John Coltrane Quintet with Eric Dolphy

Dmitry

I've had this cd for a few years, haven't played it in a while, well, it's playing right now, looks like a boot, sounds mediocre, but the music is first-rate.

d13266t8w1l.jpg

Cover art, production and everything else by Ron Warwell. In the liner blurb Warwell writes that he first saw Trane & Dolphy at the Blue Cornet[sic] [should be CorOnet, I think], and that's about it. I assume the recording was done at that venue in 1961-2 or so.

Does anyone know where and when this music was recorded?

AMG page

judging from the titles & playing times listed on AMG it's the Hamburg November 1961 live material. It is included in the Pablo European Tours box, sound is crappy but okay, nothing topnotch, but it doesn't detract from the playing very much.

One never ceases to learn, although I do remember reading that not all info on that box was correct. Do you have more precise info on the date?

And more broadly: where are the identity mistakes on the Pablo box and what's the correct info?

In the liner blurb Warwell writes that he first saw Trane & Dolphy at the Blue Cornet[sic] [should be CorOnet, I think]

This got me curious, even though it may be trivial. I think you're right that the club was called "The Blue CorOnet", but it would make more sense to me if a jazz club was called "The Blue Cornet", since a "cornet" is a brass instrument, and a "coronet" is a crown worn by a princess. :mellow:

• 1 year later...

I knew the owner of Black Label and wrote a couple of liner notes for his releases. He never did manage to include any documentation about the dates and venues of the music and this was before I had access to the web or Tom Lord's Jazz Discography.

I'll have to check my Coltrane discography and my latest Lord CD-Rom at home to provide a definitive answer for the date and location of the Coltrane/Dolphy Black Label CD.

The club mentioned in Brooklyn was most definitely called the 'Blue Coronet'. I believe it was up and running from the mid-60s through to the mid-70s. Of course, it's particular connection with Jackie McLean and the band with Grachan Moncur (where they rehearsed much of the material for 'One Step Beyond') is well known. An incredible lineup of players graced the Blue Coronet during that period (Miles, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard etc etc.)

The tracks in question are supposed to be from Birdland, February 9, 1962. On several CD releases (including Charly) there is also a fourth track, Body And Soul, which is from a later Birdland date, June 2, 1962, and without Dolphy.

It's odd that Fantasy did such a sloppy discographical job for the Live Trane box. Click here for David Wild's reply to the Fantasy spokesperson which makes an interesting read, and also addresses these Birdland (not Hamburg!) recordings.

A pity this date couldn't have been recorded better... I've had this CD for a number of years, and the sound is appalling. Fidelity concerns notwithstanding, this album has some of the finest JC Quartet playing I've heard--and Dolphy is, well, Dolphy (always welcome). It's doubly regrettable that the Dolphy/Trane partnership never got its proper due (recording-wise, canonically), especially considering the sheer quality of these performances. The two horns sustain an inhuman degree of energy, catalyzed, propelled by a superlative rhythm section. Dolphy's alto, in particular, is just diabolical--he's Coltrane's ebullient, luminescent foil, weightless and bright where his doppelganger is heavy and brooding. The spirit is infectious. Listen to the flute entrance on "My Favorite Things"--such passion, joie de vivre. This is definitely one of those dates where the music transcends the "listening experience."

Sorry, had to gush.