Blindfold Test #11

RDK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW - is that the theme of the bonus disc - the relationship of jazz and blues, r&b and jive?

That's pretty much it, Mike. I love that great big melting pot of late 1940's music, when jazz mixed with blues and R&B and swing, fucked like mad, and gave birth to that bastard child we like to call Rock and Roll.*

*Yeah, I know, it sounds like I grabbed them from the back of a book jacket, but I made it up just now. Really... ;)

1 - Slim & Bam - Slim Gaillard and Bam Brown, Opera In Vout

This is the four part version reissued on some Verve or MGM LP and CD. Smart move to spread this over the disc, two other parts are tracks 10 and 17.

Ah, you're the first one who caught this! :tup

To give credit, Sidewinder suggested Mingus, but it was unclear if he was referring to track 14 or 15...

Yes, RDK, it was the track 15 I had in mind but I wasn't sure of the exact title. The last time I listened to this one was years ago so the old grey matter must have registered something. I'm just too damn lazy to pick out the Impulse twofer from the LP rack.. ^_^

Edited by sidewinder

1 - Slim & Bam - Slim Gaillard and Bam Brown, Opera In Vout

This is the four part version reissued on some Verve or MGM LP and CD. Smart move to spread this over the disc, two other parts are tracks 10 and 17.

Ah, you're the first one who caught this! :tup

I think I posted that Slim was on both 1 and 17, but 10 threw me... I had forgotten that he played piano! Not to mention vibraphone and tenor sax!! :blink:

Well, I certainly cheated a bit with that long Slim track. Each section starts with a running joke of him drunkenly introducing his "Groove Juice Special," as if he's forgotten that he already announced the other movements with the same exact title. After I decided to split the tracks, I kept the "joke intro" to start each section - but it seemed too obvious in the context of the BFT so I edited out Slim's intro to the "C-Jam Blues" section. I prefered it that way, plus it made it not so obvious who was playing... ;)

Ok, I just listened to this, so I'm very very late. I'm gonna hit the answers thread after this post.

I liked the second track on disc 1, the reggae thing, just not the noise out of the horn player.

I haven't found my way to appreciating male vocals, so much of these discs doesn't work for me. I've only recently started listening to female singers, so maybe I'll work my way towards this.

And I recognised and love the Ellington.