Blindfold Test #11

RDK

Well okay, you should all be receiving your discs any day now. I sent the first batch off last Saturday to the furthest spots of Eastern Europe and to a few others who advised that their mail service is particularly slow. I then sent the bulk of the international packages off on Tuesday, followed by domestic deliveries on Thursday and Friday. I mention this only in the hopes that we might be able to get a better idea of how long it takes for a package to reach various destinations when sent from the same location (in this case, Los Angeles). Consider it a side experiment if you will that may benefit future BFT bulk mailings...

I want to thank those who offered to help burn or distribute, but I ended up handling it all myself as I was a bit behind schedule as it was and it was simply more convenient (albeit a bit more expensive) for me to get them all out on my own. I never realized just how many participants (or forum members in general for that matter) reside overseas. I thought that was pretty cool; Organissimo is more "global" than I thought. B)

I hope nobody is daunted by the number of tracks spread over the two discs - I fear I got a bit carried away. ;) But it sure was fun to put these tracks together. It forced me to pull out some discs that I haven't spun in many years and revisit some favorite tracks. I don't think there's anything too obscure here, but I think (hope?) there are some surprises. I won't feel like I've done my job if there's not at least one DKDC from someone. :D

After considering various themes over the past few months, I have to report that BFT #11 is theme-less. It's just stuff that I dig: some old favorites, a few new discoveries, and a couple of classics that everyone should know. The Bonus Disc is a different story and in some ways it was even more fun for me to put together. It does have a musical theme that should be pretty obvious, though there are a few oddities tossed in for good measure. I hope you enjoy it.

One final note: several tracks, if not immediately obvious, should be fairly easy to determine based on clues in the songs, such as lyrics and, in at least one case, the leader introducing his bandmates. Editing the intro, I felt, undermined the "feeling" of the tune, so I left it in. But please try to listen to it and perhaps figure it out (it shouldn't be too hard) before running to AMG, which would give it away immediately.

Now go to it!

Edited by RDK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just brought my disc(s) up from the mailbox.

They got here in perfect condition.

Thanks!

I'm listening to disc 1 now. As I was skipping through disc 1 before to make sure there were no defects, there were some things I think I recognized. Was there a tune from this CD (if not, it's very close ... I'll check tonight, I'm sure I have it)?

What I like already now is the colorful mix ... a lot of variety. I have no idea if there will be more "freaky" stuff on disc 2, but disc 1 is very nice! That African thing sounded familiar. Vocalists I recognized. This one is going to be fun. I'll try to spend more time on it tonight.

Right now I'm gonna have both discs running while sorting out a meter and a half of papers.

Thanks a million, Ray!

Edited by deus62

I'm reluctant to post here. It looks like nobody has his/her CD yet? I mean, the bonus disc contains almost exclusively stuff from my collection. There are some titles I have heard but can't place (towards the middle and again at the end), but many are, as you said yourself, classics.

Two of them are tunes my dad played over and over again, that one with that guy R. in it, who is not the most sociable, and that one with the F alliteration. I mean, I could sing along with those, although my Mr. R. version is a different one.

Cheers!

A link to the lyrics, not the tunes.

Mr. R.

F alliteration

Edited by deus62

1. Hm, when was this recorded? 1960s or 1970s, I guess? Very very odd, with the drums (tympani?) & the bowed bass. Don’t like the bass player much here when he’s walking, & he loses his place after he breaks his rhythms circa 2:50. I’d initially wondered if this was that disc Spontaneous Explorations with Earl Hines, Richard Davis & Elvin Jones. But I don’t think it’s Hines & surely Richard Davis would sound better than that? but Elvin is still my pick for the drummer. A live concert. I’m kind of irritated I can’t place the pianist because I know I should be able to. The cut doesn’t work for me though it’s “interesting” as they say.

2. Surely Lester Bowie? Not sure about the tenor, though. James Carter? If so, this’ll be a track from Conversing with the Elders. God, it must be boring to be one of the members of the rhythm section on this kind of tune – they might as well be pre-recorded. I like the sound-effects playing by the horns ... though I’m not sure I’d want to listen that much to this track. Fun, nothing too special.

3. I was puzzled what this was doing here until the intrusion of jazz names into the lyrics. No comment, really.

4. Pretty start. Hm, should I know this tune? Aha, a little violin. That narrows down things a lot, since there’s only a handful of people it could be. Definitely not Mark Feldman. I get the impression of a European sensibility at work here. A very pretty track but it’s now 3:16 & I’m waiting for something to HAPPEN. Hm, 5 minutes in, & still nothing much going on. Ick, the unison strings at the end finally tip this over into schmaltz, which it's been threatening to do for the whole track.

5. Well, I can’t think of anything to say about this.

6. I should be able to place this tune but I can’t. Sounds like one of those sessions where the musicians were trying to play as straight as possible (e.g. Sonny Clark’s dull Standards disc on Blue Note), probably aiming to make a single. Late 1950s, uneventful, not sure what this is doing on the compilation. I’ve no idea who any of the players are.

7. Low key opening, nice but....how long’s it go on? The chord changes sound very familiar but I can’t place them. A touch of vocalise during the one moment of relative activity suggests this is Keith Jarrett. Like the last one I’ve no idea what this is doing here, so little happens.

8. Kind of interesting arrangement. I definitely don’t know the singer. Again, a very short track, but this has more point than the last two tracks.

9. The opening’s certainly different! This moves into something so different I’m wondering if a track marking is missing??? Balmy guitar/piano intro... oh, here come some voices again so I guess this is indeed all the same track. The Jim Pepper tune “Wichi-Tai-To” or however it’s spelled, obviously (though I have actually never heard it before). Jeez I really, really, really don’t like this track. (It's surely not BY Pepper because he's mentioned by name at one point, so I'd guess this is a posthumous tribute.)

10. Feisty opening! Um, when does the drum solo stop? I don’t get the inclusion of this track either: maybe in the context of an album it means something but here it’s just stranded. “Un Poco Loco”: a great tune, would have been nice to hear them PLAY it.

11. Weird juxtaposition between the thrashing percussion & the horn charts. Is this some kind of electronic collage? Or just meant to sound like it? Incrfedibly grating, but entertaining....heard once. I don’t recognize the voice, though I recognize the tune (barely!!).

12. Scofield on acoustic guitar. This sounds a hell of a lot like the Frisell/Scofield album but it's not on that disc (I have it). Maybe a duo with Metheny? Pretty enough, though as it builds it gets a bit soppy. I'm willing to bet this is a Scofield tune--the chord changes are typical Scofield.

13. I should probably know this singer. Odd lyrics, but good singer. Don’t have any real opinion about the rest of the band, not enough of a taste to get a real sense of what they can do. This is the first track since #2 I have much time for. Would like to hear her on more substantial material though.

14. Is this from an LP? So far (1:30) I’m suspecting this is going to be another track I have no real opinion on – not noxious but not interesting either. Scatterbrained piano solo. Tenor now, & I get the feeling I should know this player, but he doesn’t do anything terribly notable. The trumpeter simply seems unable to do much with the relentlessly jolly material (& you know by now I’m getting heartily sick of that unvaried horn chart). I’m breathing a sigh of relief by the fadeout.

15. Nice attentiongrabbing opening. This is a kind of pianoplaying I like – a little “off” but with a lot of flavour. It reminds me of Mal Waldron but it isn’t Mal. I’m sure I know this guy but can’t place him.

16. Well, I’m sure this would be easy to track down via the intro. Ugh, when the guy starts singing “Peace and love, peace and love” I’m already slipping into a bad mood. Once the alto sax starts things get better. Pleasant, effective solo. But I can’t really feel too strongly about this track either way. I've no idea who the saxophonist is. The way-out ending is a bit of a surprise at least, though it feels tacked-on.

Bonus disc:

Definitely a lot more to my taste than most of disc 1.

1. Nice cover of the Nat Cole tune, the rhythm guitarwork a little chunky, & there’s a bit of a tangle in the guitar solo after the Benny Goodman quote, but it’s fun stuff anyway. No idea who it is. The vocals are handled really well.

2. More loud crowd noise.... OK this is a comedy routine. Sounds like one of the speakers is called “Sweets”, which would narrow things down.

3. The piano intro sounds terribly familiar. Oh, once the horns come in...... I take it I don’t need to spell out who this is.

4. Nice rocking blues, not sure who it is or who the tenor is. Very high trumpet in the closing riffs: is that Cat Anderson perchance? This has more of a "jazz" feeling to it than some of the other tracks (e.g. the Prez flavour of the tenor solo).

5. “The Hucklebuck”. I take it the point of including this near track 3 is the link to “Now’s the Time”.

6. I like the wacked-out instruments! IS that a guitar?

7. No idea (you’ll have gathered by now that my knowledge of r’n’b, jump music, boogiewoogie, &c is very limited) but it’s nice.

8. The tenor sax player has a few surprises here. Good.

9. A lot smoother than most of the preceding. Is this a real piano? Sounds rather thin & electric. “Sonny” – Liston, to judge by the fight imagery?? Hm, gets into interesting polytonal zones at one point. What is this?

10. Well, surely Ellington. What’s the weird noise a minute or so before the end? Someone dropping something that rattles?

11. The opening sounds like a tacked piano! Nice boogiewoogie, & the tune’s more than a 12-bar blues. & a nice bass solo too & then guitar. Hm, this is an interesting track – touches of jazz and stride, a lot less limited than some boogie piano.

12. This is purer boogie: good stuff. Pity about the muzzy sound, but the music’s fine. The right hand does some interesting things, too – not just the expected riffs.

13. The kind of lyrics I like! Crunchy groove, the drummer sounding like he’s swatting something.

14. This is quite different from the stuff that we’ve just been listening to! Strange tune. Something self-consciously far-out, obviously, but it’s actually quite charming. No idea who it is. Is the clarinettist the leader? The percussion made me wonder if it was Red Norvo.

15. Never really liked this kind of thing. The singers do have an interesting rough edge to their voices.

16. Big sound on the tenor! Hm, I wish the saxophonist wouldn’t jump into the red so quickly, ditto the vocalist (who is the saxophonist, I assume). Weird recorded sound on the piano when it comes time to solo.

17. Huh? The intro is virtually the same as that to track 1, but it’s now a different Nat King Cole tune. In both cases it’s jokingly called “The Groove Juice Special”. This one devolves quickly into comedy and disjointed playing. Well, I liked track 1 but I didn’t need to hear this one. (Second thoughts: probably much of the point of this routine is the musicians' switching between different instruments, which explains some of the audience's hilarity.)

18. Oh, THIS one is easy. “Undecided”, & I’ve heard this one on the radio before. Major Holley & Slam Stewart? God that’s an amazing bullfrog of a voice. Classy band behind’em, whoever it is. Possibly Dave McKenna on piano. (Just listening again & second thought: Hank Jones on keys.)

19. I can’t figure this out: it sounds like a parody of Howling Wolf. Then there’s weird noise-guitar. Then the groove gets displaced in a strange manner. So a modern track giving a skewed version of 1950s styles? The recording quality on the voices suggests something recent. (Second thought on relisten: no, I think this is probably "original" not a modern stylistic takeoff. But jeez, that's quite the wacky groove--the lyrics are spot on!)

20. Liked this, don’t recognize it though.

21. Interestingly jittery, inventive arrangement. This is a really fascinating track. I like the raplike vocals. The reference to DDT dates this one! Hm, ends with a faded-out segue to something else. What IS this?

22. From the bop era but I find it curiously hard to i.d. the players. Dodo Marmarosa on the piano, Lucky Thompson on the tenor, I think, can't i.d. the bass & drums.

23. Oh dear, the opening of this isn't promising. What's the name of this tune again? The alto sounds very familiar, but the context does NOT. The pianist doesn't do much during his solo. This track makes no sense to me. Hang on......the last few seconds sound like Jaki Byard. Is this the Apollo Stompers? I don't like the track, I'm afraid.

24. Oh come on, Tom Waits of course.

25. Well, hard to miss who this is! Actually this strikes me as one of the more generic/less interesting tracks on this disc--your standard-issue hollering tenor solo. But, hey, that's not necessarily a criticism: it's not like he's pretending to do anything else.

---

Final thoughts: didn't like much of disc one--tracks 2 & 13 are nice enough, & the one that really got my attention was the piano solo, track 15. The rest ranged from "all right" to "annoying". I liked the 2nd disc a lot more--only tracks 17 & 23 really irritated me, the rest were fine to excellent.

Edited by Nate Dorward

Got my disc in the mail this evening. First of all, Ray, thanks for this compilation. It will mean a lot of fun, I´m sure!

Just starting DISC ONE. I´ll post my first guesses while listening to the disc, and then I´ll add comments to the rest of the tracks:

1.- Powerful percussion and bowed bass, while we can hear W.C. Handy´s "St. Louis blues" in the introduction. The track becomes a little too long, for my tastes.

2.- Interesting stuff. A bit of reggae&free. I´m pretty sure this is track 1 from this disc:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A88jqeai24xh7

3.- Not jazz by any means. I don´t like it, though lyrics talk about "... you could call on John Coltrane and you could call on Lady Day.... your troubles away..."

4.- Beautiful stuff. The intimate piano in the intro (and through all the piece) reminds me of John Lewis. Then comes the melodic and evocative violin... Like it, though I have no clue and I´m almost sure I´ve never heard this one before!

5.- Soundtrack here? What the hell are they singing? Dig that trumpet playing high notes around 1:30. No clue.

6.- Beautiful piano trio. I think I have this one, but can´t throw a name. At some moments it shows the ellegance of Teddy Wilson. Will do some further investigation. As for the tune, it´s well known, but this stupid head of me can´t bring the title.

7.- You think it´s gonna take off in any moment, but that ethereal sax never does!!!

8.- "Baltimore Oriole" (H. Carmichael / Webster) and I know that voice "a la Johnny Hartman".

This must be included in this box-set from that beloved label:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Abqf8zfd2ehpk

9.- The song is Jim Pepper´s "Witchi-Tai-To" (lyrics always make it easier ;) ).

WITCHI TIA TO GIM-MIE RAH

WHOA RON-NEE KA

WHOA RON-NEE KA

HEY-NEY HEY-NEY NO WAH

WATER SPIRIT FEELINGS

SPRINGIN' ROUND MY HEAD

MAKES ME FEEL GLAD

THAT I'M NOT DEAD

Don´t have this, neither do I like it! The African music at the beginning is not my stuff, and I can´t dig that sax, worthy of any smooth jazz or "world music" recording.

But some AMG/google research shows this must be:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ai09hs35ya3ng

10.- Yeah, powerful drumming, though I´m not very fond of looooong drum solos. I much rather prefer the guitar, it sounds familiar to me but don´t know who´s playing.

11.- The tune´s "I got plenty of nothing" isn´t it?. Strange theme!!! Strange sounds!

Yes, it´s obviously "I got plenty of nothing" when you hear the lyrics. No idea of that weird female vocals.

12.- No clue. Two guitarists I don´t recognize.

13.- This is track 2 from this record:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Anojleaw14x87

14.- I´m pretty familiar with the tune, but no idea of who´s playing. Nice track.

15.- Hey! One of the best tracks of this disc 1. Love that piano playing! Though you get the sensation that this is an unfinished song... you´d want more from it!

16.- Yeah! I saw this guy live a few days ago featured with the Kenny Werner Trio, in Madrid, playing alto and sopranino. Love his alto sax playing, except when he fiddled with electronics. And I never heard him singing before... now I know I wasn´t losing anything.

"Peace and love", from this live recording:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4r6qoa8ayijn

I´ve enjoyed this disc 1, Ray, thanx!!! Now heading for the bonus disc.

Edited by EKE BBB

First of all, thanks RDK for the double dose of tunes.

I believe you said you were looking for a few DKDC , how about I throw in a WTF or two? (Said half in jest)

Disc 1:

01-As I listened to the opening, all I could think of was "St. Louis has the blues cause its getting dive bombed by fighter jets? WTF!"

Seriously, this is the kind of "going over" a standard that I really can't stand.

02-Liked the rhythms, but the sound effects by the horns was extremely tiresome. Thanks, but no.

03-Fine for what it is, but it t'ain't jazz ...

06 - Rationally, this gets 3 stars. Compared to what came before, 100.

And so it goes ...

Recognized the singer with the wonderful sense of time, definitely dug that tune.

So, here I am, wondering what the heck disc 2 is going to bring.

Well, aside from recognizing the gimmes, I don't have much to say about it, except that I found the bonus much more pleasing than the main disc, not everything was my cup o' tea, but the hits were much more prevalent than the misses. :tup

I hope Conn. isn't participating on this one-all those vocalists would have driven him nuts. ;)

Thanks again, Ray. I'll follow the discussion for a few of the tracks and give another listen when you post the answers.

Got my discs today- thanks Ray. I've had a chance to listen to most of disc 1, and here are some first impressions:

1. After much analysis, I'm going to say this was St. Louis Blues (where's the "pat on the back" smiley when I really need it?) :g Beyond that, I have no clue.

2. Interesting combination of reggae rhythm with almost a trad jazz feel. Not my thing.

3. This sounds to me like Gil Scott Heron. I don't really know his work (not a fan), but I do recognize him. Interesting lyrics... I'll have to go back and check it out again.

4. I like this quite a bit... don't know who it is, but the sound of the ensemble and the writing combine to remind me a little bit of the "classical side" of Antonio Carlos Jobim, and the group that's currently performing his work in that style, Morelenbaum2/Sakamoto (that's not a guess, I'm just saying it reminds me of that). I'll be interested to see who/what this is.

6. Is that "You Belong To Me"? I don't have this version, and don't think I've ever heard it. Pretty nice.

8. "Baltimore Oriole", a Hoagy Carmichael tune. I have NO idea who is singing on this... ???

10. I should know this... I know I own it. That's Johnny Smith on guitar. I could go look this up, but I'll admit right now that I can't name it.

11. I Got Plenty Of No Idea Who Is Performing This. :)

13. This one sounds to me like Shirley Horn. I've heard this before, but don't own it. A live recording... shouldn't be too hard to figure out with some research. What strikes me is that for Shirley, this thing moves along at 100 mph!! I wonder how old this recording is... doesn't sound that old, but I thought she had been doing the sssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww delivery thing for years and years... ?

Some of the ones I left blank are not my cup o' tea, some I'm just clueless about right now, and a few I haven't really had time to analyze.

More tomorrow, I hope. Thanks again, Ray!

Edited by Jim R

And now, DISC TWO.

25 tracks, man! Let´s start with a few guesses.

1.- "Hit that jive, Jack" (Alston/Tolbert). I should make some research to identify players/vocalists.

2.- "Open the door, Richard" (Fletcher-Mason-McVea-Howell). The guy playing piano has his centenary this year (and 20 years after his death, man!). RCA/Victor stuff. Vocals H"S"E, BJ and ensemble. Recorded January 3, 1947. Anything more?

3.- The bird flies, no doubt! "Now´s the time", probably from the Savoy sides though the sound´s much better than the release I have. Will do some further research.

10.- Some Ellingtonia for the people!!! With the first note you discover it´s "C-Jam blues" (the vocal version was called "Duke´s place"). Must check which one´s this live version.

11.- After Alexander´s BFT, where I mistook boogie-woogie (Meade Lux Lewis & Ammons) for stride (Fats Waller) I told myself I would never say a word about this again.... but I will! :P

12.- Again you´re tempting me! :lol:

15.- It´s a pleasure to hear the king, with little Annie. Love this vocalese version of "Moody´s mood for love" (aka "I´m in the mood for love"). Included here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4z9yxd0b8oly

24.- There was a time when I was a Tom Waits nut! That was a few years ago.

More to come!

Edited by EKE BBB

Thanks a lot for these discs, Ray, there are two or three items on the first disc alone that I will run out and buy as soon as I know for sure what it is. They arrived here on Monday, but it took me three attempts to listen through the whole first disc, the first two times I was called away during track 4, so I know the first three the best ... ;)

Disc One:

Track 1: Some heavy Garnerisms in the piano ... but the way he continues quickly reveals it can't be him - and he wouldn't have surrounded himself with two mildly mad men pitch bending their timpani and bowed bass. That pianist reminds me of ... wait a minute, I think I once had this album and sold it to get the CD, which I didn't of course, but sure, this is from this great album of one of the - unfortunately no longer - walking history books of jazz piano.

Track 2: Let's play some reggae music .... is this Lester Bowie? No idea who the saxist is.

Track 3: Nice groove, and a great example how close soul music and jazz were in the 1970's, at least in spirit. Who would cite Lady Day and Coltrane in a lyric at this time? I'd say this guy.

Track 4: Very very nice and beautiful and a prime example of good jazz chamber music. It will be very hard for me to not rush out on hit the checkout button of some online record shop once I know what this is. I dare say the violinist is more classically inclined, but he improvises very well and takes his time, leaves spaces and interacts nicely. It gets even better when the bassist pulls out his bow, too. Now if only I knew who this is ..... :rolleyes:

Track 5: Again, no idea. That tuba in the ensemble may be a cue, but I don't know too much music in that vein, so I will leave the sleuthing to others.

Track 6: I should know who this pianist is. Some monkerisms, almost if Monk suddenly had turned gentleman of jazz piano. Of course this is not Monk. The pianist I know well that comes closest to this approach to jazz piano, avoiding all superficial display of technical prowess, and - just like Monk - thinking out loud at the piano while recording, is John Lewis. If it is him, I hope this is the album some friendly board member is about to transfer to disc for me.

Track 7: Keith Jarrett with Dewey Redman - or even from his Charles Lloyd days? Don't have the patience and inner calmness for that kind of stuff right now.

Track 8: The moment the singer comes in is almost killing me!!! I cannot think of a more intense way of using vocal chords. Oh my God .... If it is this guy, it is clear I have too little of his music. I'll rush out and get this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Track 9: That language sounded African to me at first, but the vocal gives away a little later. Some Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays? That saxist is not touching my soul, I know this is sincerely done, but it is not to my taste. Is it this guy?

Track 10: Basically, a drum feature, and he starts out nice, but I'm disappointed he doesn't take it to more interesting places from there. He should have disassembled that phrase and develop it, a drum solo cannot be made up from technical phrases alone. Don't like his drum sound either. No idea. Is that a second guitar or overdub in the ensemble?

Track 11: My mind was still occupied with the previous track when this one hit me - I surely would have appreciated this more at a different position in the program. I will have to listen to this separately. I was just wrecking my brains about the song title when the singer brought me relief. No idea who this is, but an interesting treatment.

Track 12: Again, two guitars? Are these strings synthesized? Not very much natural room ambience around them. Will have to listen to this once more.

Track 13: Shirley Horn? Very nice, haven't heard her do more lively tempos so far.

Track 14: No idea - don't know what to think about this. A little too sloppy for me.

Track 15: This needs - and deserves - some more, and closer, listening. So far, no idea.

Track 16: :g ..... as you warned us, no need to AMG for this nice album. Great choice, a vastly underrated artists, although his singing is not nearly as good as hsi sax playing.

Very interesting choices, thanks a lot! Now I have to see where to find some time to listen to that bonus disc .....

Track 6: I should know who this pianist is. Some monkerisms, almost if Monk suddenly had turned gentleman of jazz piano. Of course this is not Monk. The pianist I know well that comes closest to this approach to jazz piano, avoiding all superficial display of technical prowess, and - just like Monk - thinking out loud at the piano while recording, is John Lewis. If it is him, I hope this is the album some friendly board member is about to transfer to disc for me. 

Funny you mentioned John Lewis for track 6 and I mentioned him in track 4 (which, of course, we will discover it´s not him)

Edited by EKE BBB

13. This one sounds to me like Shirley Horn. I've heard this before, but don't own it. A live recording... shouldn't be too hard to figure out with some research. What strikes me is that for Shirley, this thing moves along at 100 mph!! I wonder how old this recording is... doesn't sound that old, but I thought she had been doing the sssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww delivery thing for years and years... ?

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:g:g:g:g:g:g

Track 2: Let's play some reggae music .... is this Lester Bowie? No idea who the saxist is.

Yes, it is him, playing as a sideman for a younger guy.

I just identified it, some hints posted above gave it away. I have this disc. That track didn't impress me very much in the first place, so WTF? :g

Strange I didn't get the sax guy, as have been listening to him almost every day during last week! I think he is a bit too respectful in the presence of all the elders on that record.

So much for my personal BT rule # 1: There always, I repeat: ALWAYS!!! is an item that I own but do not recognize!!! :rolleyes::winky::o

Yes, it is him, playing as a sideman for a younger guy.

I just identified it, some hints posted above gave it away. I have this disc. That track didn't impress me very much in the first place, so WTF? :g

Strange I didn't get the sax guy, as have been listening to him almost every day during last week! I think he is a bit too respectful in the presence of all the elders on that record.

So much for my personal BT rule # 1: There always, I repeat: ALWAYS!!! is an item that I own but do not recognize!!! :rolleyes::winky::o

:g:g:g

I much rather prefer "Jurassic classics", from the previous year. Though he also remains "respectful", this time to the composers, not to the players. B)

8.- "Baltimore Oriole" (H. Carmichael / Webster) and I know that voice "a la Johnny Hartman".

This must be included in this box-set from that beloved label:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Abqf8zfd2ehpk

If this is true, my view of the jazz vocal world and my financial plans for the rest of the year will be in disorder!

Disc One

1. Sounds like someone with fairly "free" leanings playing some old school jass...I have no clue who this could be but I really like the track. Not so sure about the frenzied arco bass playing though...

2. What an odd tune...reggae into dixieland? Is that Ray Anderson on trombone? Sounds like Lester Bowie on trumpet. No clue what album this is off of but I dig it! Looking forward to finding out who this is.

3. Not my cup of tea. The song is ok, for what it is, but nothing that I would go out of my way to hear again.

4. Interesting instrumentation. Not that I have any idea who this is, but the choices must be fairly limited. I'm guessing that an educated search on AMG would turn this up quickly. A nice track, kind of chamber-jazz-ish, fairly romantic.

5. This track has a nice groove going. Pretty odd with the chanting and all. No idea what this is but I am curious to find out. I can't decide if I like this track or not after two listens.

6. Nice quiet piano piece, don't know who this is...

7. Not a lot happens here. This one didn't grab me after two listens.

8. I'm not a big fan of jazz with vocals but this track is ok. Don't know who this is.

9. This one was easy. Anytime I hear jazz w/ native american vocals I think Jim Pepper. The lyrics give this one away.

10. Decent drum solo, not much here for me to latch onto. I don't know who this is.

11. Interesting track. Odd mix of big band chart with some freer playing in there. No clue.

12. Two guitars, sound fairly new-agey to me. Makes me think Pat Metheney is one of the guitarists. Is the other Scofield? This track is ok, not something I would rush out and buy but worth hearing.

13. Again, the vocals are really not my cup of tea, but this track wasn't bad. I'm curious to see who this is...I would give this singer a second chance before writing them off.

14. I don't know who this is. I am struck by how little the horns seem to be doing here.

Disc Two

I listened to disc two without paying too much attanetion last night and really enjoyed it. I have no clue who most of these musicians are but will start posting my thoughts as I have time today and tomorrow:

24. Another gimme. Waits' voice is so distinctive. I dug this track a lot more than I expected to.

Just got this one yesterday and gave it a listen and a half... Excellent set!!! I am certain it will provoke lots of discussion .

1) What a crazy (and Handy) opener! Those talking tympani bombs are something out of a cartoon. (maybe piano music for a pack of hungry cannibals). Is that Duke? This is a fantastic cut and thanks for starting this up so interestingly! (i surprised myself that i knew this title at least and did not hear the opening call to arms on my first spin)

2) Love this toasty first line and that 'winchester cathedral' hookem. We should all know the name, I presume? This is reason one here for when all these redundant reggae heads who budge in at a party and have to toss on some disc that they bought on a trip to Jamaica and it all sounds the same all the while dissing good jazz and it's cousins. Here in is the root! Lock the door, open the bathroom window, twist it up and roll.

3) "Ain't this peculiar"...Man I must beg your segue manners here. Gil Scott Heron ? no... too obvious. nice... next...

4) Oh that buzz I got from the deuce at the beginning is wearing off. A beauty though in that Pablo Zeigler without as much Argentinian meat. This is a keeper!

5) Hoo, yeah! Is this some M-Boom Roach thing???

6) Very sweet... was this a bonus track on Alexander's test? ;) "Invitation to a Kiss" ?

7) Another keeper but no idea.

8) Your segue knack is back! No idea on this bari. Gorgeous!!

9) Pepper's Witchi Tai To by some more modern talker drum intro and now the pianist is who to identify?... have to come back to this but I've never actually liked this song, usually...

10) My little Ruarks are smiling at this drummer. The title's on my tongue... oh it's over... got to think some more here...

11) Porgy done by one of them wacky Dutch bands?? Has a bit of electronica sound to the recording... now vox... what a send up here... like from some Baz Luhrman soundtrack?

12) No clue, but a stunning sound you got on this disc...

13) Some standard I've never ever heard. Thanks!

14) From here: 'bfahk' Always remember this for the drunken sounding "Blue" on trumpet and that the guy on the sax has such a cool name for a dish of "bird of paradise done up with a nice pesto". As I do not have this I will bet a dollar it get's it's namesake from Don Cherry.

15) Nice segue as this sounds more like the piano player from the last cut than he did there. No clue but this is another great piece.

16) Nice way to end the set.

This is a very fine disc Ray and one that I will come back to many times!!! Thanks, you did good.

Now do I check the threads or hop on disc 2? :tup

(edit for sp)

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Track 1: Some heavy Garnerisms in the piano ... but the way he continues quickly reveals it can't be him - and he wouldn't have surrounded himself with two mildly mad men pitch bending their timpani and bowed bass. That pianist reminds me of ... wait a minute, I think I once had this album and sold it to get the CD, which I didn't of course, but sure, this is from this great album of one of the - unfortunately no longer - walking history books of jazz piano.

I've only perused a few posts but...Oh man... I have been meaning to hear this! That track was a highlight here. Thanks for the turn on. "Some people just don't get it!" :wacko:

14. Is this from an LP? So far (1:30) I’m suspecting this is going to be another track I have no real opinion on – not noxious but not interesting either. Scatterbrained piano solo. Tenor now, & I get the feeling I should know this player, but he doesn’t do anything terribly notable. The trumpeter simply seems unable to do much with the relentlessly jolly material (& you know by now I’m getting heartily sick of that unvaried horn chart). I’m breathing a sigh of relief by the fadeout.

Maybe it's a "later years" thing but this trumpet player was getting on here and I feel, just my opinion, it has a very purposeful stagger to it. :tup