*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

Sun Ra reissues on the horizon (per Dustygroove)

Sun Ra -- Beyond The Purple Star Zone (expanded 2CD edition) . . . CD

Around December 15, 2008

Tremendous lost work from Sun Ra -- recorded live in Detroit at the start of the 80s, and only ever issued briefly on a limited Saturn Records pressing! Given the show's setting in the Detroit underground, the material has an especially hip sound to it -- a return to some of the more righteous mode ...

Sun Ra -- Live In Rome 1980 . . . CD

Around June 15, 2008

Sun Ra -- Lost Reel Collection Vol 5 -- The Universe Sent Me . . . CD

Early May, 2008

Sun Ra -- On Jupiter . . . CD

Around August 15, 2008

Righteous Ra from the end of the 70s -- one of the most soulful albums ever by the Sun Ra Arkestra, and a lost treasure that's got some nice funky moments! The vibe here is very much in the Lanquidity/Disco 3000 mode -- an extrapolation of styles best known from the Space Is The Place era, tightene ...

Sun Ra -- Sleeping Beauty . . . CD

Around June 25, 2008

One of the most soulful Sun Ra albums ever -- very much on the Lanquidity tip, and done with a great mix of electric and acoustic instrumentation! The vibe here is really mellow, spiritual, and warm -- and the album actually feels a lot more like a session recorded for the Strata East label than it ...

Sun Ra -- Stars That Shine Darkly (expanded 2CD edition) . . . CD

Around October 15, 2008

Sun Ra All Stars -- Sun Ra All Stars -- Milan, Zurich, West Berlin, Paris 1983 (5CD box set) . . . CD

Around May 15, 2008

Sun Ra -- Sun Ra Live at Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium 12/11/74/1968 Pacifica Radio Interview (2CD set) . . . CD

Around July 15, 2008

Sun Ra -- Sun Ra Live At The Newport Jazz Festival 1969/Sun Ra Live At The Electric Circus 1968 . . . CD

Around June 15, 2008

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omniverse

Now there's a Ra album that's worth reissuing.

Omniverse

Saturn 91379

Side A:

The Place of Five Points

West End Side of Magic City

Dark Lights in a White Forest

Side B:

Omniverse

Visitant of the Ninth Ultimate

Ra-p; Michael Ray-tp; Marshall Allen-as; John Gilmore-ts; Danny Ray Thompson-bs; Richard Williams-b; Luqman Ali-d.

West End Cafe, New York - September 13th, 1979

I'm also excited about Beyond The Purple Star Zone. I've decided to pass on the Transparency releases (though I'm sure there's some good music there), but generally anything that was originally a Saturn release is worth adding to the collection.

That's the way a lot of (most?) jazz fan(atic)s are — they're collectors. Gets in the blood, and then it's a hard habit to break. That's why Dusty Groove has The Complete 1965 John Coltrane Fingernail Clippings box set in their upcoming reissues list.

Oh, and that three disc Willie Nelson Complete Ghost box, besides the wonky sound, is pretty good. Willie sans beard: recordings worth paying attention to.

Hmmm . . I like all the Transparency releases better than Media Dreams and Disco 3000.

Although I'll probably skip most of his next posts until I see his second semi-annual positive post, I'm sort of with Clem on the 80s Ra, I don't necessarily bother.

Those June and July releases of 1968 and 1969 material will be sought out.

I have acquired a lot of 80's Ra in the last couple of months and I do tend to see a pattern (Space is the Place is almost on every cd) but what I have grown interested in is his 1970's output. Really the 72-75 era seemed to be a really good period, as the Transparency material seems to indicate. In particular, the only Lost Reels set I own (vol 4) is of particular interest where to this day (picked it up about 3 months ago) riffs and chords still resonate in my mind. Cool, cool stuff :tup Look forward to getting more.

Saw Marshall Allen & Weasel Walter last night. I got to talk w/ Danny Thompson who was selling Arkestra CDs, as usual. I asked him about the Transparency material. He couldn't go into details because,"it would take too long and you would miss the show," but the gist is that the Arkestra is not makng one dime from the Transparency sales. He did have the ArtYard releases for sale. Those are legit.

Also, there is an unconfirmed rumor that the Arkestra will be performing a BIG show this September in Philly to mark the 40th anniversary of their move to the Morton Street house.

Oh and the Arkestra will be performing May 25th in New York - Sullivan Hall, 214 Sullivan St., 8:00 pm.

dumpy understands-- this deluge of Ra shit is ridiculous, & a waste of ** everyone's ** time. these brothers (& June Tyson) at least got paid something for doing it the first time-- don't ya'll have goddamn lives of yr own, or at least curiosity beyond this almost-all-pro-forma crap? FACT: Ra from the '80s to death well... it was nice to BE THERE. but now he's dead-- move the fuck on & stop clogging up edc's omniverse already, goddamn. listen to dizzee rascal or lord kitchener or willie nelson or even the dixon brothers. when's the 100 cd-r cookie tin of the complete 1986 philadelphia shithouse sessions coming out again?

You are just a barrel of fun, a real life of the party!

I heard Sun Ra's gradual decline throughout the 1980s, and witnessed it live. Still, there was much worthy music produced, in my most humble opinion. While his 1980s output is generally not at the level of his 1970s output, it is still quite good, and by no means pro-forma, again, to my ears only. If you feel differently, more power to you.

I think that some of these recent reissues are quite good, and some are not so good. So it is with most things in life, musical and otherwise.

Trivia question

Please identify the locations of these Sun Ra LP photos:

BYG - Solar Myth Approach Vol. 2

Shandar - Nuits de la Fonadation Maeght Vol. 2

photos by Jacques Bisceglia

Is it from the Fondation Maeght?

Impulse - The Magic City

Impulse - The Nubians of Plutonia

photos by Francis Ing

thanks

Trivia question

Impulse - The Magic City

Impulse - The Nubians of Plutonia

photos by Francis Ing

thanks

Did you intend to link to the photos? I can't access anything from your post.

omniverse

Omniverse

Saturn 91379

Side A:

The Place of Five Points

Side B:

Omniverse

Ra-p; Michael Ray-tp; Marshall Allen-as; John Gilmore-ts; Danny Ray Thompson-bs; Richard Williams-b; Luqman Ali-d.

Would like to see that one too! An underrated session.

This would also be a welcome reissue, Sun Ra's other album on Philly Jazz beside the classic "Lanquidity":

Of Mythic Worlds

http://www.the-temple.net/sunradisco/ofmythic.html

Trivia question

thanks

The photos on that Shandar LP volume 2 were taken at the Fondation Maeght.

Fabulous place, worth a trip!

Photos on volume 1 also taken there!

omniverse

Omniverse

Saturn 91379

Side A:

The Place of Five Points

Side B:

Omniverse

This would also be a welcome reissue, Sun Ra's other album on Philly Jazz beside the classic "Lanquidity":

Of Mythic Worlds

The back cover of the "Of Mythic Worlds" LP has a photo of Sun Ra's entrance at the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. He is seen strumming a metal sculpture. The actual event was more dramatic than the photo indicates, as he surprisingly emerged slowly out of the floor, on a theatrical stage lift, strumming the sculpture, as the Arkestra blasted at peak volume for several minutes before and during his ascension. Many in the sold-out audience of 2000 at Hill Auditorium were spontaneously screaming at the spectacle.

Trivia question

thanks

The photos on that Shandar LP volume 2 were taken at the Fondation Maeght.

Fabulous place, worth a trip!

Photos on volume 1 also taken there!

That's what I thought. I knew you would know, Brownie. Looks like a big tent..

Now if only someone could tell me where that outdoor concert is on the Magic City LP....

omniverse

Omniverse

Saturn 91379

Side A:

The Place of Five Points

Side B:

Omniverse

Of Mythic Worlds

The back cover of the "Of Mythic Worlds" LP has a photo of Sun Ra's entrance at the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. He is seen strumming a metal sculpture. The actual event was more dramatic than the photo indicates, as he surprisingly emerged slowly out of the floor, on a theatrical stage lift, strumming the sculpture, as the Arkestra blasted at peak volume for several minutes before and during his ascension. Many in the sold-out audience of 2000 at Hill Auditorium were spontaneously screaming at the spectacle.

Now, that's a groovy story! Would have enjoyed a lot to be there.

The Arkestra is giving a week long performance on the ZXZV festival in September this year. That is in Tilburg, Netherlands:

http://www.zxzw.nl/

http://www.myspace.com/zxzwtilburg

Seems to be a party.

Edited by jostber

omniverse

Omniverse

Saturn 91379

Side A:

The Place of Five Points

Side B:

Omniverse

Of Mythic Worlds

Now, that's a groovy story! Would have enjoyed a lot to be there.

The Arkestra is giving a week long performance on the ZXZV festival in September this year. That is in Tilburg, Netherlands:

http://www.zxzw.nl/

http://www.myspace.com/zxzwtilburg

Seems to be a party.

The Arkestra was really "on" for the entire 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival performance. I have a cassette tape of the performance, taped off the radio, and if it was released as an album, it would be better than most of Sun Ra's recorded output.

It is a much better performance than Discs 5, 6 and 7 of the Horseshoe Tavern set, which were recorded in Toronto, the night before the 1978 Ann Arbor Festival.

Got this in an email....

here are 4 new sun ra releases - the transparency ones are available now - the artyard releases will be available from monday, may 26th.

order now!

SUN RA

Volume Five The Lost Reel Collection :The Universe Sent Me. [£12] Transparency 0305

More completely unknown recordings from 1972 at the South Street Seaport Museum, NYC and 1973 in Paris. 73' 33".

SUN RA ALL STARS

Milan, Zurich, West Berlin, Paris: October 27, 1983-November 1, 1983 [£27.50 ] 5 x CD set, Transparency0311

Six hours of extremely high-quality recordings. In late 1983 Sun Ra made simultaneous European tours with both the Arkestra and this supergroup known as the Sun Ra All Stars:Sun Ra, Lester Bowie, Don Cherry, Marshall Allen, John Gilmore, Archie Shepp, Richard davis, Famoudou Don Moye and Philly Joe Jones.

SUN RA

Sleeping Beauty [£11]

Originally released by Saturn in 1979, this is a studio recording by a large ensemble (including, unusually, electric guitar and bass). These are the first recordings of the titles included (though they were played live a few months earlier on German radio). Springtime Again is a floating, sonically open composition, with a distant sung ostinato, interestingly mixed. The door of the Cosmos, which features June Tyson, is a relaxed groove-driven piece in which electric piano, guitar and bass function as ground, over which events drift in and out, while Sleeping Beauty is a chaotic, swirly masterpiece with lots of effects added to the instruments, interestingly mixed. As an ex-LP, it’s LP length.

SUN RA

On Jupiter [£11]

A big band studio recording made a month before Sleeping Beauty and released by Saturn in 1979 consisting of three quite different pieces: On Jupiter, which is a vocalised, relaxed, swing trance piece, UFO – Sun Ra’s unashamed approach to disco, layering big band events over a funky beat and chunky chants -, and Seductive Fantasy, which lurches along in classic Ra fashion, very easygoing and with a good high-definition recording quality. It’s nice to hear the oboe and bassoon, often lost in live recordings, so prominent, Again, the mixing is unusually sophisticated. As an ex-LP, it’s LP length

SPECIAL OFFER: On Jupiter and Sleeping Beauty BOTH CD’s for £16.

ReR Megacorp

79 Beulah Rd.

Thornton Heath

Surrey CR7 8JG

UK

44 (0) 208 771 1063

www.rermegacorp.com

Now if only someone could tell me where that outdoor concert is on the Magic City LP....

I'm looking at it now, & I'm guessing Ann Arbor, for no reason other than just because.

I'm guessing Germantown, vicinity of Morton Street.

Very doubtful. Magic City was released in in 1965 and they didn't move to Germantown until September of 1968.

I'm looking at it now, & I'm guessing Ann Arbor, for no reason other than just because.

I'm guessing Germantown, vicinity of Morton Street.

Very doubtful. Magic City was released in in 1965 and they didn't move to Germantown until September of 1968.

Yes, but the Impulse reissue of Magic City was not released until the early 1970s. Those 1970s Impulse reissues used photos and artwork from the early 1970s, with no attempt made in most cases to use photos and artwork from the time that the album had been originally recorded.

There is an account of how the albums came to be reissued on Impulse in the early 1970s in the "House That Trane Built" book about Impulse Records.

• 1 month later...

wonder how people rate Nuclear War. got this last week. very impressed. 7.oo AM at work, cup of coffee and title track through headphones puts me in a good place for the rest of the day. a song like Nuclear War and another like Smile on the same CD has to be (could only be?) a Sun Ra album. love June's voice on these tracks. a big thumbs up

wonder how people rate Nuclear War. got this last week. very impressed. 7.oo AM at work, cup of coffee and title track through headphones puts me in a good place for the rest of the day. a song like Nuclear War and another like Smile on the same CD has to be (could only be?) a Sun Ra album. love June's voice on these tracks. a big thumbs up

It's a motherf*cker!! :tup