Blindfold Test #11

RDK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was me who suggested Mose Allison for You Belong to Me but that came from looking it up - he did record that song; [Plays for Lovers], [Ramblin' with Mose Allison].

Pulling weeds out of the garden this morning - no significance in that - I couldn't get that guy singing about the drinking piano out of my head. Kept going round and round. Is there an antidote? Still lots of weeds left too. :angry:

The antidote is to keep hummin' "You belong to me"! :D I think you're right with the Mose suggestion, BTW. I tried some googling too, and couldn't believe how few jazz versions there are of that tune! I don't go back quite that far, but I think it was a pretty big hit back in the 40's/50's... for Jo Stafford as well as Patty Page, I believe (maybe one of the board's really old farts will fill us in. ;)). I'm loving this Mose Allison version more each time I spin it. There's an artist I've not only neglected, but consciously, and for too long. I've always "liked" what I've heard from him (usually the vocal stuff), but somehow have never been motivated to purchase his recordings. This experience will change that.

And since it's Ray's fault, I'm going to ask him to chip in 10% on every Mose Allison CD I buy. :lol:

After comparing other versions, I'd say it is that song.

The piano player might sound like Rowles, in fact, but the song is not You Are Too Beautiful, in my opinion (I've just tried a couple of different versions, and it looks like a different piece).

Luca

Thanks for the mail Ray! I have really enjoyed this blindfold test so far. Recieved on Monday.

I will have to post my blindfold comments at a later date, but I wanted to say that disc two reminded me that there is a radio program here in Providence every Friday morning that plays jump and the sorts of music that you have included here.

A couple of tracks on disc one that I will most likely end up seeking out albums for!

Good stuff.

The piano player might sound like Rowles, in fact, but the song is not You Are Too Beautiful, in my opinion (I've just tried a couple of different versions, and it looks like a different piece).

Luca

You gotta love it- a person who doesn't peek at the discussion before he states his case! :tup

;)

Edited by Jim R

unless Ray put a different recording on your discs?  :unsure:

Oh MAN! That would have been wicked FUN!

(I wish I had thought of that...) :g

sheeee-it, I can see it coming man. Thanks a bunch. People fighting and pulling on each others hair an' all that.... :lol:

I think of using alternate takes on different discs .....

Luca

You gotta love it- a person who doesn't peek at the discussion before he states his case! :tup

;)

My personal Blindfold Test rule # 3:

I always get lost in the discussion of one specific track.

I'll say no more. Too little time. Ah, these damn liberties those pianist take! :w

Here are my guesses for Disc 1. Haven't even peeked at this thread yet!

This is a really interesting blindfold. I'll be getting to the bonus disk promptly!

BFT 11 guesses

1. St. Louis Blues, as whoever it is helpfully announces before starting. Piano, bass, drums--tympani? Tradition-steeped but eccentric. I'll guess Sun Ra.

2. Simple Carribean rhythm, broad humor, lyrical enough but a bit tongue-in-cheek. I'll guess Lester Bowie.

3. Gil Scott-Heron.

4. Very nice. I thought of Kenny Barron and Regina Carter, but to my knowledge they only recorded a duo together, and the piano doesn't sound like Barron to me. I thought of Steve Kuhn, but I don't think he has recorded a quartet with violin. So I don't have a clue, really. Beautiful playing all around.

5. "More Money Jungle," I guess. No idea who it is. Not my cup of tea. Sounds like television theme music.

6. Very elegant piano trio. Could be anytime from the mid-40's through the mid-60's. I love the pianist's pearly touch and graceful lines. Bass and drums are stately and dignified. I'll be glad to know who it is.

7. I love this one, too. The piano does some discreet Jarrettesque squeaking at one point, and the bass has that Hadenesque fatness, but I don't think it's them. No idea. A lovely piece. Could be stand-alone or could be part of a suite or something.

8. "Baltimore Oriole" - great song! Sheila Jordan sings it often. Don't know the singer. Could that be Oscar Brown, Jr? He's another favorite of Sheila's and I have yet to hear him sing--maybe she learned it from him. Total speculation.

9. "Witchi Tai To" by Jim Pepper. Beautiful song.

10. No idea. The drum solo is athletic but doesn't do it for me. Not my favorite guitar sound, either. Chico Hamilton? Another total guess.

11. "Plenty of Nothin'." Pleasant and festive, well done. Doesn't inspire me too much, though. I could have done without the vocals, which sounds to me like a French-speaker who worked hard at singing in English.

12. Pat Metheny on acoustic guitar (or maybe his custom mutant guitar). Don't know the song. This test seems to have two main currents, one lyrical and stately, the other cheerful and vigorous (with Witchi Tai To somewhere in the middle). So far I like this first current best.

13. Shirley Horn. I love Shirley but this song is kind of lightweight, IMHO.

14. A comfortable groove, nothing too deep but very agreeable. Goes on a bit long, though. I like the bass guitar. No clue.

15. Soulful and brief. No idea.

16. Gary Bartz and the NTU Troop, early 70's. Of course, his identifying three-quarters of the band serves as a small clue. ;-) Great stuff, really sums up those times, or at least one important aspect of it. Bartz rules!

Well, I've listened to Disc 2 and it's a honey of a disc and I don't have time now to post all my impression but I can see Ray really likes this artist. The phrase "Open the Door Richard" is a dead give away.

You're very right, Brad, about me digging that artist, but "Open the Door, Richard" is not one of his tracks. There are many versions of that tune/comedy routine, but the one on the BFT comes from another band with more genuine jazz creds... ;)

I had been planning to post answers later today or tomorrow, but because the board was down all weekend I think I'll wait a few more days. I also know a few people have yet to recieve (or have only just received) their discs...

not to take Mike's tabulating job away but I was curious as to what has been ID-ed thus far for Disc 1...

-looks like artist/cut positives on : 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, 14, 16

-and just the song titles on : 6(?), 9, 10

-unknown : 4, 7, 12, 15

any corrections? Tracks 4 and 15 are most intriguing...

Hey Precious-Metal-Limbed-Man,

I was just now compiling the exact same thing...

Actually, the only one that hasn't been guessed correctly *at all* is number 4.

I believe that someone did mention the artist performing number 15, but not with any conviction - at least it sounded like a wild guess.

Number 6 has pretty much been figured out as well, though I won't confirm anything just yet. ;)

I'm really quite surprised that no one has pinned down tracks 7 and 12 definitively. I thought those would be easy ones. Actually, the correct artists have been mentioned by several people (and even the title of 12, IIRC). I'll consider some "wiggle room" with these in case anyone wants to sleuth a bit more. But the answers to these two are here in the discussion... :g

The Bonus Disc was mostly put together for fun, but for anyone wanting a few hints...

Tracks 6 and 19 feature the same very unique musician, though the leaders are different...

Tracks 7 and 20 have an indirect artist connection (i.e., the same artist had hit versions of both, though the version of 20 included here is by a different guy).

Though the title of track 10 is obvious, I don't think anyone has yet guessed the piano player. Let me just say that he's represented on another track here as well...

I'm betting that most of you have at least something by the leader of track 23 in your collections. He's a jazz big shot, folks, though he doesn't always sound as, uh, earthy as this...

If that's the case Ray, isn't it just about time to go ahead and reveal?

Well, as I said, with the board down for the weekend...

Besides, I have to finish typing up my comments... ;)

How 'bout tomorrow?

not to take Mike's tabulating job away but I was curious as to what has been ID-ed thus far for Disc 1...

-looks like artist/cut positives on : 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, 14, 16

-and just the song titles on : 6(?), 9, 10

-unknown : 4, 7, 12, 15

any corrections? Tracks 4 and 15 are most intriguing...

for number nine look 3 posts up of your own to find Tom Storer with the correct answer

(or did I miss something?)

Well, I've listened to Disc 2 and it's a honey of a disc and I don't have time now to post all my impression but I can see Ray really likes  this artist.  The phrase "Open the Door Richard" is a dead give away.

You're very right, Brad, about me digging that artist, but "Open the Door, Richard" is not one of his tracks. There are many versions of that tune/comedy routine, but the one on the BFT comes from another band with more genuine jazz creds... ;)

Then I'd say it's this or this musician's band ...

Yes that is "Witchi Tai To" but is that Jim Pepper's version???

Never liked that song...right up there with that yodeling on Pharoah's "The Creator Has A Master Plan".

Yes, that is Pepper's version.

btw, "Creator" is one of my favorite Pharoah Sanders tracks! :g