Johnny Hodges Mosaic.

You gotta love the Rabbit! Maybe this one´s the second in my Favorite Mosaics ranking (first is the Eldridge, by a hair).

Very homogeneus music. Very beautiful music. With its limitations, due to his stylistic approach and leaning toward ballads and blues, Hodges´ is one the most identifiable alto saxes in jazz history. And member of MY trilogy: Carter/Hodges/Parker.

Just my two cents.

I'm listening to the Johnny Hodges Mosaic as I type these words (newly arrived today!). I'm enjoying this box very much so far. Very Ellingtonian, for sure.

On Disk One, Black And Tan Fantasy, who is playing the muted trumpet? Ray Nance or Clark Terry? The liner notes don't make it clear (it appears there has been some confusion in the past?). This is some of the best muted trumpet I've ever heard. It sounds like the player is, literally, talking through his instrument. As if he is saying real words rather than musical notes. Very nice.

• 12 years later...

I reached out to a couple of people on this forum, but decided to ask all of you who own the the Johhny Hodges Moasic 1956-61 Box set.  I just bought a copy from a seller on Amazon.  I bought knowing that the outer box was torn where the label connects the top and bottom, and has the title on that spine.  Any chance someone can scan that side panel  and email to me, so I can copy and glue it on. At least then I can read the box from the self. 

The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956-1961

Howard

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Revisiting this one for the first time in many years tonight. Sitting here with some windows open because it’s so warm for November, and this music sounding lovely and perfect for a late Sunday evening. 

Check out the funny review of this set on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Hodges-The-Complete-Verve-Johnny-Hodges-Small-Group-Sessions-1956-61/release/2870305