Confession Corner

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weezer. Good, loud, crunchy, fun, powerpop at its finest. Saw them live with my teenage daughter a couple years ago and hadn't had that much fun since KISS put the makeup back on. My son and I crank it up for maximum driving pleasure!

Also, I am a HUGE Monkees fan, so much so that when Davy Jones came to town a couple weeks ago, I actually stood in line to get his autograph on my DVD of Head. Shook his hand, too! (Omigawd, I'll never wash that hand again! AIEEEEEEEE!!!) :P Was on cloud nine for the rest of the day!

Edited by Big Al

Everyone has the wrong impression of Bob James, George Benson, Grover Washington et al. Their early sides for the CTI and other labels groove hard. Maybe, not the Blue Note sound, but hardly the crap that most people associate these names with. In fact, most of it is extremely greeeazzzy....

I caught up on the CTI sound late. I can't do most of it but Bob James "Nautilus" and "Mardi Gras" are amazing.

Chic

What's to apologize for? Those cats sould PLAY!

I know that! Yet somehow this music sounds pretty corny and very much of its time, today (and let me add I'm too young to have been around then, so there's no nostalgia involved).

ubu

I loved them as a kid, and love them now. "Good Times" is one of the most important songs in the development in rap music. Can't tell you how often as a teenager I heard djs scratching off the instrumental break on the long version and then me trying to do the same at home. Lets not forget that "Good Times" was used for the ground breaking "Rapper's Delight" as well as "Bounce, Rock, Skate Roll".

Chic was the bomb!

The thing about Chic was that the top of their music was disco, but their bottom was often anything but. Listen to Bernard Edwards' bass lines and how they break up the beat rather than lay it down, and listen to how Niles Rogers' guitar parts are more Jimmy Nolan than Studio 54. Add the totally in the pocket drumming of Tony Thompson, and you had a trio that could lay down a foundation that could capture minds and asses alike.

Everyone has the wrong impression of Bob James, George Benson, Grover Washington et al. Their early sides for the CTI and other labels groove hard. Maybe, not the Blue Note sound, but hardly the crap that most people associate these names with. In fact, most of it is extremely greeeazzzy....

You got THAT right! :tup

True. That's how I first started listen to Benson and Washington JR from all those old CTI recordings.