Favorite Brown-Roach Album

White Lightning

What's your favorite studio Brown-Roach Album  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which of this incredible combo's studio albums do you prefer?

I've neem listening a lot to Brownie lately - Tadd Dameron sides, Blue Notes, Paris sessions, Emarcy, bootlegs. I simply can't get enough of Brownie.

My vote goes to Study in Brown: Harold Land was, I think, a more suitable partner to Brownie and Roach than Newk; The arrangements of Cherokee and Take the "A" Train are classics and I haven't even discussed the playing by everyone.

A tough vote! I think I would go for "Study In Brown" - that was a recording I got pretty early in my jazz listening phase, and I always loved it.

However, I would have to listen to all of them again (actually, I would have to listen to the whole Brownie box again...). How do the VMEs compare with the box? Much better?

ubu

Being a Newk nut, I had to go with Basin Street, although all the albums mentioned are essential in my view. Don't know why there are those who think that Land is a more "suitable" front line mate. There are numerous occasions where Newk begins a solo quoting where Brownie left off and vice versa. As far as I'm concerned, the replacement of Land by Rollins puts this band on the same high level in the '50s as the Miles Davis Quintet with Coltrane. "What is This Thing Called Love", "Gertrude's Bounce", etc. - this is what jazz is all about.

I personally don't think the VMEs are "much better" than the box set. An improvement. . . yes.

The Japanese 24 bit cds are better to my ears on my system.

I voted for "At Basin Street."

Thanks, Lon - I shall keep this in mind and *occasionally* update...

ubu

Sonny Rollins Plus 4 and "Clifford Brown and Max Roach". Seeing the many votes the latter has gathered, I've voted for Sonny Rollins Plus 4.

edit: Could not vote actually as I've clicked on the show results button which also led me to give a null vote I believe.

Edited by gnhrtg

I voted for 'Plus 4'. The main reason being I'm not a great fan of Harold Land but think Rollins and Brownie were the kids on the block. The only other choice for me was the 'Basin Street' disc, but the two Rollins originals on Plus 4 snatch it.

It also has more of a 'gig' feel to it. Not many albums give you that sense of being there; even many live albums just give the impression of hearing a historical document. Plus 4 always put me in the club environment.