*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun Ra's albums "Unity" (on Horo) and "Sunrise In Different Dimensions" (on Hat Hut) contain live renditions by the Arkestra of songs played by the Fletcher Henderson band. Are they Fletcher Henderson's arrangements? I think so, although the Arkestra's instrumentation is not exactly the same as the Henderson band's. They are close to the Henderson arrangements if not note for note reproductions.

"Unity" is a 2 LP set which has not been issued on CD. It has been cited by others as "the best" Arkestra album, and I tend to agree. The songs are well played, tight, not sloppy, with excellent solos throughout and good sound. It is really a shame that there are no CD reissues of the Horo label, for this album alone.

Guest the mommy

hottah, i think "other voices, other blues" is one of the best albums of the 70s. "new steps" is pretty good but not on the same level. i have passed on "unity" previously based on the song selection, but i guess i will check it out.

a store here in new york city has sketchy vinyl rip CDs of all three horo albums.

hottah, i think "other voices, other blues" is one of the best albums of the 70s. "new steps" is pretty good but not on the same level. i have passed on "unity" previously based on the song selection, but i guess i will check it out.

a store here in new york city has sketchy vinyl rip CDs of all three horo albums.

I will be surprised if you do not enjoy "Unity".

Guest the mommy

yeah i will take a listen.

i liked the other two horos so much because they are quartets. and unity is not. but if it is good as these two, i would like to give it a shot. the hathut (hatart?) one too, actually.

yeah i will take a listen.

i liked the other two horos so much because they are quartets. and unity is not. but if it is good as these two, i would like to give it a shot. the hathut (hatart?) one too, actually.

"Sunrise in Different Dimensions" on the Hat label is good, but the performances are not as tight and focused as on "Unity", which is a disadvantage on the swing charts.

Gilmore is outstanding both on tenor sax and clarinet on both albums, but again, especially on "Unity."

Article that was published a fortnight ago in Boston's The Weekly Dig

Deval's cosmic roots

* by Noah Schaffer

* Issue 8.43

* Wed, October 25, 2006

At this point, Pat Patrick might be best known for abandoning his wife and children. That’s because his son, Deval, has made the story of his childhood struggle a central part of his biography as he campaigns for governor.

But the elder Patrick has long been a cult figure among music fans. He ditched the family to play saxophone with the Sun Ra Arkestra, the space-obsessed avant-garde jazz big band whose leader envisioned the black race moving to another planet in the solar system.

It’s hard to imagine that Deval, with his squeaky-clean persona and corporate lawyer background, is the offspring of a crucial member of one of the single wildest bands of the 20th century. But sure enough, Sun Ra fanatics say Patrick was an Arkestra mainstay.

“He was with the Arkestra pretty steady from 1956 to the late ’60s, and then was back with them periodically after that,” says Charlie Kohlhase, a Boston-area saxophonist and host of a weekly jazz show on WMBR-FM.

imageThe Arkestra lived communally and ran their own label, pressing tiny numbers of each record. Its members performed in glittering costumes that could be described as half-Egyptian, half-spacesuit, and the music managed to mix together swing, chants and early electronic instruments.

But, Kohlhase points out, Patrick was a “really creative musician who could work in a lot of situations. He played with [Latin jazz great] Mongo Santamaria, and also played with Thelonious Monk for a bit in the early ’70s.”

A tune Patrick co-wrote for Santamaria, “Yeah Yeah,” even became a fluke Top 40 pop hit when covered by British singer Georgie Fame.

Deval Patrick’s campaign press office did not respond to several inquiries about his dad. “It’s interesting how they don’t really bring this out,” says Kohlhase.

Still, the younger Patrick has long made his father’s jazz career a part of his official biography. And a 1993 Globe profile talked about how Pat Patrick showed up, unexpected, when his son graduated from Milton Academy. “I think he was distrustful of his son going to the ‘white man’s school,’” says Kohlhase.

The Globe story also mentioned that Pat Patrick played a song at his son’s wedding, the jazz standard “I Can’t Get Started.” It’s a tune he had recorded with the trumpeter Blue Mitchell. But Deval Patrick told the paper that “that tune sort of summed up our relationship.”

• 4 months later...

Over at the JC there is a report that Tyrone Hill has died. :(:(:(

http://www.jazzcornertalk.com/speakeasy/sh...ad.php?p=604890

Major bummer. I saw him perform many times as a member of the Arkestra (w/ and post Sun Ra) and other combinations of Arkestra alumni. But mostly I'll remember seeing him play for change on the streets of Center City Philadelphia. Always a joy no matter what.

• 4 weeks later...

The Inky ran their obit today....

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/obituaries/...ith_Sun_Ra.html

Tyrone Hill, 58, of North Philadelphia, a powerful trombonist whose expressive big sound broke out of the Sun Ra Arkestra pack for three decades, died of heart failure March 11 at his aunt's home in East Mount Airy following the burial of his mother.

Born in North Philadelphia and raised around 17th and York Streets, Mr. Hill started playing the trombone in music class at Gillespie Middle School. He listened to saxophonist John Coltrane jamming with musicians such as Sherman Ferguson and Middie Middleton on the street in his neighborhood.

After graduating in 1966 from Benjamin Franklin High School, Mr. Hill studied the trombone for four years at the former Combs School of Music in Chestnut Hill.

"He had one semester before he graduated, and he quit to play in bands," said sister Liz Hicks. "Our mother was so mad at him."

Mr. Hill played with the Uptown Theater Orchestra and several rhythm and blues, jazz and pop bands in Philadelphia and New York until 1970.

He hooked up with singer Billy Paul, who won a Grammy for "Me and Mrs. Jones" in 1972.

"Tyrone was Billy Paul's music director for eight years," his sister said. "He was the only member of Billy's band to tour Europe with him."

In the late 1970s, Mr. Hill joined the Sun Ra Arkestra - often consisting of up to 20 players and dancers, led by colorful organist Sun Ra.

The Sun Ra Arkestra, which was formed in the late 1950s, combined big-band sounds with flavors from Africa, Latin America, avant-garde indie-rock, space jam and free jazz. For nearly a half-century the Arkestra performed all over the world and in dozens of local venues, including the Philadelphia Ethical Society and the Franklin Institute, and as part of the Mellon Jazz Festival.

"I never heard music like that before. They played for six hours straight through. No breaks. It was unreal," Mr. Hill said in a 2000 interview about his first performance with Sun Ra, who had moved to Germantown from New York in 1969.

Mr. Hill often led the band in songs such as "Discipline 27-II." He played the trombone on more than 40 albums with the Sun Ra Arkestra and recorded two albums of his own - Out of the Box (1997) and Soul-Etude (1999) - released on the Creative Improvised Music Projects label.

"Tyrone's sound boosted mine, and the sum of my trumpet and his trombone ended up greater than the total of those two instruments," said Arkestra trumpeter Fred Adams.

After Sun Ra died in 1993, he bequeathed his Germantown home on Morton Street to the band.

Although things slowed down after the death of Sun Ra, the Arkestra still plays several times a month. The group practices in the house on Morton Street, where four members live.

"We called Tyrone 'Pound of Plenty' because of his huge sound," said saxophonist Marshall Allen, director of the Sun Ra Arkestra. "He played his last gig about a month before he left this planet. He was supposed to play in New York with us this week. Sun Ra Arkestra will have 15 players at his memorial service."

Outside the jazz world, Mr. Hill was "a diehard Eagles fan," he said in a 2004 Philadelphia Daily News article. "I just got back from touring Europe with the Sun Ra Arkestra and ran into some Eagles fans in Barcelona. They saw my Phillies cap."

Mr. Hill played "Fly Eagles Fly" for them.

During the 2003 Eagles playoffs, "some tailgaters heard me playing the fight song and hired me to play for their party. They fed me ribs and gave me some beer. That felt good," he told the Daily News.

Mr. Hill also played several times in the Mummers Parade.

In addition to his sister, Mr. Hill is survived by two brothers.

A musical memorial service with the Sun Ra Arkestra will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow at the Church of the Advocate, 1801 W. Diamond St. Burial was private.

Donations may be sent to Church of the Advocate, c/o Tyrone Hill Memorial, 1801 W. Diamond St., Philadelphia 19121-1509.

THE SUN RA ARKESTRA

UNDER THE DIRECTION OF MARSHALL ALLEN

will appear in a free outdoor concert on Friday,

April 27, 6:30 p.m. at the Pratt Institute, 200

Willoughby Ave. (between Hall St. & Classon

Ave.), Brooklyn, NY.

For additonal information on this event, visit:

http://brooklyn.untilmonday.com/event/ligh...sun_ra_arkestra

That 'Strange Strings' album is one of the most out disc by Sun Ra.

It was one of the couple dozen Saturns I bought directly from Sun Ra back in the late '60s!

The LP I have is a preview copy with handwritten title and tracks listings on the front cover.

The front cover title is 'Strange Strings'. The disc label identity the disc as 'Strange Strange'!