Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2894515-1306083929.jpeg

Kid Shiek's Storyville Ramblers - The Sheik of Araby (504). Listening to the Preservation Hall Jazz Band earlier this evening got me thinking about my first visit to the city I love about all others. In the spring of 1990, I visited Preservation Hall for the first time - Kid Sheik's band was playing. His trumpet playing was still very strong, but that's the only time I got to hear him - he retired for health reasons not long afterwards, and died in 1996. Also in the band were Jeannette Kimball, who played on some of Oscar Celestin's records back in the 1920's. She's on this album. The bass player was 90-year old Chester Zardis, whom I'd never even heard of. His big sound and great time made a big impression on me. When I got home, I found his picture in the Keepnews/Grauer Pictoral History of Jazz - a 1920 shot of the legendary Buddy Petit's band. He died three months after I heard him that night. That night changed my life - New Orleans jazz became a living thing to me, not just a sound on old records.

The 504 label was something like a latter-day American Music or Icon - they documented the traditional jazz of the city in 1970's, '80's, and '90's. They're still active, but I haven't been as thrilled with their later offerings.

Jeez, I haven't been to New Orleans in 16 months - that's the longest dry spell I've had since 1990. I'm going in September, come hell or high water.

Charlie-Parker-Yardbird-In-Lotus-361403.jpg

Charlie Parker - Yardbird in Lotus Land (Spotlite). 1945-46 California recordings.

Your post spurred me to pull this one off the shelves:

6cac0022f2b34ffa3aae111312524907.199.jpg

Charlie Parker: Apartment Sessions (Spotlite)

That's a tremendous record! There's some of the most astonishing Bird I've ever heard on that one!

Kid Howard and His New Orleans Jazz Band at Zion Hill Church: Great Spirituals (Nobility)

Music of New Orleans: The Brass Bands (Jazzology). Side one, which reissues the first recording of the Olympia Brass Band, made in 1962 and issued on a 10" LP on the MONO label.

Later: I just have to comment on one little moment I've always loved in that first Olympia session. The band is playing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" in slow funeral march style. At one point, the two trumpet players, Ernie Cagnolatti and Kid Sheik Colar, choose passing notes that are a half-step apart - a half step being arguably the most dissonant interval in western music. Each one plays his note loudly and sustains it for two full beats. It's so wrong and so raw, and nobody even thought of doing another take. I just love New Orleans music.

Edited by jeffcrom

Duke Ellington 'Live from the Hotel Sherman, Chicago' (Jazz Supreme), vol. 1

Album-JazzSupreme704HotelShermanVol1NDp1369(Gotting).jpg

Volume 2 to follow...

A mystery is how come those September 1940 broadcasts have not been reissued since their appearance on that Italian bootleg label?

Audio is not really high but the band was in top form!

Edited by brownie

Today,

The New Oscar Pettiford Sextet OJC-112 Unusual and wonderful instrumentation. Pretty good sounding OJC from a Debut Records 10 inch.

Wes Montgomery-Movin' Along Victor Japan SMJ-6199M Nice tonal changes by Wes, the very underrated James Clay on flute and the always stellar Sam Jones. Very good sounding Japan pressing.

Jimmy Smith- Greatest Hits BST-89901 1969, rvg. "The Sermon", tremendous, great solos by Tina Brooks and Lou Donaldson, Lee sounds a tad reserved to me,and the Art Blakey shuffle to boot! Fabulous sonically.

Today,

The New Oscar Pettiford Sextet OJC-112 Unusual and wonderful instrumentation. Pretty good sounding OJC from a Debut Records 10 inch.

Wes Montgomery-Movin' Along Victor Japan SMJ-6199M Nice tonal changes by Wes, the very underrated James Clay on flute and the always stellar Sam Jones. Very good sounding Japan pressing.

Jimmy Smith- Greatest Hits BST-89901 1969, rvg. "The Sermon", tremendous, great solos by Tina Brooks and Lou Donaldson, Lee sounds a tad reserved to me,and the Art Blakey shuffle to boot! Fabulous sonically.

Love the Movin' Along album - great Victor Feldman piano, too! Must investigate the Pettiford.

slp74.jpg

Willie Guy Rainey (Southland/Jazzology) The Georgie blueman's only album. He lived in Rico, south of Atlanta.

An Atlanta female vocalist with whom I perform sometimes did a singer/songwriter type gig with a guitar back around 1980, and Willie Guy was in the audience. She said that Mr. Rainey called her over and said, "Girl, we could make pretty babies. I'd even marry you." She turned him down, and missed her chance to be Mrs. Willie Guy Rainey.

Today,

Love the Movin' Along album - great Victor Feldman piano, too! Must investigate the Pettiford.

Yes, nice playing by your countryman. As well as Louis Hayes, who is still going strong. I caught him at Jimmy Mak's in my town recently, great show and a great ambassador.