• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.10.2020 at 11:47 PM, Late said:

a2623937178_10.jpg

A legit reissue (Enterplanetary Koncepts) of this:

R-2981328-1414082933-3829.jpeg.jpg

"Unity" was my first Sun Ra Album. And the rare quartet Album "Steps Ahead". Unity and Steps had very similar covers…..

On Unity Sun Ra Plays mostly the organ, which is rare, usually when I saw them live he mostly played the acoustic piano, plus some small Keyboards....

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, kh1958 said:

96 years old Marshall Allen continues to lead the Arkestra, with the first new studio album in 20 years, Swirling, about to be released on Strut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/arts/music/sun-ra-arkestra-swirling.html

Great article About Marshall Allen. I saw the Arkestra last year in spring, they were great ! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Lanquidity box set now up for pre-order at Strut's Bandcamp 

https://sunrastrut.bandcamp.com/album/lanquidity-definitive-edition

Just seeing at that link, that there’s a 2CD option too!!  YIPPIE!!!!!  :excited:

(Until just a minute ago, I was under the strong impression — because no one could say otherwise (in the ongoing Sun Ra mega-thread on the Steve Hoffman forums  — that it was going to be 2LP’s or download only, NEITHER of which I was especially interested in, even for something as tempting as this.)

Anyone have either of the LP sets that Roaratorio put out that are still in print: The Intergalactic Thing or Sun Embassy? Good vinyl quality? Albums pulled from tapes during the Philly era so the music's good I'm sure. 

Their other one, Sign of the Myth went OOP quick as it was one of the forsaken Impulse sessions...

Ah, I missed another Ra LP from Roaratorio, Other Strange Worlds, which is also OOP. 

From what I can tell the material this label released doesn't really appear anywhere else, at least anywhere that's really accessible. These seem to fly under the radar while Strut and Modern Harmonic get more pub. 

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Anyone have either of the LP sets that Roaratorio put out that are still in print: The Intergalactic Thing or Sun Embassy? Good vinyl quality? Albums pulled from tapes during the Philly era so the music's good I'm sure. 

Their other one, Sign of the Myth went OOP quick as it was one of the forsaken Impulse sessions...

I  have all of the Roaratoria Sun Ra lps that you mentioned - The Intergalactic Thing, Sun Embassy, Other Strange Worlds, Sign of the Myth.

Roaratoria does a very nice job: quality pressings and nice record sleeves, artwork, etc.

My favorite of those 4 is probably The Intergalactic Thing - great music and sound quality. Other Strange Worlds is wonderful as well and is kind of a companion to the legendary album, Strange Strings, in which Ra gave each musician an instrument other than the musician's chosen instrument and had the musicians play insruments they were not familiar with. Great stuff.

The only one of the 4 I was somewhat disappointed with was Sun Embassy. I bought a copy of that one last month and the sound quality and music is rather all over the place. I am sure the sound quality has to do with the original tapes not being in the best condition. The music consists of recordings/rehearsals at the Sun Ra house in Philadelphia. It is a mixed bag. Some songs are really good and others are definitely just rehearsal bits and fragments. Sound quality also unfortunately varies quite a bit from song to song on that release. I would say that Sun Embassy is really only for the Sun Ra completist.

But I can highly recommend the other 3 records - The Intergalactic Thing, Other Strange Worlds, and Sign of the Myth. Excellent music and sound quality.

Edited by pglbook

4 minutes ago, pglbook said:

I  have all of the Roaratoria Sun Ra lps that you mentioned - The Intergalactic Thing, Sun Embassy, Other Strange Worlds, Sign of the Myth.

Roaratoria does a very nice job: quality pressings and nice record sleeves, artwork, etc.

My favorite of those 4 is probably The Intergalactic Thing - great music and sound quality. Other Strange Worlds is wonderful as well and is kind of a companion to the legendary album, Strange Strings, in which Ra gave each musician an instrument other than the musician's chosen instrument and had the musicians play insruments they were not familiar with. Great stuff.

The only one of the 4 I was somewhat disappointed with was Sun Embassy. I bought a copy of that one last month and the sound quality and music is rather all over the place. I am sure the sound quality has to do with the original tapes not being in the best condition. The music consists of recordings/rehearsals at the Sun Ra house in Philadelphia. It is a mixed bag. Some songs are really good and others are definitely just rehearsal bits and fragments. Sound quality also unfortunately varies quite a bit from song to song on that release. I would say that Sun Embassy is really only for the Sun Ra completist.

But I can highly recommend the other 3 records - The Intergalactic Thing, Other Strange Worlds, and Sign of the Myth. Excellent music and sound quality.

Excellent. Good insight.

Nevertheless I ordered both available sets as the material just isn't as readily available elsewhere (Intergalactic & Sun Embassy). I learned these LPs are mastered for vinyl and cut by Carl Saff from tapes transferred by former Arkestra drummer Michael Anderson from his personal collection. I'm always happy to support grassroots labels putting in the work.