*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

not trying to cause trouble, but is there anyone else here who, when listening to Sun Ra, after, say, 1965, can almost never get through an entire track?

my mind wanders to another place, let us say, as I listen (to the land of boredom?) - love his piano playing, by the way, and have the Bley-produced solo album -

I can, and have!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I picked up the Freedom box set today and I am quite pleased that contrary to the Amazon reviews, the sound is of pretty decent quality. Needless to say the music is fantastic. I really find Sun Ra's transitional music of the mid to late '60- early '70's pretty interesting. FWIW, I did not know that Pat Patrick doubled on electric bass, at least that's what the liners say for the 12/71 set.

Good move, Ghost. SONG OF THE SPARER on the first disc is a real favorite of mine...

Yes! I listened to the entire set all the way through last night and it is amazing, especially Outer Spaceways Inc. which I think was originally on Black Lion.

not trying to cause trouble, but is there anyone else here who, when listening to Sun Ra, after, say, 1965, can almost never get through an entire track?

my mind wanders to another place, let us say, as I listen (to the land of boredom?) - love his piano playing, by the way, and have the Bley-produced solo album -

I've heard that you have a long history of this, "mind wanders to another place" ;)

yeah, my mind goes toward space but not quite to the land of Ra -

Ronnie Boykins is/was one of my favorite bass players - I heard him in person only once (in a small group with Bob Neloms, at the Tin Palace - amazing sound -)

I usually find the first 3-5 minutes edifying, and than...

love Marshall Allen, Gilmore, too, Pat Patrick scared me once (but I was only 16 or so) -

love the sound of Ra in small doses - and than it's like listening to my old Buddhist friends chant, back in, say 1973 or so - I appreciate their sincerity but I don't find it compelling -

Edited by AllenLowe

yeah, my mind goes toward space but not quite to the land of Ra -

Ronnie Boykins is/was one of my favorite bass players - I heard him in person only once (in a small group with Bob Neloms, at the Tin Palace - amazing sound -)

I usually find the first 3-5 minutes edifying, and than...

love Marshall Allen, Gilmore, too, Pat Patrick scared me once (but I was only 16 or so) -

love the sound of Ra in small doses - and than it's like listening to my old Buddhist friends chant, back in, say 1973 or so - I appreciate their sincerity but I don't find it compelling -

"Astro Black" has a lot of Boykins:

http://www.the-temple.net/sunradisco/astroblack.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just on my first listen to the first cd of Solr Myth Approach Vols 1 & 2, sounds good so far. Lots of percussion and pretty free, but I have heard say that there is some solo moog stuff at one point which I'm pretty excited about.

I love those albums, but I don't remember any Moog.

Just on my first listen to the first cd of Solr Myth Approach Vols 1 & 2, sounds good so far. Lots of percussion and pretty free, but I have heard say that there is some solo moog stuff at one point which I'm pretty excited about.

I've seen a few Sun Ra cds about recently at reasonable prices so I might pick them all up.

Those albums are some of my favourites! "The Utter Nots", "Legend" and "Spectrum" shows the Arkestra at its sprawling best. "Pyramids" is a beautiful song.

These vinyl 180 gr. editions got great sound:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/Sun-Ra-The...1-BYG-40H.shtml

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/Sun-Ra-The...2-BYG-41H.shtml

I don't have nor have I really looked for a digital image anywhere of the Horsehow cover; it comes in a black binder that has cdrs in sleves two ring bound, with a color photograph on the front. No booklet for this. The two discs I've listened to are both "one track discs," i.e. no indexing of titles. Which is okay with me. Disc ten is an interview disc. As disconcerting as I find his interviews, I may skip that one!

I think Vol. 4 is very good, and I also really like Vol. 1's music.

Any more details on this box? Are they all "one track discs" (how annoying!) and is there much repetition between sets? I still can't find any setlist anywhere on line.

Well today, fate was in a pleasant mood, as the used cd bin was filled to the hilt with Sun Ra cds. Naturally I bought them all. Here's what I got:

Somewhere Else-Rounder

Love in Outer Space-Leo

A Night in East Berlin-Leo

Friendly Galaxy-Leo

at the Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival in Exile 1974-It is Forbidden-Total Energy

So far I've listened to everything except the Total Energy and Somewhere Else is a favorite with Love in Outer Space a close second. Does anyone else own these titles? What are your opinions of them?

Don't know how Ra felt, but Ronnie did leave the band shortly thereafter I think. Gilmore took sideman gigs but always came back to the fold, right?

Daaoud Haroom, trombone

Joe Ferguson, sax/fl

Jimmy Vass, sax

Monty Waters, sax/fl

George Avaloz, conga

Art Lewis, drums

Ronnie Boykins, b/sousaphone

all play percussion instruments as well.

There's a small-group Ra vibe to the proceedings, I guess, and very easy on the ears. I haven't listened to it in a few years, though.

If my cat wasn't named Silva, I woulda named him Daaoud Haroom.

Any more details on this box? Are they all "one track discs" (how annoying!) and is there much repetition between sets? I still can't find any setlist anywhere on line.

I haven't listened further than the second disc in this one; I've had less time than usual to listen due to work issues and I've leaned heavily into "comfort food" listening lately, which has meant this time a heavy diet of Elllington, Armstrong and Monk.

I'd be surprised if they weren't ALL one track cdrs, not indexed at all. And I think there will be not that much "repitition" of exact set lists. It might be several weeks before I have a definitive answer for you.

Just listening to 'Nuclear War' on the Greek 'Y' Records. If my memory is right this was due to be released by them originally in the UK but the company went bust beforehand so the limited copies that got out were from the Greek pressing plant. A nice slice of early-80s Ra though - and the title track vocal is a 'period classic'.

Just listening to 'Nuclear War' on the Greek 'Y' Records. If my memory is right this was due to be released by them originally in the UK but the company went bust beforehand so the limited copies that got out were from the Greek pressing plant. A nice slice of early-80s Ra though - and the title track vocal is a 'period classic'.

The story on "Nuclear War":

http://www.atavistic.com/albums.php?id=272

sunramini250_1.jpg

Edited by jostber