Blindfold Test #11

RDK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14. Is this from an LP?  So far (1:30) I’m suspecting this is going to be another track I have no real opinion on – not noxious but not interesting either. Scatterbrained piano solo. Tenor now, & I get the feeling I should know this player, but he doesn’t do anything terribly notable. The trumpeter simply seems unable to do much with the relentlessly jolly material (& you know by now I’m getting heartily sick of that unvaried horn chart).  I’m breathing a sigh of relief by the fadeout.

Maybe it's a "later years" thing but this trumpet player was getting on here and I feel, just my opinion, it has a very purposeful stagger to it. :tup

I should clarify that I thought the trumpet solo was all right but that it was difficult to make anything sound good over that backdrop, esp. the repetitious horn chart.

You guys are good! ;) But I didn't think that too many of these would stump you.

Glad you're enjoying things, but I'm also rather glad to see that there are a few tracks that one or more of you dislike. I often find the DKDC or WTF? responses more interesting. :g

It's also very interesting to me - especially when viewing things from the opposite side for once - to see how some of you listen to, experience, or even approach "jazz" in different ways than me. Already, in just the few comments posted, I'm realizing things about some of these tracks that I've known for years that I never noticed before. I think that's cool...

Thanks for the disks, RDK, they have just arrived. I have track 5 playing just as I'm typing here and have had a quick listen to all of the tracks. Here's the first thoughts:-

(1) Got this one straight away. It's This One... David Izenzon on bass and dear Elvin on the drums. Fine stuff !

(2) Sounds like Lester Bowie. Haven't a clue about the session or group though.

(3) Its track 3 from This one... I have this on a 'Blaxploitation' various artists CD set.

(4) Wild guess, Mark Feldman on violin? Need to have another listen to this one.

(5) 'Money Jungle' ? (at least that's what it sounds like they are saying). A total blank on this one.

(6) Sounds like John Lewis - a 50s recording. George Duvivier, Connie Kay?

(7) Again, a loss on this one.

(8) 'Baltimore Oriole' - don't recognise the vocalist. Sort of doo-wop backings so late-50s I guess.

(9) 'Un Poco Loco' - guitar and drums. Sort of Tal Farlow-ish guitar style.

(10) This one sounds as though it might be These guys..version of Jim Pepper's Wichi-Tai-To.

(11) 'I Got Plenty Of Nothin' from 'Porgy and Bess'. Don't recognise the big band, sort of Stan Tracyish piano player. Scandinavian vocalist? Hmmmm - Willem Breuker?

(12) Sounds familiar - from This one..?

(13) Nice female vocal plus trio. Don't recognise it..

Edited by sidewinder

Woops I nearly forgot numbers 14 and 15:

(14) Hmm. Sort of Bobby Timmons-ish in parts but it definitely isn't him. Mingus?

(15) Recognised the alto player immediately. It's track 11 from This one...

Great collection of music and, again, many thanks ! Disk 2 goes on now - sounds like a pretty good attempt at Jazz/Rock 'n Roll Fusion... :D Caught a snippet of Eddie Jefferson so this should be just grrrrreat !

Edited by sidewinder

May I remind of the "rule" that if you exactly identify a track or a musician, please post a link rather than typing the tracks/names directly, to keep the discussion more interesting and making peeking not that much of a danger for future posters? It's cool, I had to learn this myself ... B)

1. Could go a couple of ways to go here. I pick up hints of Summertime in the melody, but it might just be hints. The bass playing is pretty audacious to attribute to a fifties or sixties session, but I'm thinking it might be just that. My guess is Gil Melle. On the other hand it might be as left field as David Seville or Serge Gainsbrough.

2. I'm thinking Lester Bowie. Not as "out" as most of his stuff, but the vocal trumpet style and reggae groove make me want to stick to my guess, even though it's clearly not Brass Fantasy from the instrumentation.

3. Clearly Gil Scott-Heron. Lady Day and John Coltrane.

4. Is this Kenny Barron and Regina Carter?

5. Not familiar with the style. New York Voices or something?

6. Nothing jumping out at me here. Erroll Garner is a possibility

7. Jarrett and Garbarek.

8. Baltimore Oriole, but not quite the same song Sheila Jordan sang. Kevin Mahogany?

9. Witchi Tai To - Not sure whether to guess Jim Pepper or Pat Metheny? Metheny wins the coin flip... wait the vocalist clearly calls out "Pepper". I'll switch back to Jim Pepper.

10. Drums heavily featured here. Either the drummer's date of the guitarist's. Chico Hamilton's the drummer I most think of leading small groups with guitar.

11. Entertaining but slightly hokey big band char introduces white or latin sounding vocalist singing I've Got Plenty of Nothing. Could this be that Swedish? import whose name is something like Nulle and Verdorkester.

12. I'm thinking this is a Jim Webb composition, possibly from the Missouri Sky Pat Metheny- Charlie Haden date. It definitely is overdubbed, if so.

13. I'm liking Sarah Vaughan here. Nice arrangement, Sarah often got too much goop from her producers. Aaah, live date.

14. It's been a while since I guessed Thad Jones- Mel Lewis Big Band. Why not now!

15. Rich, gospelly solo piano. The latest Down Beat mentioned a Red Garland solo date. Since I'm unaware of any Gene Harris solo dates, I'll go with Red.

16. Hubert Eaves, Stafford James, hmm ... Since the voice and the alto sax are never together, I'm going to venture Gary Bartz as my guess.

Bonus

The bonus disk stumped me time after time. I always like to take a guess because I might luck into a right answer, but I'm on very shaky gound here.

1. Recreation of Bebop era jive. "Groovy" would seem to peg it as sixties or later. I'm not sure Louis Jordan lived that long, but the song and style are both associated with him. Come to think of it the song might be pre-bebop.

2. More recreation of Bebop era jive. Open the Door, Richard. I think Jack McVea did the original.

3. Bird!! I always get Bird and Monk tunes wrong, but I'll try anyway. Chasin the Worm? Probably Miles on trumpet.

4. This seems to be halfway between Lester Young's style and Coleman Hawkins'. I think Hawk is likelier.

5. The Hucklebuck. I forget who made the original hit and forever incurred Bird's wrath.

6. More toward jump blues. Illinois Jacquet? The guitar sound is more associated with rock and roll or R&B than jazz.

7. I'se a Muggin in a jump blues style. I think the song is associated with Louis Armstrong, but its obviouly not him. Since I'm unfamiliar with much of this genre, I'll guess the names I do know a few times over. Louis Jordan?

8. Not much of a clue. Title seems to be Cadillac Boogie. Jay McShann?

9. I'll guess Les McCann with very little conviction.

10. Duke's Place, AKA C Jam Blues. In an entertaining live trio version that's not by Duke. Three Sounds?

11. Seems like boogie-woogie, but played by a quartet. Sounds like solo piano for much of the tune. Jaki Byard?

12. Similar style. Could be Oscar Peterson.

13. Jeannie and Jimmy Cheatham?

14. I kept wanting to say Duke, but I couldn't make out any piano at all. It sounded 30's-40's stylistically, but not particularly New Orleans based.

15. Moody's Mood For Love. Could be Jon Hendricks, no idea on the female singer. The song's historically associated with King Pleasure and Eddie Jefferson. On relistening I'm going with Eddie, not Jon.

16. This has the feel of Archie Shepp's standards playing.

17. Slim Gailliard's Flat Foot Floogie. Could be a cover, but I'll stick with Slim.

18. Any two of Slam Stewart, Major Holley and Milt Hinton.

19. Unknown R&B singing frog. I like it. Lee Dorsey as a wild guess.

20. T-Bone Walker did some dates with horns in this style.

21. Story song with two male vocals and excellent accompaniment. I haven't tried Cleanhead Vinson yet.

22. Could be Dexter Gordon.

23. Earl Hines is my wild guess

24. Tom Waits. The Piano Has Been Drinking.

25. If it isn't Big Jay McNeeley, then I fell for the bait.

Hi Ray,

got my disk yesterday and had a frist partial run in my car some minutes ago...

some sound very familiar, some almost strange (or better beyond my taste but I will give those tracks a creful second try)

at Track 1) Summertime was immediately popping up but is soemthing different (but not to far away from that)

at track 3) Gil Scott Heron ? Lady day ...heard that someway back mid 70s

at Track 7) some ECM Jan Garbarek comes into my mind (but is more a mood tzhat is created here)

at track 9) I would guess that some else has already identified that as the Pepper Wichi-Tai-To from the Pow-Wow, or ?

rest to follow after I have some time tomorrow

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

at Track 1) Summertime was immediately popping up but is something different (but not to far away from that)

If you listen closely you will hear one of the musicians announce "St. Louis Blues" at the beginning of track 1. But to fool you, he starts playing the main melody of "Summertime" instead, which, when played in the same key, which is not like they were written, works out very nicely.

at Track 1) Summertime was immediately popping up but is something different (but not to far away from that)

If you listen closely you will hear one of the musicians announce "St. Louis Blues" at the beginning of track 1. But to fool you, he starts playing the main melody of "Summertime" instead, which, when played in the same key, which is not like they were written, works out very nicely.

thanks Mike, that's what I searched for !

will try the rest of the disc first before reading the other comments....

Cheers, Tjobbe

I heard "St. Louis Blues" right from the git-go. I also hated it because of the liberties taken.

Give me Red Garland's version anytime over that.

But if I used Red's version, Dan, then you would have guessed it right away and what kind of BFT would that have been, huh?

:D

Thanks, RDK - I got the disks on Monday morning but having been quite busy lately I've only listened once so far. Scanned quickly through preceding comments as I don't have much idea about any tracks. I will give it another spin soon and try to come up with something.

...This trick works, BTW, because the introduction of "St. Louis Blues" (copyrighted 1914) is very close to the main melody of "Summertime" (copyrighted 1935). Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion is that there shouldn't be any confusion about this. :) Seriously, there's no trick going on here. What is played after the announcement that the tune is going to be "St. Louis Blues" is the introduction (verse / same as middle section of the tune) to... "St. Louis Blues". Yes, there is a similarity in the opening notes, but if you compare the two closely, it's not exact enough to cause this much confusion. If anybody is still confused, try singing the words ("Summertime, and the living is easy", versus "St. Louis woman, with her diamnond rings"). The "Summertime" lyrics don't work here.

I heard "St. Louis Blues" right from the git-go.  I also hated it because of the liberties taken.

Give me Red Garland's version anytime over that.

But if I used Red's version, Dan, then you would have guessed it right away and what kind of BFT would that have been, huh?

:D

It would be the kind of BFT I would love! ;)

Having read nothing before, here goes:

Comments on disc one:

Track 1: The St. Louis Blues seemed like it was gonna go on forever. HAFC™.

Track 2: My own personal hang-up: never been a fan of reggae or reggae-type rhythms. I was gonna guess Bobby McFerrin “singing” the trumpet part. Skipped to next track, didn’t finish this one.

Track 3: Trying to see the jazz connection here, but failing. HAFC™, and didn’t finish this one either.

Track 4: This started okay, sounding sorta like Bill Evans. The violin solo started, and I skipped to the next track.

Track 5: Some kinda weird chanting. HAFC™! Next!

Track 6: NOW it starts to get good! There’s a part, almost like a bridge I guess, that threw me for an unpredictable loop; I thought it was gonna go into some kinda vamp and it didn’t. Very cool! I’m guessing Hank Jones.

Track 7: Another good ‘un! I’m guessing one of those Lee Konitz duets, but I don’t know who the pianist is. No, that can’t be right; Konitz woulda been more adventurous. Although, I do like what the sax player is doing, in a rubato kinda way!

Track 8: I would’ve enjoyed this so much more had there been no vocal. HAFC™, and didn’t finish this one either.

Track 9: This is the song that doesn’t end; it just goes on and on my friends…..

Track 10: That opening sounded like Johnny Smith, so that’s my guess. Who’s the drummer? Fantastic!

Track 11: Right now, this doesn’t make much of an impression, but sounds like it could grow on me. HAFC™.

Track 12: Sounds like “If I Only Had a Brain.” Can’t wait to find out who this is!

Track 13: Not a very big fan of vocals, HAFC™.

Track 14: Seems like I should know this, but it’s escaping me. Good swinger, though!

Track 15: The first name that came to mind was Earl Hines. Don’t know why; it’s not like I’m familiar with any of his work! But I guess this just sounds like the kind of thing I imagine him playing.

Track 16: Well, I guess the track itself gives the answer away, but I still don’t know who it is. I like it though, up until the last minute of screaming!

Kind of uneven, but I’m looking forward to the stories behind the selections!

Comments on disc two.

Some of these are familiar because they sound like tunes I’ve heard in various Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies. In fact, track 14 comes from the man who inspired so many of those very Toons, track #7 from this album! It’ll be interesting to read about the inspiration behind these choices!