What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Le Jazz en France, Volume 1: Paris 1919-1923; Premiers Jazz Bands (EMI) An interesting anthology. The French bands (going back to 1919) sound about five years behind American developments - which is understandable, considering what had been going on in Europe. The visiting Americans are hipper. Mitchell's Jazz Kings sound pretty good for 1921/22; not compared to New Orleans bands, but good in a New York/Johnny Dunn kind of way. And there are three 1923 tracks by Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band which compare favorably to what Fletcher Henderson was doing at the time.

Tonight: Volume 2: Black Bands in Paris 1929-1930. This one has two good tracks by Eddie South and a couple of interesting poetry-with-jazz tracks (the first ever?) by Jean Cocteau that made me wish I spoke French. But most of the album is taken up by Sam Wooding, whose music is a maddening mixture of quality jazz, bizarre vocals, bad songs ("I Lift Up My Finger and Say 'Tweet Tweet'"), and lame arrangements. He's got some good soloists, though - Doc Cheatham, Albert Wynn, and Gene Sedric.

Now on Volume 3: Willie Lewis and His Entertainers 1935-1937. Benny Carter contributes some amazing alto, trumpet, and arrangements.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2) LP I found on Everest credited to Joe Henderson and Woody Shaw. It's titled "Jazz Patterns" No date or info other than the players: George Cables, Ron McClure and Lenny White.

Haven't seen that one before. A boot of the Milestone Lighthouse recording?

Good question, and I don't know the answer. The tunes are: "Invitation," "Lofty" and "What's Mine Is Yours."

2) LP I found on Everest credited to Joe Henderson and Woody Shaw. It's titled "Jazz Patterns" No date or info other than the players: George Cables, Ron McClure and Lenny White.

Haven't seen that one before. A boot of the Milestone Lighthouse recording?

Good question, and I don't know the answer. The tunes are: "Invitation," "Lofty" and "What's Mine Is Yours."

It's the same band and the same time period, but it's not the same material. Reviews and discographies don't seem to know quite where this material came from.

One and a half Sun Ra albums on the Saturn label:

The Sound Mirror - Side one is a studio-recorded sermon over the "I, Pharaoh" vamp; side two is from the 1978 quartet tour of Italy.

"Hiroshima" - A mid-80s pipe organ solo recorded on "Mighty Mo," the organ at the Fox Theatre, a few miles from my house in Atlanta. The other side, which I didn't listen to tonight, is by the Sun Ra All Stars, with Lester Bowie and Archie Shepp.

Both of these are in plain white sleeves; the labels are blank except for the master number for each side written in pencil. The Campbell/Trent Sun Ra discography was very helpful in figuring out what I had.

"Iron City" -- Grant Green with John Patton and Ben Dixon. Cobblestone 1967 session

Aren't we all in agreement that it is Larry Young on organ - not Patton - on this one?

Didn't even think of that, i just read the back. it would make sense.

Now spinning:

Andrew Hill 'Point of Departure' (BN, mono)