*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the solo-piano disc from about 1966, right?? I've always been meaning to get this one.

I have both of Ra's other solo-piano dates, from about 1978 on IAI. I love them both quite a bit, probably nearly as much as any solo-piano recordings I own.

But somehow, I've never crossed paths with "Monorails..." at the right time. I'd be curious what others thought of it as well.

• 6 months later...

Up for renewed reading.

I had a Sun Ra fest here yesterday, and think my favorite Evidence reissue just might be Angels and Demons at Play / The Nubians of Plutonia. Ronnie Boykins (and Wilbur Green, on "electronic" bass) is especially present on these sides, laying down some nice ostinato lines.

Any more words on Live in Montreux from 1976? I have an old book (I think from the early 80's) that's called "The 100 Best Jazz Records" (or something like that), and it lists this album for its entry on Ra. Now that it's out again on P-Vine, though not cheap, I'm interested.

One more question — What Evidence reissues have yet to make it to compact disc?

:bwallace:— All out for Jupiter!

Edited by Late

cry_DVD250.jpg

Only three more days for this one! (I already pre-ordered.)

Filmed in Chicago, finished in 1959, the Cry of Jazz is filmmaker, composer and arranger Edward O. Bland's polemical essay on the politics of music and race, a forcast of what he called "the death of jazz."

A landmark moment in black film, forseeing the civil unrest of subsequent decades, it also features the only known footage of visionary pianist Sun Ra from his beloved Chicago period. Ample images of tenor saxophonist John Gilmore and the rest of Ra's Arkestra in Windy City nightclubs, all shot in glorious black & white.

Rarely seen in cinemas, this is the first commercial release of the Cry of Jazz, transferred from a pristine print and featuring an otherwise unreleased Arkestral soundtrack. Special features include a photo gallery of stills from the film & the UMS catalog.

cry_DVD250.jpg

Only three more days for this one! (I already pre-ordered.)

Filmed in Chicago, finished in 1959, the Cry of Jazz is filmmaker, composer and arranger Edward O. Bland's polemical essay on the politics of music and race, a forcast of what he called "the death of jazz."

A landmark moment in black film, forseeing the civil unrest of subsequent decades, it also features the only known footage of visionary pianist Sun Ra from his beloved Chicago period. Ample images of tenor saxophonist John Gilmore and the rest of Ra's Arkestra in Windy City nightclubs, all shot in glorious black & white.

Rarely seen in cinemas, this is the first commercial release of the Cry of Jazz, transferred from a pristine print and featuring an otherwise unreleased Arkestral soundtrack. Special features include a photo gallery of stills from the film & the UMS catalog.

I'll be ordering one of those this week!

Here what I have:

A Night in East Berlin/My Brothers, the Wind & Sun No. 9

Atlantis

Black Myth/Out in Space

Blue Delight

Calling Planet Earth

Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy, Art Forms Of Dimensions Tomorrow

Cosmo Sun Connection

Fate In A Plesant Mood, When The Sun Comes Out

Janus

Life is Splendid

Live at Montreaux

Live at the Hackney Empire

Live in London 1990

Music From Tomorrow's World

My Brother the Wind II

Nothing Is...

Out There A Minute

Outer Space Employment Agency

Purple Night

Somewhere Else

Sun Song

Sunrise in Different Dimensions

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra

The Helocentric Worlds - Vol.1

The Helocentric Worlds - Vol.2

The Magic City

The Other Side Of The Sun

The Solar Myth Approach - Vol.1

When Angels Speak of Love

I think the Helocentric Worlds disks are old favorites, but I like them all for different reasons! :wub:

Here what I have:

Atlantis

Black Myth/Out in Space

Blue Delight

Calling Planet Earth

Cosmo Sun Connection

Janus

Life is Splendid

Live at Montreaux

Live in London 1990

My Brother the Wind II

Nothing Is...

Out There A Minute

Purple Night

Somewhere Else

Sun Song

The Magic City

I think the Helocentric Worlds disks are old favorites, but I like them all for different reasons! :wub:

My collection (miniscule):

Jazz in Silhouette

Interstellar Low Ways/Visits Planet Earth (the classic Trane-foreseeing Gilmore solo!)

Angels and Demons at Play/Nubians of Plutonia

Other Planes of There

The Magic City

Heliocentric Worlds Vols. 1 & 2

Atlantic

Space is the Place (Impulse!)

Guest ariceffron

-All Evidences

-Music from tmws world (1960 live in chicago)--IF YOU DONT HAVE THIS GET IT-- IT IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE SUN RA RECORD--- IF YOU LIKE HIS EARLY STUFF YOULL LOVE IT

-All ESPs

-NANANANANANANANANANA BAAAAAAAATTTTTMMMMMAAAAAAANNNNNN

-SUB-UNDERGROUND (aka Temple U) (aka- COSMO EARTH FANTASY)

-DARK MYTH

-NIDHAMU (awseome----amazing live date)

-HORIZON (sister lp to nid. amazing- find a cd dubbing!)

-DISCO 3000 (sun ra w/ john gilmore and a beatbox)

-MEDIA DREAM

-SOUND MIRROR

-ON JUPITER

-SLEEPING BEAUTY

-VOICE OF ETERNAL TMW.

-AURORA BOREALIS (aka -ra/rachmaniov)-- solo piano-very good

-A FIRESIDE CHAT WITH LUCIFER (w/ sun ra rapping!)

and on mp3

beyond the purple star zone

dance of innocent passion

days of happiness (1979)---- SUN RA AND HIS TRIO SOUND ALMOST AS GOOD AS PRESENT DAY KEITH JARRETT AT HIS TRIO.....GET THIS ONE

Discpline 27-II

My Brother the wind vol. I (not Vol II like the cd)

Omniverse

Out there a minute

2nd star to the right

space probe

the futuristic sounds of...

rose hue mansions of the sun

solar myth approach, vol. 1 and 2

Edited by ariceffron

Mayan Temples on Black Saint is a very good introduction. It's very well recorded, features excellent performances, and a variety of styles. It's probably his best recording from his later years.

Sun Ra's two visits to Fort Worth's Caravan of Dreams (1987 and 1988) rank rather high in my favorite live experiences. Eight great sets.

Here's what Joe Moudry's site says about The Cry of Jazz:

"Film made by Ed Bland, released 1959. Only known footage of Arkestra during the Chicago period. 33 min. Filmed at 5 or 6 club gigs between 1956 and 1959. Musicians' faces not shown or shot obliquely because the band was expected to play the chameleon's role and represent several styles (swing, bop, West Coast, and The Sun Ra); also because sessions were non-Union. Features Ra, John Gilmore, Julian Priester, James Scales, Marshall Allen, Ronnie Boykins, prob. Robert Barry, Jim Herndon, Art Hoyle, Hobart Dotson, and others."

I already pre-ordered, so I'll just have to sit back and wait. I'm a little bummed about not being able to see the faces of the bandmembers, but what the heck — I don't know how I'd get to see this one otherwise. Hearing the soundtrack alone should be interesting.

Edited by Late

can i get some opinions/reccomendations on : Live in Paris at the Gibus

Sun Ra at the Gibus was a trip into itself. Great date with a version of 'King Porter Stomp' that was amazing. Some of the best Sun Ra albums were recorded live and this is one of the best. I have the original LP of this. It was released by Atlantic France. Not sure the CD reissue has any extra material.

I want to appreciate Sun Ra, but... I don't. I saw the Arkestra live once, in Paris, and it was a good time. Chaotic but memorable, as someone said earlier in the thread. But musically, it was mostly chaotic. And that's how I find his records. I only own two, a live one on vinyl that I can't listen to anymore since I don't have a turntable, and the double CD "Singles." (I've owned others but haven't held on to them.)

Frankly, those "Singles" suck. A little while ago they were being discussed on another board and I went back and listened carefully, hoping against hope to find all the delirious imagination and real wild fun so many others were waxing ecstatic about. But I couldn't. They just suck. The emperor has no clothes.

In my humble opinion, of course.

:D

Obviously I don't think his music sucks. It's quite unconventional, and he was a weirdo, no getting around that. But I think his fusion of world elements into his unusual style of "jazz" is really fun for me, and after years of listening I find that the chaos makes more sense, and the musical world is a great one to visit!

Here what I have:

Atlantis                                                                                 

Black Myth/Out in Space                                                                 

Blue Delight                                                                             

Calling Planet Earth                                                                     

Cosmo Sun Connection                                                                     

Janus                                                                                  Sunrise in Different Dimensions                                                         

Life is Splendid                                                                         

Live at Montreaux                                                                       

Live in London 1990                                                                     

My Brother the Wind II                                                                   

Nothing Is...                                                                           

Out There A Minute                                                                       

Purple Night                                                                             

Somewhere Else                                                                           

Sun Song                                                                                 

The Magic City                                                                           

I think the Helocentric Worlds disks are old favorites,  but I like them all for different reasons!  :wub:

My collection (miniscule):

Jazz in Silhouette

Interstellar Low Ways/Visits Planet Earth (the classic Trane-foreseeing Gilmore solo!)

Other Planes of There

The Magic City

Atlantic

Easy to cut and pate. I have:

Atlantis

Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy/Art Forms Of Dimensions Tomorrow

Jazz in Silhouette

Interstellar Low Ways/Visits Planet Earth

Other Planes of There

The Magic City

Nothing Is

Singles

Languidity

Music from Tomorrow's World

An untitled LP that I bought from the Arkestra at a concert

Space Is the Place (Evidence)

And now the DVD of A Joyful Noise

I think I'm forgetting a couple of Evidence titles - early ones.

Oddly enough, I don't yet have either Delmark, nor Fate in a Pleasant mood

the 2 A&M titles from the late 80's (Purple Night and Blue Delight) are very good if you can find them.

And the 'outtakes' from both of those A&M albums were released (on Rounder :blink: - of all places), as "Somewhere Else".

As much as I like both the A&M albums (which is quite a lot), I like "Somewhere Else" even more!! :excited: (How an album of outtakes is better than the original?? - is a bit beyond me - but hey, whatever!! :wacko: )

Supposedly it's still in print, and I've seen used copies a time or two as well. ( In fact, I have a duplicate CD of this, if anyone needs one. )

Great stuff, and it includes several tracks with Don Cherry (and frankly, I think they're stronger tracks than the tracks that Cherry's on on "Purple Night").

:tup:tup:tup:w

c7004678213.jpg

Ah...the Purple Night/Blue Delight/Somewhere Else trilogy....great stuff...I love hearing Don Cherry with Sun Ra.

I do have to listen to these again soon.

edited for spelling...hell, I had a title totally wrong! :lol:

Edited by 7/4