What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Lol Coxhill: DIVERSE. Ogun LP.

Any other fans of Lol?

I like Lol. Once saw him play a solo concert in a student cafeteria filled with dozens of candles. I think there were about six of us in the audience. Another time with a band playing straight bebop (much better attended!).

One of the least commercial musicians I've come across. Frequrntly just stops mid performance because he's run out of ideas or got bored and just starts something else.

Missed this tour though:

lol.jpg

http://www.theshed.co.uk/guardian-skip

This is a great survey of his music from 1954-99:

LOLCOXHILLSPECTRALSOPRANO.jpg

Amazing! Sometimes you do wonder if Lol really does stand for "laugh out loud." What I love about his playing is its humaneness. Its always engaging on a personal level.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45-1014.jpg

Before finally going to bed, one more single by each of the above blues guys:

Robert Pete Williams - Goodbye Slim Harpo/Viet Nam Blues (Ahura Mazda)

Johnny Littlejohn - Kitty O/Johnny's Jive (Margaret)

Tabby Thomas - How Many More Years/Goin' to New Orleans (Maison de Soul)

Have the Robert Pete Williams and may still have the John Littlejohn - there's a box of 45's waiting to be cleaned sitting in my garage. Didn't think that anyone else here would have or even know about those.

I got the Robert Pete Williams record at the Louisiana Music Factory in New Orleans, where they had a bunch of them in a box - they probably still have some. Don't remember where I got the "Johnny Little John," as the label says. But I have three boxes of 45s - one, which is packed to the gills, is all blues. Another is all jazz, and it's almost as full. The third is a variety of stuff, but mostly R & B.

Muggsy Spanier - Rare Custom 45s (IAJRC). 1956 sessions for Seeburg jukeboxes, with George Brunies and Peanuts Hucko, among others. According to Spanier's biographer Bert Whyatt, these were extremely relaxed, casual sessions, since the records weren't intended for regular distribution, just for jukeboxes. Nobody even cared when Brunies sang that he wanted to "sister like his shimmy Kate," which I had never noticed until tonight. In any case, this is really nice stuff.

Muggsy Spanier - Rare Custom 45s (IAJRC). 1956 sessions for Seeburg jukeboxes, with George Brunies and Peanuts Hucko, among others. According to Spanier's biographer Bert Whyatt, these were extremely relaxed, casual sessions, since the records weren't intended for regular distribution, just for jukeboxes. Nobody even cared when Brunies sang that he wanted to "sister like his shimmy Kate," which I had never noticed until tonight. In any case, this is really nice stuff.

Haven't heard any Spanier after the classic 1939 tracks, but I saw Hucko the year after your disc in a touring show jointly led by Jack Teagarden and Earl Hines and also including Cozy Cole, Jack Lesberg and Max Kaminsky. Looks like they were recorded when they got to Paris:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6774442/a/At+The+Olympia+Theatre,+Paris,+France+-+Nov.+6,+1957.htm

Haven't heard any Spanier after the classic 1939 tracks, but I saw Hucko the year after your disc in a touring show jointly led by Jack Teagarden and Earl Hines and also including Cozy Cole, Jack Lesberg and Max Kaminsky.

Well, you've heard what Muggsy sounded like - his style never changed. And Hucko sounds really good on this LP.

THE STARTING GATE: Stan Getz. BYG. Performances from 1946 and 1949. A couple of the bassists are unknown to me: Iggy Shevak (gotta love that name), and Mert Oliver. Anyone know anything about these guys?

Edited by Leeway

R-2612836-1293214189.jpeg

Sonny Rollins - Jazz in 3/4 Time (Emarcy mono)

Max? Or did you just listen to Sonny?

Wow - that was some sort of Freudian slip. I dug Sonny, but also the rest of the band, especially Max, of course. I thought pianist Billy Wallace was pretty interesting. And as I was enjoying Kenny Dorham, I was lamenting that a musician friend of mine has a blind spot when it comes to Dorham - he can't get past what he considers KD's "bad" tone. To me, it's just individual - and that's what jazz is all about.

I'm going to semi-correct my original post....

393034.jpg

Pete Rugolo - Reeds in Hi-Fi (Mercury mono). I've been a fan of this 1956 album for many years. It was apparently intended for middle-class folks with nice hi-fi systems, rather than for jazz fans. But it's excellent music, and never far from jazz. Bob Cooper, Dave Pell, Barney Kessell, Andre Previn, and Shelly Manne are on board, and Bud Shank gets lots of solo space.

Edited by jeffcrom

839253.jpg

Captain John Handy - Introducing Cap'n John Handy (RCA Victor mono). The first of two Captain John Handy albums for RCA. This one puts him in a mainstream swing context, rather than in a traditional New Orleans-style band. In the band are Claude Hopkins, Doc Cheatham, Bennie Morton, and Gus Johnson, among others. It works really well.