*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

Anyone have more details on the new triple LP, THE MYSTERY OF BEING (non CD) KLIMT release of two of Sun Ra's Horo double Lp's ie New Steps & Other Voices..

KLIMT apppears to be associated with the Italian Abraxas label, I presume a pirate operation? (Italian equivalent to the Fresh Sound stable of labels)

This has got to be a bootleg - different title & cover art work

Actually, has there been any further news re the proposed legit Horo releases

Ah, those long awaited Horo reissues. I predict that in 2050, those of us still alive will be discussing Horo and when will the Horo albums see their first official reissue.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I've acquired quite a few since my first post on page 8 or so. Here is what I have now. Most are CDs; Several are twofer CDs. A few LPs here and there:

Angels & Demons/Nubians

Atlantis

Batman

Calling Planet Earth

Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow

Crystal Spears

Cymbals

Fate in a Pleasant Mood/When the Sun Comes Out

Futuristic Sounds of

Jazz in Silhouette

Magic City

Monorails and Satellites

My Brother the Wind Vol 2

Outer Spaceways Incorporated (a.k.a Pictures of Infinity)

Outer Space Unemployment Agency (Live 1973)

Planet Earth/Low Ways

Secrets of the Sun

The Singles

Sound of Joy

Sound Sun Pleasure!!

Space is the Place

Space Towers (compilation)

Spaceship Lullaby (The Vocal Groups)

Spaceways (different album from the one directly following)

Spaceways/Bad and Beautiful

Strange Strings

Sun Song

Supersonic Jazz

Most of these I've acquired randomly as I encounter them, but most are from the 50s and 60s. Still haven't got Languidity.

The 50s/early 60s stuff kind of appeals to me because of the exotica influence. There is something really compelling about Sun Ra's oddball world view (galactic view?) when juxtaposed against the more accepted jazz and pop approaches of that period.

I love all of these for different reasons. I have had a hard time getting into Atlantis for some reason, even though I really love the other albums from around the same time. I'm really into the Magic City lately.

My least favorites are the vocal groups and singles collections, although the latter has some gems.

Overall, my 2 (4) favorites are Angels & Demons/Nubians and Fate in a Pleasant Mood/When the Sun Comes Out.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Just received an email from Leo Records - new Sun Ra double release coming up - doesn't appear to be listed on the Leo Website yet

GY 30/31 Sun Ra; Live in Ulm, 1992

The music world is marking 100th anniversary of Sun Ra's birthday. We are happy to join the celebration by releasing the performance in Ulm, Germany, in 1992. This double CD documents the concert as it happened — 100 minutes of relentless drive, 17 compositions with hardly any poses between the pieces.

GY30_31.170737.jpg

• 4 months later...

Has anyone checked out these Sun Ra reissues remastered for iTunes? The tapes are apparently supplied by a longtime band member, and the source material is supposedly way better than much of what was released during the digital era. I have no idea if they are planning to issue these as CDs or in any other lossless format. I am no fan of mp3s, but based on a few samples that I've heard, I dunno.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I recall reading elsewhere either on this forum or on Steve Hoffman's forum that these Sun Ra titles on iTunes sound great as well. I have not checked it out myself as I'm decidedly still low-tech with my records and CDs but id be curious hear more about these. That said I have most of the Sun Ra I need on original vinyl but there are a few titles like "jazz in silhouette" that I only have on Evidence CD so that might be one for me to check out myself...

Has anyone checked out these Sun Ra reissues remastered for iTunes? The tapes are apparently supplied by a longtime band member, and the source material is supposedly way better than much of what was released during the digital era. I have no idea if they are planning to issue these as CDs or in any other lossless format. I am no fan of mp3s, but based on a few samples that I've heard, I dunno.

longtime band member

>>

michael anderson was in the band from late 1978 to early 1979. then got relegated to being the custodian of the tapes.

longtime band member

>>

michael anderson was in the band from late 1978 to early 1979. then got relegated to being the custodian of the tapes.

So does anyone know why are we getting the tapes only now? Why weren't they used for the CD reissues in the 1990s?

because they want to sell the new reissues?

i don't think there was any mention of "physical" reissues, but they said that the material would be available on amazon mp3 digital purchase section at end of 2014.

a lot of these new itunes reissues have previously unissued bonus tracks. they are marked as such on the respective itunes track lists.