• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This weekend-- so far :

Blakey & Jazz Messengers, "Freedom Rider"

Bobby Hutcherson- "Stick Up"

Stanley Turrentine- "Mr. Natural"

Coleman Hawkins- "Hawk Eyes"

I have a lot of CDs, but I am starting to think that the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl. It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean? Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl :) The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE. I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl. :wub:

Edited by Leeway

I had the LP of John Surman 'Tales of the Algonquin' on the platter earlier this weekend. Closely followed by Andrew Hill 'Dance With Death' ( :wub: x 2).

Then comitted the cardinal sin of playing a CD ('heresy') but there again it was disk 1 of the Mobley Mosaic so I guess I'm absolved.. :)

the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl. It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean? Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl :) The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE. I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl. :wub:

Amen, brother, to all of that ! :rsmile:

I should add that some recordings sound great played at the same time. Especially unaccompanied pieces or ones with very stark instrumentation. We used to do this on my old radio show in college. Among others, we once played Eric Dolphy's "God Bless the Child" over a Morton Feldman piano piece.

The only snag with vinyl is lack of new releases coming out. Apart from a tiny numbere of releases it's the format of yesterday but a great one at that. Since getting my Rega turnatble in January I've added around 100 LPs to my collection.

All dirt cheap , sound great (by and large) and have allowed me to hear an enourmous range of music I would never have heard at CD prices. Vive vinyl !!!

"The Music of Quincy Jones, As Played By. . . " oh it's vinyl on cdr!

Phew!!!! It's safe to go outside. I thought hell had frozen over and pigs were flying, when I saw jazzbo's name as posting on this thread. :g

Edited by Matthew