Blindfold Test #11

RDK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

01. St Louis Blues (the announcement tells me), stays close to the "summertime" component. I think of St Louis as that tune that sounds like summertime but isn't. This starts off as some very earthy stuff, with that honest&bluesy piano player (that goes a bit off his rockers half way through, just as couw likes it). no clue (of course). The tympanic effects with the bowed bass are VERY cool. This turns into something it should not, but it fits, so hey! :tup

02. heheheheheh. ragga! sounds like Lester Bowie. This really sounds as if they are making fun of the high-brow reggea public. I mean, that stuff wasn't meant to be high-brow, so have your FUN willya! excellent stuff. VERY curious about this. My fear is that the rest of the album will cover too many more styles... fegh man! who is this guy ripping it ALL up on alto, yay! Carter maybe? don't know, will want to!

03. gil, sent a link to a boardmember yesterday... a nice tune for pop's sake, doesn't really fit here IMHO though. great groove if you wanna dance your pants off on the floor and show them youngsters life ain't what it used to be. next.

04. aaah yes, loved this one from the first play. Verrry sweet and subtle. In that light it's a pity that the violin strays off the "classic" path to throw in some "personal" sounds after a while; I wish it wouldn't.

05. heheheheh (again!). uptro intro sounds a LOT like Tyner had a hand in this. Will doubt that for the utter wackness that follows. That deep voice is like the guy with all the hair that faked in the BoneyM band. Pretty intense and pretty darn cool stuff! :tup

06. you are too beautiful. nice decided touch, has a bit of Monk's back off lines in there. but couw ain't no exspurred on piani so will goggle what the others have to say. overall this one is not throw-off-the-chair, but then it's not supposed to be, and I like it.

07. giddeyap boy! that don't help, ah wait, they're on to something... or not? Jarrett? Too artsy for my taste, nice idea but the minimalism makes it all too abstract; the tenor does communicate, but doesn't get a story to tell. Dewey maybe?

08. Now THAT is an opening! Love it! DAMN, THIS is some daaaaaaamn fine interpretation. Probably the Four Freshmen if the dissing on this board is any measure... ;)

09. sorry Jim, you're a fine player, but this particular tune has never enamoured me. And the sax sounds real cheap.

10. Poco Loco. Chico mebbe?

11. STUPID MUSIC!!!!! YAY!!!! PAR TAY!!!! Loving it. that utterly WRONG bass/rhythm substitute sound that bounces off the left ear is... yes. Porgy & Bess right? The instrumentation is plenty off the wall. Sounds like a non native speaker who's singing

12. there's two of them right? sounds quite like the music you get when watching an intermission on telly really. very nice in and of itself, but much to slick in its nicety for couw. sorry.

13. Eagle and Me, Ms Horn maybe? nice, a bit too flashy at times; some sort of too much of live-recording-ness creeps in that I do not think fits that well. It's all a bit TOO loose. The mix is a bit off as well. Good singing, good playing of course!

14. Took me a while but I think this might be mr ibrahim, the intro sounds a LOT like it. Then the joy took me further to his place. Not one of his best efforts (if it's him!) The bass is too thick and distracting. overall it sounds a bit sloppy.

15. hum, an Ibrahim clone?

16. peace and love is my gues. Bartz eh? Nice really, never heard this before. The alto is very distinctive of course. Cool finish I must say.

This disk didn't necessarily feature the highest brow music but it has been damn entertaining and then I haven't even addressed the bonus disk yet. That one was even MORE entertaining. It seems like the old guys gathered on the second disk knew how to combine slapstick fun, tearjerk moans, and high brow art, or has time made high brow what once was just slapstick and tearjerk? dunno. There's a lot of sincere but direct stuff here as well. Just like Shepp and Waits on the bonus, utter, naked honesty. Even that may sound cheap and I myself found some of the tracks included here to be on the cheap side. Not the Shepp and the Waits though. I appreciate the challenge in search of cheapniss a whole lot.

Many thanks an utter bunch for an off the wall BFT. It had me on my toes. :tup

only started to read through this just yet but...

WOA Nate, bad mood? Didn't Sleep too well?

sorry, but as one who sat in the chair Ray is in right now, I must tell you that such an utterly negative take on things just... well, it sucks. Lighten up man. It's not as if we're writing creeteequee for some fancy journal.

nothing personal, just that this rubs wrong up my own BFT feathers...

No worries, guys, my skin is mighty thick. I'm having a blast reading your coments, jibes and all. Honestly, I find many of the negs more interesting than the positive responses (though I worry with the negs that you may not be enjoying the discs, warts and all). I suspected that most of you would not like a couple of the tracks. Heck, there are a few tracks that even I don't dig all that much but I thought they'd be good fodder for discussion and/or I was curious what others would say about them. For those of you wondering what a couple of the tracks are "doing here," all I'll say (for now) is that I have my reasons... ;)

14) From here: 'bfahk' Always remember this for the drunken sounding "Blue" on trumpet and that the guy on the sax has such a cool name for a dish of "bird of paradise done up with a nice pesto". As I do not have this I will bet a dollar it get's it's namesake from Don Cherry.

Well, I've googled post post and this track is not the one I thought but it is named after the tenor I believe, so don't go by me. B)

only started to read through this just yet but...

WOA Nate, bad mood? Didn't Sleep too well?

sorry, but as one who sat in the chair Ray is in right now, I must tell you that such an utterly negative take on things just... well, it sucks. Lighten up man. It's not as if we're writing creeteequee for some fancy journal.

nothing personal, just that this rubs wrong up my own BFT feathers...

I hadn't written the responses as a formal critique, they were simply a running commentary. Sorry to be crabby about much of the 1st disc but I calls'em like I sees'em. If people are similarly crabby about my own BFT when it comes up then that's fine.

If you listen closely you will hear one of the musicians announce "St. Louis Blues" at the beginning of track 1. But to fool you, he starts playing the main melody of "Summertime" instead, which, when played in the same key, which is not like they were written, works out very nicely.

...This trick works, BTW, because the introduction of "St. Louis Blues" (copyrighted 1914) is very close to the main melody of "Summertime" (copyrighted 1935). Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusion is that there shouldn't be any confusion about this. :) Seriously, there's no trick going on here. What is played after the announcement that the tune is going to be "St. Louis Blues" is the introduction (verse / same as middle section of the tune) to... "St. Louis Blues". Yes, there is a similarity in the opening notes, but if you compare the two closely, it's not exact enough to cause this much confusion. If anybody is still confused, try singing the words ("Summertime, and the living is easy", versus "St. Louis woman, with her diamnond rings"). The "Summertime" lyrics don't work here.

You're right, of course.

But, considering many may probably listen more to instrumental versions of tunes and may net be familiar with the words, that melodic step a third down and up again, that both tunes share - I can see how it may mislead a casual listener.

I hadn't written the responses as a formal critique, they were simply a running commentary. Sorry to be crabby about much of the 1st disc but I calls'em like I sees'em. If people are similarly crabby about my own BFT when it comes up then that's fine.

looking forward to it.... icon_twisted.gif

;)

3. Bird!! I always get Bird and Monk tunes wrong, but I'll try anyway. Chasin the Worm? Probably Miles on trumpet.

Ditto here! Still not sure it´s "Now´s the time" (that was my guess, but I should check my discs and not being so lazy). If it is, Miles is on trumpet.

4.  This seems to be halfway between Lester Young's style and Coleman Hawkins'.  I think Hawk is likelier.

Randy:

I may be wrong, but I can´t see any resemblance of Pres on this track. And the "environment" and groove of it doesn´t make Bean a very likely choice, though IMHO there are some Hawk-ish licks here.

Edited by EKE BBB

I have looked at other people’s comments hardly at all, although I did see something about Elvin for 1. A lot are far from my usual ambit but some nice moments which I am enjoying.

Disc 1.

1. St Louis Blues. Because of the tympani the name of Max Roach came into my mind – based on what I’m not sure. No idea of pianist or bass player.

2. I know this tune but haven’t got this version. Flugelhorn or trumpet? Some strange noises in there. No clue as to who is playing.

3. I don’t go too much on vocals usually but I liked this, and the same goes for the electric piano.

4. Enjoyed this too, but still no guesses even.

5. Does nothing for me.

6. Is the tune You Belong to Me? – could it be Mose Allison?

7. The pianist’s vocal noises sounded akin to Keith Jarrett’s but I’m not familiar enough with his playing to guess. But if it is, Charles Lloyd on tenor?

8. “Baltimore Oriole” – impressive performance – clueless again.

9. No ideas – the language sounds as if it could be Native American of some kind to my unaccustomed ears.

10. At least I know the tune I think – Un Poco Loco. Can’t guess the players.

11. I Got Plenty o’ Nothin’. No guesses.

12. No ideas

13. Ditto

14. Not my kind of jazz – heavy off-beat.

15. Solo piano – don’t know what it is or who.

16. Not familiar with this one either, or the players as far as I know, apart from Stafford James. Leader’s “singing” is pathetic – “inspired” by A Love Supreme?

Disc 2.

I’m not going to attempt detailed comments on each track! None of them allow me to make any guesses but I did enjoy listening nonetheless. 3. and 5. are Now’s the Time of course but I can’t guess who is playing on either. 10. is C Jam Blues, 11. Oh, Lady Be Good and 18. Undecided. I’ve heard the one about the piano drinking before but can’t remember who is performing that either - droll. Not quite all blues.

Thanks for a stimulating pair of discs, RDK. This BFT does make me listen to things I ordinarily wouldn’t hear. While I don’t like some, the nice surprises more than make up for that.

Ray, I need to have a beer with you someday. A man that puts together a bonus disc with 25 fun filled tracks deserves to have a beer bought for him. :tup

The main disc has really stumped me, as if that should surprise anyone.

These are my feeble guesses. B)

#1 - St. Louis Blues (thanks to the hint) don't know the musicians involved, so I'll throw Earl Hines out as one for a wild guess.

#2 - No clue

#3 - Something from the 1970s, no ideas though.

#4 - The violin threw me off, I was prepared to say that was Steve Kuhn on piano.

#5 - Sounds like the voice from the cartoon character "Grape Ape". Not down with this one.

#6 - No good guess. I hear traces of Monk and Silver.

#7 - Real, real short, don't know the tune, but I liked it.

#8 - Last night while haveing a few drinks I wrote down Johnny Hartman, but this morning I have no idea. :huh:

#9 - Sounds like something I would hear while on a trip through the northeast part of Arizona. This sounds real Native American to me.

#10 - Not enough to work with here.

#11 - A whole bunch of stuff to work with here! It's a fun tune for sure, no idea what it is. (I obviosuly need more to work with. ;) )

#12 - Very sweet guitar (s)? The strings were a nice touch, real relaxing. John Pisano and???

#13 - D'oh! Carmen McRae?

#14 - Another fun one here.

#15 - Some real fine solo piano. The tune was real nice, I wish I could figure this one out.

Bonus Disc! :tup:party: B)

#1 - Groove Juice Special?

#2 - The tune is for sure "Open The Door Richard" :P Is this the Basie version?

#3 - Now's the Time, no? I say yes. Bird is the word.

#4 - Webster on tenor?

#5 - Shazam! The Hucklebuck...

#6 - Oh man, what a great piece of work.

#8 - Cadillac Boogie?

#10- This is C Jam Blues, and that must be Duke, although it almost sounds like Basie.

#18 -Don't know the tune, but it's got to be Slim Gaillard.

#22 - Teddy Wilson on piano?

#23 - The beat really grabs you.

#4 - Webster on tenor?

4.  This seems to be halfway between Lester Young's style and Coleman Hawkins'.  I think Hawk is likelier.

Randy:

I may be wrong, but I can´t see any resemblance of Pres on this track. And the "environment" and groove of it doesn´t make Bean a very likely choice, though IMHO there are some Hawk-ish licks here. 

You and I must agree here, Catesta... to Webster through Hawk! B)

Edited by EKE BBB

Ray, I need to have a beer with you someday. A man that puts together a bonus disc with 25 fun filled tracks deserves to have a beer bought for him. :tup

Well, Chris, sorry to break it to you (or Weizen for that matter), but I have to say that I've never developed a fondness for the brewed hops and barley. Can't stand the stuff actually. In fact, I think it was the utter ostracism that that caused me in college that turned me into the lonely jazz fan that I am.

Margaritas on the other hand... :wub::g;)

Organissimo Blindfold Test#11: Compiled By RDK

1. Summertime (almost?)? Les McCann maybe? Great introduction with the drums and the bowed bass.

2. Reggae was unexpected--I don't know any jazzers who've tackled Jamaican rhythms, so I don't have a guess. Not bad.

3. I have and love this one.

4. Stepphane Grappelli?

5. I have this one and can't place it, but I'm not going to agonize over it like I did during Rockefeller Center's test.

6. Horace Silver? I've heard this one before, I think.

7. Wayne Shorter? Awesome track.

8. RDK, this track is just incredible. The vocals give me chills. No clue.

9. Yusef Lateef has done some stuff that sounds like this--oh wait, what the hell? No idea. Sort of corny to me, I don't dig this one much.

10. Who put tweek in this drummer's coffee? Skills galore. Jack DeJohnette?

11. ZANY! Not my bag.

12. SENSITIVE! Yawns.

13. I like this. The female vocalist has a warm voice, makes me feel good. Is this one of those gals from the Mosaic catalog (Peggy Lee or Anita O'Day or June Christy)?

14. Fun, but not great. No guess.

15. Nice, but I don't know.

16. Gary Bartz? Pharoah Sanders?

Bonus Disc

1. The lyric "Ain't got time to shake your hand!" has been stuck in my head for days! Great stuff!

2. Reminds me of Cheech & Chong--

"Hey man it's Dave, I got the stuff! Open the door!"

"Who?"

"Dave!"

"Dave's not here!"

Cool song!

3. Predates my knowledge. However, if I'm not mistaken, this is swinging like crazy.

4. Sounds like rock and roll. Wait, I know this song. I know I've heard it.

5. Suggestive lyrics, I love it! This is like the first version of the Humpty Dance.

6. Raw and funky! The bonus disc doesn't quit!

7. Toe's still tappin', "I surrender I surrender!"

8. Cadillac Boogie Woogie!--sounds like rap.

9. Damn, this is TOO hot. Schmokin'. Also a rap of sorts, with boxing as the theme.

10. Cool how the crowd is so into it. Must have been a fun show.

11. Not bad. Not overwhelming. A nice little work out.

12. Same comments as 11

13. "You ain't got no money, ain't got no use for you!" The more things change, the more they stay the same.

14. Whoa! This is strange. Very unique sound. I really like it.

15. This was sampled by Prince Paul, if I recall. Great little jingle--easy to see why rappers related to this.

16. Bluesy goodness. Reminds me of Ray Charles, but I don't think it is Ray Charles.

17. Is this the same group as Track 1?

18. Are they vocalizing through their instruments? Like listening to insects communicate! I love it.

19. Aw sheeit, now we're really getting down. What a voice! Great segway from the previous track.

20. RDK, these vocal tracks are excellent!

21. Wild, they just keep coming! Insects? Ants in BVDs? Drinking DDT at the bar? Frigging insanity!

22. Same comments as 11.

23. Something infectious here, but sort of looney like circus music.

24. Have and love this one.

25. The announcer was so excited you can't make out the name he says. Like Track 4, reminds me of the first rock and roll.

Thanks again RDK for this collection of "solid, groovy" tunes. Hugely enjoyable.

:tup :tup :tup :tup

Now to read the responses!

Ahhhh.... I finally have (I think) some time to sit down and go through Disc 2. I sampled it yesterday and got too carried away grooving to this to even think about analyzing it. B) One thing did occur to me, though, in terms of analysis. Despite spending several years after high school (and the eclectic mix of things I listened to then as a result of peer influences) listening to R&B and even moreso, blues, I never really explored and studied R&B as extensively as I could/should have before getting into jazz. Once I got into jazz, I spent a lot less time listening to blues, and almost completely forgot about classic R&B. I've been regretting it for years, but somehow I never manage to find the time and the re$ource$ to get into it. Hearing bits and pieces of it from time to time is probably as good or better, though. The element of surprise. B)

1. Hit That Jive, Jack. Slim Gaillard? What a fantastic sound on this. I could listen to that guitar all day! I gotta get me more of this shit.

2. Open The Door, Richard. Not sure I've ever heard this version... couldn't tell you who.

3. Now's The Time. A VERY well known alto saxophonist and his band of merry men.

4. The Hucklebuck ? (instrumental). Don't know who.

5. The Hucklebuck! :D Quintessential R&B sound. Don't know who.

6. ? Nice down home vamp. Sounds familiar, but...?

7. Reminds me of Louis Jordan, but...? GREAT (unfamiliar) tune.

8. Cadillac Boogie. Don't know who.

9. Hmm... something a bit more modern... ? Sonny could lick all them cats...?

10. C Jam Blues... live... and somebody's clownin. :)

11. Lady Be Good (Boogie).

12. Piano boogie...?

13. You ain't got no money, ain't got no use for you... another one with a GREAT sound. Somebody was using some pretty decent equipment to record this "chick". :)

14. Wow, cool. Sounds old and modern at the same time. You can almost hear a story unfolding on this, Anyway, I'm a dumbass in this dept., I'm afraid.

15. Moody's Mood For Love... not King Pleasure, is it? "Ernie Freeman you can come on in..." there's a good clue... which went RIGHT over my head. B)

16. Trouble In Mind. Don't know who... don't really care for his sound.

17. Slim Gaillard again? Flat Foot Floogie

18. Undecided. Slam Stewart? and... ? I should know this

19. Sounds to me like Howlin' Wolf. I never really warmed up to Wolf.

20. ANOTHER on with a great classic R&B vibe. "I'm looped"? Never heard this before in my life, which tells me (and you) that I've lived too sheltered an existence! :rolleyes:

21. See # 20. :rolleyes: This one's almost TOO stupid, though. :P:g Hmmm... did I hear a reference to "Big Jay" (McNeely) in there?

22. Okay, a piano feature... still bluesy, but a little more toward the jazzy side. Interesting to hear this juxtaposed with the straight R&B material.

23. ....? No ideas on this one. A relatively dull romp, IMO.

24. I think I hate this one. Tom Waits? An aging Fozzie Bear? Does nothing for me. I guess the lyrics would be sorta funny, if not for having to listen to that voice...

25. Well, I DISTINCTLY heard somebody say "Big Jay McNeely" that time! Too bad... I don't dig Big Jay McNeely at all. :g

A BIG thank you, Mr. Ray! I really enjoyed this disc.

23. ....? No ideas on this one. A relatively dull romp, IMO.

I think *a lot* of people are gonna be surprised who this is. It'll make sense later, I think, but he's not what one might expect on this disc - and yet I think it fits right in... ;)