, the multichannel mix of this Hybrid disc is sumptuous! Beautifully recorded; I'll be spending more time with this over the weekend.

Package also included (which I've already misplaced) a reply card if interested in a possible DVD/VHS release of the ENTIRE 9 set show! Seems like a wonderfully ambitious project. I hope it's successful. Hybrid set (single inventory release) is priced reasonable at I believe around $22.99. Go get one!

I bought this Saturday. I think it's an excellent album so far. The duet with Burton, the Akoustic Band and New Trio cuts are particularly impressive. I think the Akoustic Band cuts show that Dave Weckl has some feeling now, not the supposed all "chops" I've heard about. The regular CD mix sounds good too. Can't hear the SACD layer unfortunately.