Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Front_Cover_Shots_Small+.jpg

Steve Lacy - Shots (Musica). Duets with Masa Kwate on traditional Japanese percussion.

If I may ask Jeff, where did you get all of your obscure Lacy records from?

Lacy is one of my favorite musicians - perhaps my primary musical hero - and I've been listening to him since around 1974. So I got some of my obscure Lacy records when they came out. Even when they were in print, many of them were hard to track down, but finding a cooperative record store clerk was helpful.

Some I have found in the years since in used record stores. Obscure Lacy doesn't turn up often, but I haunt all the record stores in Atlanta, and have found some nice stuff over the years. It was only about a year ago that I found The Kiss in a suburban Atlanta store - absolute mint condition for ten or fifteen bucks.

And I got quite a few from Ebay vendors, before Ebay got as crazy as it is now. Shots was an Ebay find - from a French seller, if I remember correctly, and at a good price. These days Ebay is not as good a source, unless price is no object. And it is for me - I'm seldom willing to pay "collector's" prices.

Jeff, do you have the Morgue or Space Who LPs?

No, I don't have either. And although I certainly wouldn't pass up a copy, the Space Who LP has always struck me as an artificial collector's item with inflated value. Is it really that much better than other Lacy solo recordings from the period?

I guess at the top of my Lacy want list are Stalks and The Wire, both from his first Japanese tour. Still looking for Sortie, too, although I know that it's available on a pirate CD these days.

Indeed, Sortie is-- I admit I bought it. And I don't really like it much. Disposibility is the much more enjoyable listen.

Oh, yeah! I like Lacy too much to have a single favorite album, but Disposability is in my top half dozen. It's one I did pay pretty dearly for, back when the original Italian LP was the only way to get it.

Indeed, Sortie is-- I admit I bought it. And I don't really like it much. Disposibility is the much more enjoyable listen.

Different strokes for different folks I guess - love Sortie. I didn't know someone had booted it on CD; used to have doubles of it but traded one for ICP 006 and a couple of nice Surman titles.

I think his approach to songs and song form are the basis of Steve Lacy's genius. With both Monk's music and his own I think he offered a totally unique approach to improvisation within and across songs. Kind of like his own insular version of the Tristano school. So the free improvisation on Sortie leaves me cold. But yes, different strokes.

s243339.jpg

Steve Lacy - Clinkers (Hat Hut). Here's one that I bought new, and it's a recording which is much easier to obtain these days. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to order Hat Hut F, but it was an eye-opening record for me back in 1978 or '79. There's a one-sheet catalog insert with all nine (!) Hat Hut releases - A through I/J, which was a Joe McPhee double album. I was struck with how good the record sounded, and it amused me that it's only been played on one turntable - I bought my current table in 1978. It sounds even better now, with a better cartridge, amplifier and speakers.

Birminham Quartet Anthology (Clanka Lanka) - LP 1

Interesting to read Charles Bridges - lead singer of the Famous Blue Jay Singers - saying in the liner notes: "(During the 1960's) ... we got into doing school assemblies." In late 1961/early 1962, they performed at an assembly at my high school in Wappingers Falls, N.Y. They were introduced as The Blue Jay Singers with no background information given. They sang gospel numbers and finished with an acappella version of "The Twist" to win over an auditorium of mostly middle class white kids - which they did. Some of my classmates thought they were The Blue Jays, a doo-wop group who'd just had a pop hit with "Lovers Island". I could hear that wasn't so, even if I had no idea that I was hearing a part of this country's (and the world's) history.

My wife is out of town at a conference. As is not uncommon when she's gone, I'm having a drink or two more than usual and spinning 45s - jazz, tonight:

Jack Jenney - a four-record Columbia box of stuff by his big band; what a great trombone sound.

Tony Scott - Walkin'/A Night in Tunisia (Swedish RCA). With a Swedish rhythm section.

John Grass - two EPs on the Trend label; the equivalent of his first 10" LP. Just great.

A single on the Warwick label from The Soul of Jazz Percussion, although the labels don't mention that fact or list a leader. Some great Donald Byrd, Pepper Adams, and Booker Little here.

Lou Donaldson - The Nearness of You/Mack the Knife (Blue Note)

Horace Silver Quintet with Bill Henderson - Senor Blues/Tippin' (BN)

Leo Parker - Low Brown/Parker's Pals (BN)

Sonny Red - Stay as Sweet as You Are/Bluesville (BN)

Freddie Roach - I Know/Googa Mooga (BN)

Bunky Green - By the Time I Get to Phoenix/Sweet Inspiriation (Met). I'd love to know more about this record, which doesn't appear in any discography I've seen.

Dexter Gordon - Isn't She Lovely (Columbia mono/stereo promo). As far as I can tell, this never appeared on any of Dexter's albums.

Ray Bryant - Ramblin'/Ode to Billie Joe (Cadet). Ray does Ornette and Bobby Gentry. RIP.