*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

Landed these Ra titles in the used bins yesterday:

Sun Ra & his Intergalactic Research Arkestra: Black Myth/Out in Space-MPS 2 cd set

Sun Ra-Dance of the Living Image vol. 4:The Lost Reel Collection-Transparency 2 cd set

The Transparency set is neat because its a rehearsal tape that largely sounds like gig with a few interuptions and/or talking, tuning and rehearsing. I guess the box the reel was in was originally labeled as a concert given in Mexico in '74, but turned out to be this.

The Black Myth/Out in Space set, however, is of a different caliber. It contains two complete concerts given in Germany in 1970 and all I can say is WOW :excited: . Not only is it well recorded, this band is on fire and it inludes Alan Silva no less. The music recorded here kind of reminds me of a mix of the Heliocentric Worlds meets Space is the Place, with lots of freak outs put in :rolleyes:

Overall, great stuff :tup

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L....

The Black Myth/Out in Space set, however, is of a different caliber. It contains two complete concerts given in Germany in 1970 and all I can say is WOW :excited: . Not only is it well recorded, this band is on fire and it inludes Alan Silva no less. The music recorded here kind of reminds me of a mix of the Heliocentric Worlds meets Space is the Place, with lots of freak outs put in :rolleyes:

Overall, great stuff :tup

I'm with you on that! The title track "Out in Space" is some of the greatest space stuff I ever heard!

41CYFNRX9VL._AA240_.jpg

Got my copy of Some Blues But Not the Kind That's Blue yesterday in the mail.

Awesome! Four additional tracks, and this one is mastered from the master tapes. (Last one was from an lp). Yay Atavistic and keep them coming!

Hope they have "Omniverse", http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/al...GTH=full#review and "The Antique Blacks" on their reissue list too!

Another classic, originally released on Impulse in 1973, with Ronnie Boykins prominently in great form on bass:

http://www.the-temple.net/sunradisco/astroblack.html

Edited by jostber

L....

The set, however, is of a different caliber. It contains two complete concerts given in Germany in 1970 and all I can say is WOW :excited: . Not only is it well recorded, this band is on fire and it inludes Alan Silva no less. The music recorded here kind of reminds me of a mix of the Heliocentric Worlds meets Space is the Place, with lots of freak outs put in :rolleyes:

Overall, great stuff :Black Myth/Out in Spacetup

I'm with you on that! The title track "Out in Space" is some of the greatest space stuff I ever heard!

41CYFNRX9VL._AA240_.jpg

That's a great CD! "Out in Space" is a classic; it goes on forever and Sonny plays seven different keyboards. Silva has this incredible cello solo on one of the sets. The CD was reissued in its original format--ie. no bonus material, which is silly.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Four additional tracks, and this one is mastered from the master tapes. (Last one was from an lp). Yay Atavistic and keep them coming!

Finally got around to getting this one (Some Blues)

I have Strange Strings on right now

Blues up next if I can manage the listening time

Atavistic also sent some nice posters with the CD :cool:

Sound Sun Pleasure

Holiday for Soul Dance

Super-Sonic Jazz

Jazz In Silhouette

Languidity

Greatest Hits

Stay Awake - "pink elephants..."

Question: The tune "Where Pathways Meet" on Languidity seems the odd duck of the Sun Ra I own and I dig dat duck. Any recs as to cuts or albums that have the overt skwank and funk reminiscent of them elephants enjoying a slurp at a late night watering hole? Seems I'm missing some essential mid seventies for this sound.

Ok I need some advice on a Sun Ra box set that I have on hold. Its from Freedom/Arista and its a three cd box set. Its gotten mixed reviews on CDnow for mostly sound quality reasons. Does anyone have this set? Is it worth $22 used? Here's the cover:

post-5045-1201236008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Holy Ghost

Ok I need some advice on a Sun Ra box set that I have on hold. Its from Freedom/Arista and its a three cd box set. Its gotten mixed reviews on CDnow for mostly sound quality reasons. Does anyone have this set? Is it worth $22 used? Here's the cover:

It's pretty good. It contains Pictures of Infinity plus two CDs of live dates, one from the early 1971. Discographical details are complicated. See http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/disc_b.htm#48b for info. I'm glad I own it, but would rank it between the Shandar sets and Solar-Myth Approach in terms of priority. I have no issues with the sound. Funny that some people would considering it's Sun Ra we're talking about.

It's pretty good. It contains Pictures of Infinity plus two CDs of live dates, one from the early 1971. Discographical details are complicated. See http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/disc_b.htm#48b for info. I'm glad I own it, but would rank it between the Shandar sets and Solar-Myth Approach in terms of priority. I have no issues with the sound. Funny that some people would considering it's Sun Ra we're talking about.

Thank you for the review. I normally buy anything by Sun Ra, but I was primarily concerned with the sound not the quality of music.

Finally got around to getting this one (Some Blues)

I have Strange Strings on right now

Blues up next if I can manage the listening time

Atavistic also sent some nice posters with the CD :cool:

Got "Some Blues.." too from Atavistic some days ago. It's great to heat John Gilmore playing "My Favourite Things", and the vibe other songs too are very reminiscent of Coltrane. This session is from 1977, and some bonus cuts 1973 are included too. Great package from Atavistic again!

Thank you for the review. I normally buy anything by Sun Ra, but I was primarily concerned with the sound not the quality of music.

i have some records which i hardly listen to because of the sound and this box clearly doesn't belong to them... i wouldn't use them to test whether my new hifi system works well either if i had one, but the sound on these discs clearly doesn't distract attention from the music... i don't have much sun ra but i really enjoy these albums, especially the second one, spaceways...

Sound Sun Pleasure

Holiday for Soul Dance

Super-Sonic Jazz

Jazz In Silhouette

Languidity

Greatest Hits

Stay Awake - "pink elephants..."

Question: The tune "Where Pathways Meet" on Languidity seems the odd duck of the Sun Ra I own and I dig dat duck. Any recs as to cuts or albums that have the overt skwank and funk reminiscent of them elephants enjoying a slurp at a late night watering hole? Seems I'm missing some essential mid seventies for this sound.

That's a great song, one of my favourites too. An album that really grooves is "On Jupiter". It will be released by ArtYard in a 2 CD-version:

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=dwr...ef=upcoming.php

Now it's available on vinyl:

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=37847