What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

089270.jpg

Another one from yesterday's haul: Laurent De Wilde - Odd and Blue (IDA 1989), with Ira Coleman and Jack DeJohnette. Let's see if those "five spots" from Jazz Hot (sticker on the bottom left, mine has that one but not the "choc" sticker on top) were justified. Beginning is fine, but sound is, well, 80s...

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's line-up =

"Introducing Joe Gordon" 1954 Trip TLP-5535 mono reissue of EmArcy release. One of two dates led by Gordon, excellent early hard bop w/ Charlie Rouse. Only decent sonics from this low-budget reissue.

Wilbur Harden- "Gold Coast" Savoy Jazz reissue, rvg. Originally led by Harden, eventually credited to "Trane to capitalize on his name recognition. Very average date but being rvg, the sonics are excellent.

Curtis Amy & Paul Bryant- "Meetin' Here" Pacific Jazz PJ-26 1961 mono. Under appreciated Amy, Bryant sounds similar to Freddie Roach, very good solo work from valve-trombonist Roy Brewster. Thick vinyl sounds fine.

Coleman-Hawkins-Meets-The-Sax-Sec-443834.jpg

Something a little outside my usual orbit these days. I found the discographical info interesting. It's on "Realm Jazz: Savoy Series" and it was put out by Oriole Records Limited, London. Those are new labels to me. Seems like Oriole was around for a fair while. Realm is new to me. BTW, the record is in mono.

The_new_Oscar_Pettiford_sextet.JPG

I think this is a pretty interesting band. Pettiford on cello, Mingus on bass, Phil Urso on tenor, Julius Watkins on Frnch Horn, Walter Bishop, piano, Percy Brice (who he?), drums.

It's fine if a bit tame considering the calibre of players and the presence of Mingus.

Looking for a few smiles tonight, so I listened to "Save The Bones" by Danny Barker.

:tup I know that I mentioned this in a post last night, but one of the great mornings of my life was one spent in Danny and Blue Lu's living room on Sere St. in New Orleans. One of the songs he played and sang for my ex-wife and me was "Save the Bones." What a great man.

The Fabulous Banjo of Danny Barker (Period). A not-particularly-profound late 50's album, with Joe Muranyi, Don Frye, Wellman Braud, and Walter Johnson. Danny's music always makes me feel better.

Music can affect us in a lot of ways but you can't beat "feeling better".

Enjoyed your earlier comments on Mr. Barker.

Stone - Original Sound Track (finders keepers)

Flesh Eaters - A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die (Ruby)

Residents - Eskimo (Ralph)

Residents - Commercial Album (Ralph)

Residents - Not Available (Ralph)

Pierre Henry - Machine Danse (Philips)

JPT Scare Band - S/T (Monster)

JPT Scare Band - Rape of Titan's Sirens (Monster)

Fucked Up - David Comes to Life (Matador)

Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come (Polydor,RE)

Man Man - Life Fantastic (Anti)

Pink Fairies - Kings of Oblivion (Polydor,RE)

Phillip Wilson Trio - Fruits (Circle)