*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

And a bit more info:

"99. Sun Ra

Nuclear War

Music Box SMB 40242 (Greece, LP and cassette)

Y RA 2 (Italy, LP, 1984)

Side A:

Nuclear War (Ra)

Retrospect (Ra)

Drop Me Off in Harlem (Ellington)

Sometimes I'm Happy (Caesar-Youmans)

Side B:

Celestial Love (Ra)

Blue Intensity (Ra)

Nameless One #2 (Ra)

Smile (Chaplin)

From the Variety Studios sessions of 9/82 (see previous two items). Y Records in England planned an album from these sessions -- to be titled Rays from the Outer Tomorrow -- but went out of business before it could be released. The same sequence of tracks appeared on this Greek LP and cassette licensed from Y Records and on the Italian Y release. Drop Me Off In Harlem is the only track not released on either Saturn. [Webber and Trent; thanks to Corbett for information on the Italian Y release] "

Sound quality on the Music Box LP is extremely good ! (suprisingly). Anyone have the cassette? :g

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Nuclear War, but never heard the original version. I'm familiar with the Yo La Tengo cover. Anyone else partial? I love em.

Yes, I saw he Arkestra open for YLT 3(?) years ago and after the YLT set they brought the Arkestra out for a 15 minute version of Nuclear War.

Just listening to 'Nuclear War' on the Greek 'Y' Records. If my memory is right this was due to be released by them originally in the UK but the company went bust beforehand so the limited copies that got out were from the Greek pressing plant. A nice slice of early-80s Ra though - and the title track vocal is a 'period classic'.

The story on "Nuclear War":

http://www.atavistic.com/albums.php?id=272

sunramini250_1.jpg

It should be noted that the cd is sourced from vinyl. I assume the tapes went AWOL when Y Records went under.

Man, I tell ya the past 12 months or so has seen an EXPLOSION in Sun Ra re-releases. Good times.

Yes indeed. Here's what I have down so far for the rest of the year:

2-25-08 Media Dream

3-15-08 Live in Rome, 1980

3-15-08 Live at The Newport Jazz Festival, 1969 & Live at The Electric Circus, 1968

4-25-08 Sleeping Beauty

5-15-08 Live at Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, 1974 & Pacific Radio Interview, 1968

6-15-08 On Jupiter

8-15-08 Stars that Shine Darkly

12-15-08 Beyond the Purple Star Zone

Information according to The Bards. Exact release dates are of course never set in stone.

Can't wait to hear Media Dream for the first time.

Here are some of my favorite Saturns that I wish Atavistic would/could see to reissue:

1. Discipline 27-II

2. The Antique Blacks

3. Omniverse

4. The Sound Mirror

5. Voice of the Eternal Tomorrow

Though I love the early Saturns, something about the years 1974-1978 is especially magical. Trance-like at times.

I only have five Sun Ra albums: Space is the Place, Solar Myth Approach 1 & 2, Night of the Purple Moon, and Some Blues But Not The Kind Thats Blue. My favourite is the last one it's almost normal. Then ...Purple Moon although it's a little too spooky. Can't explain it. It plays like the piano sounds of a dead man; far away and numinous.

I don't have nor have I really looked for a digital image anywhere of the Horsehow cover; it comes in a black binder that has cdrs in sleves two ring bound, with a color photograph on the front. No booklet for this. The two discs I've listened to are both "one track discs," i.e. no indexing of titles. Which is okay with me. Disc ten is an interview disc. As disconcerting as I find his interviews, I may skip that one!

I think Vol. 4 is very good, and I also really like Vol. 1's music.

Any more details on this box? Are they all "one track discs" (how annoying!) and is there much repetition between sets? I still can't find any setlist anywhere on line.

All of the discs in the Horseshoe set (mine anyway) are single-track. While it's always nice to have the freedom to navigate these things as one wishes (as in the Detroit set), there is also something fun about "having" to listen to the whole thing, without a track list, with the surprise of what comes next. A little taste of Ra jail. Discipline is more important than freedom, as Sonny often reminded us, right?

Wow, nice pics^^ and so many great releases coming up!

Was just wondering...does anybody know if there are any more unreleased sessions from the early to mid 60's??

I recently heard the unreleased 'Secrets of the Sun' ('62 I believe) and it blew my mind - it makes you wonder if there are anymore amazing sessions like this from that kind of transitional period (my personal favourite era, if I had to choose) :cool: