Ianci Körössy (the man with many names)

couw

In the continuing series: Stuff From The East That couw Buys At The Vinyl Shoppe, we are proud to present: Ianci Körössy.

ianci.jpg

BTW: This is not the start of the "stupid music"-thread vol. 2

Unlike last time when I posted some sounds from the East, I know exactly what to think of this. Mr Körössy is a brilliant piano player from Cluj Napoka, Rumania. He was not allowed to play his jazz music in his own country, so in the 60s he moved to Germany and later on to the USA. He returned home some years ago and continues to play.

There is a short bio here; google lists some additional sites of interest, but not many. Searching with alternative spelling brings us to Japan, where apparantly some of his music has been released on CD. A search for "Korossy" (US spelling?) at the usual CD outlets tells me there is one US release of 50s/60s material. If anyone happens to know it, please to post your comments. I hope to get this one soon myself.

To the music. The cover posted above belongs to a 10" LP released on the Czech Supraphon label; judging from the catalogue number I'm guessing it must have been recorded around 1960/61. Körössy plays standards, varying from swing classics like Honeysuckle Rose to bop staples like Perdido. He is accompanied by Miroslav Kefurt on guitar (2 tracks only), Milan Pilar on bass, and Karel Turnovský on drums. His style is a swift boppish one with immaculate precision. The latter makes it sound like a classic concert virtuoso is at work and gives it all an awkward constrained touch. A live solo performance recorded 1961 in Warsaw (Jazz Jamboree) emphasises this virtuosic touch.

I never really put any energy into finding out more about Ianci Körössy, but roaming the links google provides tells me he's someone who went through some darn interesting phases in his life and probably also his career. Not known to be overly drawn in by piano players, couw has to admit that this man's music does click with him.

Now some samples for all of you to enjoy (right click and save):

(links removed)

Perdido

The Man I Love

Body and Soul

all three taken from the above pictured 10" LP

All The Things You Are

solo performance taken from a Polish LP feat. some tunes from the Warsaw Jazz Jamboree 1961; even if you don't like the above three tracks and want to give up, I would suggest you still get this one, this is something else!

I hope posting otherwise unavailable music as mp3s is not causing any problems; I will take these down in a week or so. I only wish this marvellous stuff out there and make Mr Körössy's name hum in the back of some heads.

Edited by couw

I'm surprised I've never heard of this guy.

But then again, there's this excellent pianist from Denmark, a virtual Monk clone, called Jan Kaspersen. Everytime I see him, I wonder why he isn't world famous.

Jan Kaspersen (Danish and English version available)

"Marvellous records from a Dane whose music is a beautifully personal inventive and humorous response to the particular influence of TheloniusMonk". The Penguin Guide to Jazz.

I saw him give a solo concert at the Copenhagen Jazz festival two years ago, at which he played on this wonderfully rich Bösendorfer. He's played everything from Satie to Monk, from Ellington to Doerge. Wow. And he's a fun guy.

N_24.jpg

here are the liners of that 10"

IANCI KÖRÖSSY - JAZZ RECITAL

Although Ianci Körössy, the Rumanian pianist is still practically unknown to international audiences, he is, nevertheless the best European jazz pianist.

He was born in 1926, the son of a professor at the Conservatoire and when four years old he began to play the violin which he later exchanged for the piano. Gifted with excellent musical memory, he began to play professionally, mostly Hungarian and Rumanian folk music, at the age of twelve. In 1946 he moved to Bucarest where his playing caught the attention of Teodor Kosma, the conductor of the best Rumanian dance orchestra who has signed him for his Electrecord Ensemble. With this eightpiece orchestra Körössy used to play various Bucarest cafés and has also made a number of recordings for both gramophone and the Rumanian radio.

With the Electrecord Orchestra Körössy made two trips abroad: to Moscow where he won several awards for his jazz arrangements of Rumanian folk songs at the World Festival of Democratic Youth, and to Czechoslovakia, where he also made several recordings for the Prague Radio besides playing a number of concert engagements.

Recently Körössy made himself independent in order to gain time for composing, whilst playing only occasionally with the Electrecord Orchestra as a solist. Apart from this he is a standing guest of the Rumanian Radio.

In 1960, Körössy has again been invited to Czechoslovakia where he gave several successful concerts in collaboration of the Studio 5 Jazz Ensemble and made several recordings for the Supraphon Label which distinctly demonstrate his exceptional technique, art of improvisation and a highly personal pianistic style. Körössy has recorded mostly well-known jazz and dance tunes which he plays to the accompaniment of a rhythm group made up of foremost Prague musicians: Milan Pilar (bass), Karel Turnovský (drums) and Miroslav Kefurt (guitar).

Sense of rhythm, so typical of all good jazzmen, outstanding technique and wide dynamic range are qualities which make Körössy's playing attractive. His seemingly inexhaustible capacity for improvisation as well as his sense of structure which gives the impression of a firmly organized piece of composition are especially worthy of attention.

Stanislav Titzl - 1961.

Edited by couw

Wooo, couw, thanks for discovering this wonderful musician for us!

Now listening to the complete Jazz Recital disc. :wub: It´s fantastic! You scored the bulls-eye when you said I´d like him!

He has an incredible sense of swing, a beautiful touch and a stunning technique. Very Tatumesque, but with not so complex harmonies. Just like a mix of Teddy Wilson and Art Tatum, with touches of Errol Garner.

Currently listed on e-bay (starting bid $24.99):

Seria "Jazz Restitutio 1" (LP)

rec. 1968, Electrecord ST-EDE 04213

96_1_b.JPG

Side A :

A Night in Tunisia ( Dizzy Gillespie ) / My Funny Valentine ( Richard Rodgers ) / Blues for Garay ( Korossy ) / Junior - piano solo ( Korossy ) / Broadway ( Wood, Mc'Ray, Bird ) .

IANCSY KOROSSY ( piano ) and JOHNNY RADUCANU ( bass 1,2,3,5) and BOB IOSIFESCU ( 1,2,3,5) - Romanian Radio Recordings July-August, 1965.

Side B:

Body and Soul ( Green ) / Tip Top - piano solo ( Korossy ) / But Not For Me ( Gershwin ) / Fire, Fire! ( Korossy ) / Reflexes ( Korossy ) / In a Hurry ( Korossy ).

IANCSY KOROSSY ( piano ) and JOHNNY RADUCANU ( 3,4,5,6 ), BOB IOSIFESCU ( drums 3 ), COCA MORARU ( drums 4,5,6), DAN MINDRILA ( sax tenor 6 ) - Romanian Radio Recordings July-August 1965, February 1967, September 1968 and JUne 1968.

EDIT: there´s another auction with a lower starting bid HERE.

Edited by EKE BBB

As as sideman with Nicolas Simion:

Live at Stockwerk Graz

Nicolas Simion (ORF - Austria - 2003)

cover0603_066_it.jpg

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/italy/reviews/r0603_066_it.htm

Track list

01. Sweet Home (Nicolas Simion) - 6:48

02. Shuffle in Graz (Nicolas Simion) - 5:41

03. How Deep Is the Ocean (Irving Berlin) - 7:56

04. Lennie´s (Lee Konitz) - 13:22

05. Thingin` (Lee Konitz) - 15:10

06. For Oscar (Jancy Körössy) - 6:05

07. Grazie 1, Grazie 2, Grazie 3 (L.Konitz/N.Simion) - 3:54

08. It´s You (Lee Konitz) - 10:48

Nicolas Simion (ts, ss, bass clarinet)

Lee Konitz (as)

Jancy Körössy (p)

James Singleton ( b )

Peter Perfido (d)

Edited by EKE BBB

check out this discography

Great!!!

EDIT: I love those Rumanian websites.... After all, they also speak a Romance language!

Now let´s talk about availability.... besides pricey Japanese LP and some above 30 USD e-bay auctions.... where on hell can we get those gems?

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!

:g:g:g

Edited by EKE BBB

BTW: your google skills are better than mine, clearly....  <_<

your posting that cover from the ebay auction pointed me towards YET ANOTHER way to spell the good man's name. Poor guy, with a name like that, who can be blamed for not finding out about his recordings.

Edited by couw