Blindfold Test #11

RDK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Mike Weil send the BFT police after me here goes for Disc One:

16. This is the best song of the disc; everybody is in sync and the sax is really stunning. He's really conveying a unique message. I don't know who he is but he's gifted. I'd buy this.

1. St. Louis Blues but to me the percussion ruins it. They're trying to do much around a fairly good pianist.

2. This would be another buy for me. No idea who the horns are but I get a sense that this song has roots in the Caribbean.

3. cool song. Made me laugh. No idea who but jazz does wash those troubles away.

4. No idea. Not crazy about the violin.

6. Earl Hines maybe. I'm a sucker for solo piano.

9. Don't get this or know this. Assume it's African or African based. Reminds me at times of a child's song. Raffi almost comes to mind.

10. Again too much percussion.

11. Don't know who but a good arrangement of a Broadway song.

12. This was great. Really restrained guitar just sets a pattern, a tone.

14. I don't who these guys are but this was fabulous. Playing over and under the theme. Might buy this. Puts you in a dance mood.

I'll try to post about Disc 2 later.

Thanks again Ray.

I just peeked at some of the other answers and some of the other conversation about Disc 2, esp. track 3. That is without a doubt Bird and there is no question that is Now's the Time, originally on Savoy. That's Diz on piano, sitting in for Sadik Hakim (Argonne Thornton) and Miles on tp, Curly Russell and Max. If I didn't know that one, I should be shot. Been working on that one at home.

..some add on thoughts on disc 1 that I left out initially:

ad #2... I don't think this works for me... I only have one disc (Monty Alexander) where some Reggae and Jazz were combined...

ad #4.. up to the violine...I would have gone for some Bill Evans like mood but then.. no clue

ad #5 mhhhh not my taste....

ad #6 Garner maybe (the tune sounds very familiar but I cannot name it....)

ad #8 Baltimore orioles (haven't we had this in a BT earlier ....)..no clue who sings

ad #10 drumming B) , all I can say

ad #11 I got plenty of nothing.. If that would be Vint BT .. my guess would be a John Zorns filmmusic piece, sounds like recorded for Disney <_< .. but so..

ad #12 sound like movie too....ended in some Pat Metheny/Lyle mays like sound field... I have to admit: I like it :wub:

ad #13 no clue... singing is not so much mine

ad #14 mhhhh interesting mix sound like a Dixie-Boogie mix... no clue Ray

ad #15 ....?

ad #16 Bartz maybe the '73 recording ?

and now I'll insert disk 2.. thanks so far Ray

cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT... and disc 2 starts great :g

Edited by tjobbe

ad #11 I got plenty of nothing.. If that would be Vint BT .. my guess would be a John Zorns filmmusic piece, sounds like recorded for Disney <_< .. but so..

:lol:

Well this track is knocking me out!!! Thjanks for including this.

It's very reminiscent of some of that big-band trash Bjork was doing a while back (she obviosly listened hard to this), maybe if she was only fronting some gig with Michael Moore (not the fat one), so I'm narrowing my sites to seas much colder that the Rhine. RDK, would we even have a clue as to who this might be??? Is this some weird Capitol session that we will all be surprised about??

The charts are a bit 'straighter' than the usual tulip dibbling variety and I'm feeling it's the pianist's date or a whole collaborative?

and... What's up w/ the cut at the end???

ad #11 I got plenty of nothing.. If that would be Vint BT .. my guess would be a John Zorns filmmusic piece, sounds like recorded for Disney  <_< .. but so..

:lol:

Well this track is knocking me out!!! Thjanks for including this.

It's very reminiscent of some of that big-band trash Bjork was doing a while back (she obviosly listened hard to this), maybe if she was only fronting some gig with Michael Moore (not the fat one), so I'm narrowing my sites to seas much colder that the Rhine. RDK, would we even have a clue as to who this might be??? Is this some weird Capitol session that we will all be surprised about??

The charts are a bit 'straighter' than the usual tulip dibbling variety and I'm feeling it's the pianist's date or a whole collaborative?

Flat Earth Society mayhap?

#11 I got plenty of nothing

Flat Earth Society mayhap?

Giddy Yapp~! freeking John!!! listen to those snips on this sight under the "Armstrong Mutations"

oh man where the heck did you come up w/ that ??? .... and RDK where did you come up w/ this!!!??? now it looks as if I'll need to go the the land of "Stella, Mussells and Cocoa Butter that's better" to grab this thing!!!!

Hit me up doc!!!

... and the singer's a Pole!!

here's the AMG link to droole.

and the direct web link: FES.

"I already enjoyed mutating into the first-man-on-the-moon and the first American bicylcle hero, but this beats it all!  It's all excitement n hell, all devils are delighted and give me from now on a special treatment" - Peter V...
...coincidentally just last nite while reading a bedtime story out of some jazz book (it always bores them to sleep) my daughter asked if "Louis Armstrong was that guy who went to the moon?" Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Still think' about track # 6: If this is "You are too beautiful", it's probably not John Lewis, as he didn't record that in a trio context, or at leats I couldn't find it. None of the trio records of his I checked fit this track.

But how about this - I don't have the record at hand at the time to compare.

I've listened to disc 2 a few more times and am still loving it! I don't have much music like this in my collection so I am glad you decided to go with the Bonus disc. Other than the Bird track and Tom Waits I still have no clue who any of these musicians are.

Oh yeah, I don't think I posted my guess on the last track of disc one:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Amtfm96bodep7

Great playing, and my first exposure to his work. The vocals gave it away right off the bat.

so, is it "too beautiful"? there have been so many different guesses on the title here that I am not at all sure about my own guess anymore.

After comparing other versions, I'd say it is that song.

It's not Lewis, judging from the playing style, and especially not Connie Kay, whose ride cymbal sound I recognize from the farthest corner in our house, i.e. the bathroom ...

I don't have that Rowles record any more. There is an early Abdullah Ibrahim, but that is a solo. No Mose Allison version, as someone suggested.

I've listened to disc 2 a few more times and am still loving it! I don't have much music like this in my collection so I am glad you decided to go with the Bonus disc. Other than the Bird track and Tom Waits I still have no clue who any of these musicians are.

I enjoy it.. but as JohnB says: no clue who the rest is

Cheers, Tjobbe

Mike and couw,

I don't know yet who is playing on Disc 1, track 6, but I'm afraid you're leading yourselves astray if you think the song is "You Are Too Beautiful". I'm close to being certain that the song is "You Belong To Me". Unless there is more than one song with the title of "You Are Too Beautiful", I'm not sure why you are still entertaining that as a possibility (unless Ray put a different recording on your discs? :unsure: ). Trust me on this one. B)

It was me who suggested Mose Allison for You Belong to Me but that came from looking it up - he did record that song; [Plays for Lovers], [Ramblin' with Mose Allison].

Pulling weeds out of the garden this morning - no significance in that - I couldn't get that guy singing about the drinking piano out of my head. Kept going round and round. Is there an antidote? Still lots of weeds left too. :angry:

Without reading anything posted here.

I have just started listening to disc 1. Got them today.

They might have arrived a couple of days ago, my girlfriend having been ill, I stayed over at her place a few days.

I enjoy what I have heard so far (4 tracks), and look forward to listening to the two discs over the weekend.

Thanks a lot, Ray!

I am not sure I will post a track-by-track impressions-write-up later, as the discussion has been underway for pretty long time now... We'll see.

ubu

unless Ray put a different recording on your discs?  :unsure:

Oh MAN! That would have been wicked FUN!

(I wish I had thought of that...) :g

sheeee-it, I can see it coming man. Thanks a bunch. People fighting and pulling on each others hair an' all that.... :lol: