• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of LPs I picked up in Seattle a few days ago, starting with one of the unintentionally funniest album titles of all time:

Johnny Hodges/Charlie Shavers - A Man and His Music (Storyville). Hodges has one side, Shavers the other. The heart of each side is a mid-50's broadcast by each man with Columbus pianist Al Waslon and his trio. Each broadcast is excellent and relaxed; the leaders sound good, as does the little-known Waslon, who I believe played with Jimmy Dorsey earlier. A personal note: my first wife, who was a Johnny Hodges fan, had this album, and for years I've been mourning my separation from it - not from her so much.

Vernard Johnson - Live (Glori). He's introduced as "the world's greatest gospel saxophonist," and that's about right. This makes my fifth album by Brother Vernard - they're all great.

Tommy Flanagan 'The Cats' (New Jazz, mono)

the-cats-jazz-vinyl-jpeg.jpg

The back cover has a PREVIEW COPY stamp and a 4.98 price sticker!

What a price.. (albeit one requiring a time machine to take advantage of now). Hopefully no noisy hiss !

Reminder to self to get my copy out..

Edited by sidewinder

This is being discussed elsewhere on the Board. Giving it a spin (fine album, my copy is the stereo release)

51B78WJdcrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I never saw that Carl Wilson album before.

I was thinking Horst Jankowski !

Now spinning:

'Miles Davis' Greatest Hits' (Columbia 2-eye, stereo). Picked up today for £3 and trounces my 70s UK pressing.

Followed by Miles Davis 'Quiet Nights' (Dutch CBS, mono). Strange and exotic issue with 60s heavy vinyl orange label and what looks like a sort of facsimile sleeve, printed front and back creased over with no joins top and bottom. Bizarre ! Maybe they ran out during the initial print run?

(updated to say that the sound quality of this Dutch mono issue is superb. Definitely the best I've heard for this title).

Edited by sidewinder

This is being discussed elsewhere on the Board. Giving it a spin (fine album, my copy is the stereo release)

51B78WJdcrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I never saw that Carl Wilson album before.

I was thinking Horst Jankowski !

Jankowski wears glasses! :P

Will give this a spin later today - I have to stop piling up CDs on the lid of my turntable ... :w

A few days ago I put on this magnificent Mongo Santamaria album - Hubert Laws plays some fantastic solos here. It's a shame Columbia never really cared about reissuing the Mongo albums he made for them.

17294.jpg