*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

These are nice 1969/70 dates ...

My Brother the Wind Volume II

Indeed. I really like the lyrics to "Somebody Else's World." Lineated as June Tyson sings them, they nearly form a sonnet — are one line off in fact, which seems fitting for Ra.

Somebody Else’s World

Somebody else’s idea

of somebody’s else’s world

is not my idea of things as they are.

Somebody else’s idea

of things to come

need not be the only way.

To vision the future:

What need to be need not be,

what need how to be,

for what was is only because of an adopted source of thee.

The chosen source as one

need not be the only planet

to build a world on.

Sun Ra

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have Sun Ra meets John Cage? As I recall, they don't actually play at the same time. I wondered about the rarity of this LP, which I bought from the band in the late 1980s.

This LP is actually downloadable as MP3s. They can be found here:

http://home.flash.net/~jronsen/cagelinks.html

Look for item 29 in the sound files section.

Edited by dsgtrane

Guest akanalog

just got this sun ra on horo called "new steps". album is from 1978.

it is a CD reissue. i got it at downtown music gallery-not sure if it is totally legit reissue.

it is quartet with gilmore, ray and ali. ra plays some bass on a basset and there is little synth.

the sound is not incredible but for some reason i really like this album.

they do "my favorite things" nicely.

the whole thing is real laidback-just one synth song really and one vocal song.

the groove of the album sort of reminds me of the first song on "lanquidity" but more laid back and quiet and non-electric.

the basset adds something too-sounds not too different than regular bass but it is a bit more bouncy.

just got this sun ra on horo called "new steps".  album is from 1978.

it is a CD reissue.  i got it at downtown music gallery-not sure if it is totally legit reissue.

Legit? Mmmm, yeah. What label is it on? I have doubts that its a legit release. (As far as I know, the Horo label owner hasn't licensed anything for reissue.)

Edited by alankin

Lanquidity is a nice album ...

I like it a lot. Somewhat "in the pocket" for Ra, but not without his musical signature or nuance. It also was very well-recorded, which adds to the listening pleasure. Check out "There Are Other Worlds They Have Not Told You Of" on headphones. A trip.

Lanquidity is a nice album ...

I like it a lot. Somewhat "in the pocket" for Ra, but not without his musical signature or nuance. It also was very well-recorded, which adds to the listening pleasure. Check out "There Are Other Worlds They Have Not Told You Of" on headphones. A trip.

:tup

Thank you, I'll try it. Already have the headphones, now it's only left to get that disc :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished listening to Atlantis again and am very impressed. The title track, in particular, is a beautifully chaotic mess.

How are Sun Ra's discs on Leo? Are any of them a cut above the rest? Are any worth avoiding?

Also, has anyone heard the recent Atavistic issue of Spaceship Lullabye? Sun Ra rehearsing with various vocal groups? Sounds like it could be really interesting or really dreadful.

Edited by John B

Guest ariceffron

THAT IS NOT TRUE-- THE BEST SUN RA IS HIS EARLY WORKS. YES THE LATER STUFF CAN BE AMAZING, BUT THE EARLY EGYPTIAN INFLUENCED WORK CIRCA 1960 IS HIS BEST MUSIC. I WOULD HAVE BY ALL MEANS DEVOTED A LARGE CHUNK OF MY TIME SPACING OUT AT THE WONDER INN LISTENING TO A CALL FOR ALL DEMONS IF I WAS AROUND THEN

I am not really a fan of the Leo releases. I have had them all at one time or another and notice that they have all left my, heavily, laden shelf devoted to Le Sony Ra. I have stuck with all the Evidence releases, not one of which was a less than stellar performance.Procede with caution is my advice, unless you are a complete Ra freak in which case what are you waiting for?

Also, has anyone heard the recent Atavistic issue of Spaceship Lullabye? Sun Ra rehearsing with various vocal groups? Sounds like it could be really interesting or really dreadful.

I'd actually flesh out the Evidence collection first, if you haven't already. The 2-disc "Lost Albums" set is a must. Some amazing Gilmore there. Also, searching out the 1978 Cosmos is worthwhile (if not top priority), and the hat disc is essential.

If you want to check out Ra with vocal groups, I'd look to see if your local library has a copy of The Singles. Some tracks work and some don't, but the tracks that work ("Sunrise in Outer Space," "I'm Gonna Unmask the Batman," and a wonderful pre-rap edition of "Rocket Number Nine") work well.

I'd prefer to pick up more of the Evidence reissues first but, as I recently rejoined emusic, I can get the Leos and Spaceship Lullabye for "free." This is greatly enhancing their appeal to me right now.

I've started a list of albums to pick up next time I place an order and at least two or three of the Evidence discs will be at the top of the list.

This makes me want to fill out my Evidence collection -> $$$ :w

It's one of the few times — or perhaps the only time — I'd say it about an artist on a specific label, but every title on Evidence is worthwhile. It's just a matter of personal preference on which ones to pick up. Eventually, if you get hooked, you'll want them all. Then you'll be e-mailing Evidence, asking why there hasn't been a Saturn reissue in over 4 years. 4 years ... and still so much in the vaults!

Been listening to the Angels & Demons/Nubians album quite a bit of late. Excellent music. Have also just ordered the following albums.

- Heliocentric Worlds-Vol.1

- Magic City

- Supersonic Jazz

- We Travel The Spaceways/Bad & Beautiful

Thanks to this thread, think I'll be quadrupling my Sun-Ra 'collection' in very short order. ;):rolleyes:

I just went over to the Evidence site and saw that they have all of their Sun Ra discs on sale for $12, free shipping on orders over $24.

I grabbed The Magic City, The Great Lost Albums 2cd set and Angels and Demons at Play.

Hard to beat this price. Hopefully they get enough orders in to continue their reissue program.

Edited by John B