• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Earl Hooker - Sweet Black Angel (Blue Thumb)

That was the first Earl Hooker I ever heard. I soon found out that there was better stuff out there, but that was the one that started me on a lifelong love affair with his music.

Yeah, musically it's good rather than great. The under-ten-bucks sealed copy I just picked up seems to be something of a find from a collecting standpoint, though. Based on the little bit of poking around the web I've done, it looks like this one usually goes for some money. I had no idea when I bought it.

I recall you getting that one pretty cheaply - the LP, not the pre-amp. Still holding out hope that Hum Dono will get proper treatment someday... that is an incredible record.

Yeah, the 'Reflections' didn't sting me too bad. It might well be as rare as 'Hum Dono' - although as it's an 'MOR' type record it tends not to be so sought after. Certainly not one I ever see on offer. Too bad that Amancio didn't get a bit more deserved recognition from the locals here in his lifetime. A not untypical story, sadly.

Maybe we can hope that either BGO or Dutton do the CD of 'Hum Dono'. If ever a re-issue is overdue this one is.

Edited by sidewinder

Earl Hooker - Sweet Black Angel (Blue Thumb)

That was the first Earl Hooker I ever heard. I soon found out that there was better stuff out there, but that was the one that started me on a lifelong love affair with his music.

Yeah, musically it's good rather than great. The under-ten-bucks sealed copy I just picked up seems to be something of a find from a collecting standpoint, though. Based on the little bit of poking around the web I've done, it looks like this one usually goes for some money. I had no idea when I bought it.

Earl Hooker was great, and that is a great find. My favorite work from him is Hooker and Steve on Arhoolie, and I think they still have some sealed Hooker LPs for sale on their website. He is one of my favorites.

Edited by martini