Johnny Hodges Mosaic.

This week I've been listening to The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956 - 61, and it has reminded me how truly great Hodges was as a player.

200.jpg

I've come to the realization that this is the best Mosaic ever. Every other song, my jaw drops to the floor, and I say to myself in amazement: "Did you just hear what the Rabbit played!!! :excited: " There is no substandard Hodges solo here, (I don't think he ever recorded one) and the sidemen are in top form. No musical revolutions here, just music played with the highest skill possible. All I can say is that if you ever considered buying this set, do yourself a huge favor -- do it. Just had to get this off my chest.

Edited by Matthew

Believe me, all they have to do is say this one is "running", and I'll find the way to get it before they can get out "low". No way this one is going to get away!

Sorry to tell you this Moose, but I just bought each and every copy up to sell on ebay at a later date! :(

I'm gonna be a millionaire! ;)

I'm planning, as a definite, to purchase the J.J. Johnson Mosaic this-coming week. I was considering adding the Elvin Jones Mosaic to the same order. Damn, now I have to consider, instead, the Johnny Hodges box.

Or, maybe I should just get all three Mosaics? Along with the most recent two Selects? Yeah, yeah, now I'm talkin'. ^_^

I found Mosaic long after the first Hodges box was out of print...since then have pieced together all the materal with single CD, CD-R, etc. While it's undoubtedly fine stuff, the 2nd Mosaic box of slightly later material smokes it, in terms of both musical quality and SOUND. Malcolm Addey did his usual wizardry with original tapes that were already generously well-recorded for the day, and the result is nothing short of magical. I agree with everything Matthew says, this is one of the strongest Mosaics.

I don't think this should lessen anyone's appettite for the set (I have it on my list, but don't plan to get it too soon, unless it runs low): they failed to include two alternates from the "Blues-A-Plenty" session, available on the 2CD release by Ben Webster, "The Soul of Ben Webster":

B000001EEQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is a superb release, anyway, back from the days when Verve did it right. It includes an album each by Webster, Hodges and Harry Edison, all (obviously) featuring Webster.

ubu

Oh, I'm glad you metioned this Verve reissue. Just seeing the cover of it warms my heart. It is :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup A real favorite of mine, and highly recommended to all who, at the present time, may be too "financially challenged" to buy the Mosaic set. The Webster is a bargain too, because, as I recall, it has something like 155 + minutes of music.

I love both Hodges Mosaics, not sure that the second half of the first one isn't as good as any half of the second. . . .

I do want to mention something: I really love Malcolm Addey's work, but in many of the Mosaics, I think we also need to laud the work of the TRANSFERRER, in this case the credits are:

Tape transfers: Jeff Willins

Mastered using 24-bit resolution by Malcolm Addey

Jeff Willins did a great job as well as Malcolm Addey!

I'm in the same boat as DrJ as far as the first Hodges box is concerned. I only have that one old Verve CD, lousy one, but good music. Never heard the rest of the music... :(

Now as we are discussing already other music than the second Mosaic, let me add a recommendation:

B0000089WL.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This release is sort of a dry-run for Hodges' years outside the Duke's orbit (well, musically not, of course). The first (of three dates) features Don Byas, Harold Baker, Jimmy Hamilton, Quentin Jackson are on all the tracks. (And the Hawk date is good, too).

ubu

I don't think this should lessen anyone's appettite for the set (I have it on my list, but don't plan to get it too soon, unless it runs low): they failed to include two alternates from the "Blues-A-Plenty" session, available on the 2CD release by Ben Webster, "The Soul of Ben Webster":

B000001EEQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is a superb release, anyway, back from the days when Verve did it right. It includes an album each by Webster, Hodges and Harry Edison, all (obviously) featuring Webster.

ubu

Yes, that was another Uncomplete set from Mosaic!

But the second Hodges box from Mosaic was superb music with quite a lot of new material.

Always loved Hodges but this box grows on me every time I listen to it.

After all my whining, I placed my Johnny Hodges order, via the Mosaic site, only a few minutes ago.

Fek! Fek you, Matthew. :P

You and DrJ are the worst. :lol::lol::lol:

If it's any help, I have zero interest in the Morgan/Shorter & Kelly/Chambers Mosaics -- too many alternate takes for my taste.