*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

I don't have very much Ra--I expect that soon enough I'll become obsessed and go on a rampage...

Right now, I've got:

Space is the Place (Impulse!)

Nothing Is...

Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 1 & 2

Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow

Outer Spaceways Incorporated

Singles (Evidence)

Greatest Hits (Evidence)

...What should I get next? I keep hearing that "Jazz in Silhouette" is really nice...

Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 1 & 2 is amazing.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two dozen of Saturn original vinyls from Sun Ra himself at his East Village house back in the mid-sixties. The one that really floored me was 'The Magic City'!

I continued buying his albums later. Also have a number of the new material on CDs.

Oh yes, the Magic City is very nice. It's too bad I didn't pick up some vinyl when I saw them 88-92.

I bought two dozen of Saturn original vinyls from Sun Ra himself at his East Village house back in the mid-sixties. The one that really floored me was 'The Magic City'!

I continued buying his albums later. Also have a number of the new material on CDs.

The Magic City is a real mind**** of an album. I remember putting it (I'd already heard Atlantis and Space is the Place) on for the first time while driving to a student council meeting in college. Upon hearing that wheezy organ, I was hooked. But that collective improv section still cracks my head open like a walnut sometimes. In a good way, of course.

The shorter pieces on the album are also excellent if not as mindblowing as the title suite. They're similar to what he was doing on both volumes of Heliocentric Worlds.

Guy

The Magic City is a real mind**** of an album. I remember putting it (I'd already heard Atlantis and Space is the Place) on for the first time while driving to a student council meeting in college. Upon hearing that wheezy organ, I was hooked. But that collective improv section still cracks my head open like a walnut sometimes. In a good way, of course.

The shorter pieces on the album are also excellent if not as mindblowing as the title suite. They're similar to what he was doing on both volumes of Heliocentric Worlds.

Guy

Ah yes. The Tuned percussion: tymps & marimba w/ some picciolo too. :tup

Only have two Sun Ra albums - Space Is The Place (Impulse) and Jazz in Silhouette. Some good stuff on both discs although I prefer the former.

Would explore more Sun Ra albums but for lack of dough and time. Maybe later, after I've recovered from an earlier Mosaic binge.

It's been four years since Evidence put out any Saturn (or related) reissues. I e-mailed Evidence some weeks ago about this, and their response (which I actually didn't expect to receive) was that no new Ra reissues were planned or upcoming. Damn! I wonder if it's money that's holding these things up. Though I'm not sure exactly how many, I think there are still a fairly large number of Saturns to see the light of day on disc. I know the two albums on the Saturn subsidiary Thoth — The Night of the Purple Moon and Strange Strings — made it onto vinyl reissue, but why not disc? I'd also like to see this one out:

secrets.jpg

Here's an alphabetical listing of Ra albums that I've found handy. Would be nice to see some of those last Saturns from the late 70's early 80's see reissue as well!

i could live without Atlantis circa 1967-1969.

from moudry discography:

these are nice 1969/70. dates are not exact.

My Brother the Wind Volume II

The Night of the Purple Moon is probably 1970, but maybe 1969

The Solar-Myth Approach

half of Space Probe is 69-70

for more correct info, you'd have to get the earthly recordings vol 2 discography.

1967/68 and earlier is totally different sun ra. it's not anything like the peak years (imo) of the 70's.

I actually really like Ra's 70's work, too — in large part because Michael Ray had joined the band. In fact, I just made a 70's compilation to play at home. 1973 was an amazing year for the Arkestra!

But ... 1959 also seems a pinnacle year. Angels and Demons at Play — it doesn't get much better. Let's all say it together: Plutonian Nights!