• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rex Stewart/Illinois Jacquet (Grand Award)--A really nice sounding record, with two separate groups. The original artwork cover is said to be suitable for framing, after peeling it off somehow.

Buddy Rich--the Bull (Chiaroscuro)--A small group live recording, with Sonny Fortune, Sal Nistico and Kenny Barron.

Milt Jackson--That's the Way It Is (Impulse, red and black)

Cecil Taylor's second recording - Newport, 1957, from the Verve Masters of the Modern Piano double LP. This is the only issue I've ever had of this wonderful set. My first impression tonight of Steve Lacy's playing here was that he wasn't quite ready for Cecil at this stage, but then came his masterful solo on "Tune 2." Who else, except for Taylor himself, could have improvised so well on this 88-bar structure?

A strange one to finish my evening:

Fletcher Henderson/Bill Harris/Sidney Bechet: First, Last & Only Concert From Kimball Hall, Otterburn - Flint, Michigan (Big Chief-Jerollomo)

It's just the issue that's strange, not the music, which is excellent. It's a John Steiner-recorded concert from 1947, from Chicago's Kimball Hall. Also on hand is tenor saxophonist Otis Finch, who was playing with Henderson's big band at the time and who was drummer Candy Finch's father.

Charlie Shavers 'Gershwin, Shavers and Strings' (Bethlehem, mono)

orchestra conducted by Sy Oliver

Shavers was one of the musician it took me time to 'get into'. For a long time, I thought he overdid whatever he played. Now I really appreciate his musicianship!

Shavers was one of the musician it took me time to 'get into'. For a long time, I thought he overdid whatever he played. Now I really appreciate his musicianship!

I used to have a Shavers album where he played fantastic trumpet, Prestige Swingville, I think and the track titles were "Fancy Pants" and "The Blast Off" IIRC.

P.S. Googling these titles suggests it was Hal Singer's Blue Stompin'.

"Preposterous bawling" as Cook and Morton once opined!

I really like that one a lot. Got a NJ mono of it for $5 maybe about a decade ago.

Nice. Listening to it made me dig out some more Mann. On now is a BYG pressing of what they titled "Yardbird Flute" with Phil Woods and Eddie Costa. 1957 session.

Edited by ajf67