Blindfold Test #11

RDK

Well, I've listened to Disc 2 and it's a honey of a disc and I don't have time now to post all my impression but I can see Ray really likes  this artist.  The phrase "Open the Door Richard" is a dead give away.

You're very right, Brad, about me digging that artist, but "Open the Door, Richard" is not one of his tracks. There are many versions of that tune/comedy routine, but the one on the BFT comes from another band with more genuine jazz creds... ;)

Then I'd say it's this or this musician's band ...

Bzzzzzt... I'm sorry, that is incorrect! Try again... B)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is "Witchi Tai To" but is that Jim Pepper's version??? 

Never liked that song...right up there with that yodeling on Pharoah's "The Creator Has A Master Plan".

Yes, that is Pepper's version.

btw, "Creator" is one of my favorite Pharoah Sanders tracks! :g

Urp! Guess I had a moment of FTS,PBR!, NMCOT, BYTM. :g

uohooourduuulayoooorduulooooyyouurrlourdoooleeeah...peace and happiness for everyman.

Well, I've listened to Disc 2 and it's a honey of a disc and I don't have time now to post all my impression but I can see Ray really likes  this artist.  The phrase "Open the Door Richard" is a dead give away.

You're very right, Brad, about me digging that artist, but "Open the Door, Richard" is not one of his tracks. There are many versions of that tune/comedy routine, but the one on the BFT comes from another band with more genuine jazz creds... ;)

Then I'd say it's this or this musician's band ...

Mike, I will quote my previous post. Pretty sure!

EKE BBB Posted: May 18 2004, 10:40 AM 

And now, DISC TWO...

2.- "Open the door, Richard" (Fletcher-Mason-McVea-Howell). The guy playing piano has his centenary this year (and 20 years after his death, man!). RCA/Victor stuff. Vocals H"S"E, BJ and ensemble. Recorded January 3, 1947. Anything more?

Who has his centenary this year? His piano punctuations are highly recognizable.

Sweets Edison has a pretty incisive voice, man! The other "talker" is Bill Johnson.

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! B)

I'm really quite surprised that no one has pinned down tracks 7 and 12 definitively.  I thought those would be easy ones. 

Re #7, I think that the song is Charlie Haden's "Silence", and the band is Keith Jarrett's quartet w/ Redman, Haden and Motian.

THIS

Luca

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!  B)

Ain't that the truth!

Wish BMG/RCA would release that period of his work. Otherwise we'll have no choice but to buy this...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A46n20r5ai489

(And no, I don't own that box, but I've been sorely tempted.)

I´m guilty. :(

BTW: we have to do something... and we´re doin´. ^_^

Just look at this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9957

15 of us are currently working on this.

ok, time for me to share my jazz ignorance :huh:

Disc I:

1) normally i wouldn't like this one but surprisingly i did. the starting & ending are weird but the middle section is so nice. maybe because i wasn't expecting a straight-ahead jazz performance after listening the beginning but i've enjoyed a lot the bass player and his performance. a classic tune played on a different atmosphere i think.

2) i'm feeling that i´m on Kingston streets. not bad but just forgettable for me.

3) this is TOO GOOD!!!!!! loved it since the first audition. i´m very anxious to know the answer about this one. i loved the groove and the chorus. i gotta have this!!

4) this reminds me Jacques Loussier but i know it´s not him because of the violin. very beautiful song. my father will love this one.

5) not my cup of tea specially the vocals

6) i know the song but dunno who is playing. very conventional, nicely played.

7) did nothing for me. i´ve skipped it very quickly

8) what an incredible voice! probably is the father of a bass player like the Pastorious one :g very good this one

9) this reminds me my Ivory Coast time. not for me

10) didn't liked this one. the drums solo is not that inventive. when the guitar player plays this known melody it´s better.

11) skipped very fast

12) this reminds me Michael Hedges on Windham Hill Records.

13) i´m gonna hate myself not identifying this voice....gosh...but it´s good!!

14) did nothing for me

15) nice solo and great song of course!

16) the guy sings so bad....the song is fine but maybe too long...

so far i know that Ray is very eclectic!

Disc II

1&2) not my cup of tea

3) i have this one as far as i remember

4,5 & 6) not for me

7) i remember The Manhattan Transfer doing this!!

8) did nothing for me

9) this one sounds interesting. liked this one!

10) yeah!!

11&12) i´m not an enthousiastic for this kind of jazz but i do respect

13) i´m clapping my hands :)

14) .....

15) this song is so great. Benson doing this stills my favorite one. i´ll give my respect ever to James Moody for this one.

16) i love this song from Ellington but not that performance

17) Ray is really having fun with Disc 2. i can imagine himself dancing around the floor :g

18) interesting

19) i can imagine the reaction of some people of this board listening to Disc II.... :D

20-25) i gave up.....

Ray, thanks for your effort! i´ll probably won't be listening to this particular BFT a lot but i still appreciate your hard work. i'm sure you had a blast doing Disc II!

Marcus

... and #15, I think, is track number 4 from

THIS

Luca

Ding ding ding! Eloe Omoe, come on down! You've just won a lifetime's supply of Rice-a-Roni!

:tup;)

DRAT! I was hoping it was me who had the wild guess! And I used to have this disc, too! Shows you how much I actually listened to it!

it HAD to happen, us missing Mingus on the tingle-ing ivories... <_<

Perhaps you need a shelf "Items likely to be missed in an Organissimo Blindfold Test" ... ;)

:g

Anyone cares to resume what´s been identified from Disc 2? I´m not looking at anybody... :w

Mike, I will quote my previous post. Pretty sure!

And now, DISC TWO...

2.- "Open the door, Richard" (Fletcher-Mason-McVea-Howell). The guy playing piano has his centenary this year (and 20 years after his death, man!). RCA/Victor stuff. Vocals H"S"E, BJ and ensemble. Recorded January 3, 1947. Anything more?

Who has his centenary this year? His piano punctuations are highly recognizable.

Sweets Edison has a pretty incisive voice, man! The other "talker" is Bill Johnson.

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! B)

-_- I have that one - but have to admit the box is not part of my daily spinning routines.

There were so many versions ....

Before it's too late - i.e. the asnswers are posted - my guesses for the bonus disc. I have a lot of this stuff, but very little time right now this week, so I'll just write it down right here with no links - after a fast runthrough and short A/B comparisons with some items from my collection whenever I identified artists.

1 - Slim & Bam - Slim Gaillard and Bam Brown, Opera In Vout

This is the four part version reissued on some Verve or MGM LP and CD. Smart move to spread this over the disc, two other parts are tracks 10 and 17.

I have all of Slim Gaillard's records .... there is an unofficial live version on LP that's even better! I wish there was a video of one of these concerts, not just rthe Slim & Slam participation on Hollywood movies like Hellzapoppin'.

2 - Has been guessed ... Basie, Open The Door Richard

3 - Bird, Now's the time on Savoy

4 - ?

5 - ?

6 - ? I really dig this guitar! Will buy this!

7 - I'se a muggin'. Voice reminds of Louis Jordan, but that ain't him.

8 - Jimmy Liggins, Cadillac Boogie

his was the only band I know who recorded a song "Drunk" and sounded like they really were drunk in the studio!

9 - ?

Had to stop here. post, close and re-open the browser - had hit some wrong button and everything looked weird ...

10 - see track # 1

11 - Lady Be Good, no idea who

12 - more boogie piano

13 - great one!!! another must buy for me

14 - Raymond Scott, Reckless Night On Board An Ocean Liner (Columbia, 1937)

now this ain't jazz in a strict sense, one might say, but it swings and any fan of small group swing will miss something!

15 - King Pleasure, Moody's Mood For love, but the 1956 Aladdin version!

16 - no idea

17 - see track # 1

18 - Major Holley & Slam Stewart playing/bowing/singing/humming Undecided, from that beautuiful 1991 Delos CD "Shut Yo' Mouth" (I'm glad they didn't!!!)

I have all of their stuff - great good-spirited music

19 - No idea, but will get me this

20 - dtto.

21 - Big Jay McNeely, Insect Ball - the most creepy of all R&B hits! You thinkin' of the Cicada invasion?

22 - Smooth Sailing, Dodo Marmarosa & Lucky Thompson, Red Callender & Jackie Mills, recorded September 13, 1946 for the down beat label in California.

Yours truly, your Lucky discographer...

23 - I think I have heard this one but can't pin it down ...

24 - Tom Waits - the piano has been drinking only because Tom poured some surplus liquor inside!

25 - Again, Mr. Big Jay McNeely

I enjoyed this disc like mad and still do - my wife requested I spin at her 50th birthday party in 2006! I had a time when I realy dug deep into this stuff but haven't been listening to much of this as most of it is on LP, but this has got to change! Thank you so much for that jump'n'jive reactivation!

BTW - is that the theme of the bonus disc - the relationship of jazz and blues, r&b and jive?

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edited by mikeweil

15 - King Pleasure, Moody's Mood For love, but the 1956 Aladdin version!

And now, DISC TWO.

15.- It´s a pleasure to hear the king, with little Annie. Love this vocalese version of "Moody´s mood for love" (aka "I´m in the mood for love"). Included here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4z9yxd0b8oly

So, it´s not the King Pleasure´s Prestige session I linked... :wacko: I´ve been too lazy to check my CD. But it´s still Annie Ross as I said, isn´t she? :blink:

Michael Cuscuna couldn't identify this singer when he prepared the Blue Note CD reissue of King Pleasure's sides for United Artist, Aladdin, and Score.

Does not sound like Annie to me, either, and she sure would have insisted her name is mentioned! Probably some Hollywood studio singer doing a fine job. This solo was written out, anyway.

BTW it was Blossom Dearie singing on the 1952 Prestige recording, not Annie Ross!!! It was just Prestige throwing together their recordings for an LP issue of the 78's.

AFAIK, Ross and Pleasure never recorded together.

Edited by mikeweil

I stand corrected, mike.

I didn´t even pull that Prestige reissue out of my shelves (BTW, one of my favorite vocalese discs). I remembered it, recognized the song and King Pleasure, and inmediately associated the female voice with Annie Ross, without any foundation. :mellow:

Thank goodness there are always a picky and knowledgeable poster to put me in my place.... :w

;)