What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

061079.jpg51YRBT%2BgoGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Two very different flavors of vinyl so far tonight:

Albert Ayler - Lorrach/Paris 1966 (Hat Art)

Tony Parenti - Jazz Goes Underground (Jazzology) The New Orleans clarinetist with a bunch of Atlanta Dixielanders in 1969. I played some gigs with the drummer, Spider Ridgeway, when I was a young man, 30 years ago.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

taiga-1.jpg

How is that, Leeway? I enjoy Halvorsen's Firehouse and Cracklejob - does this compare? Quite an investment with UK shipment

I liked it quite a bit The interplay is quite good. The focus is on Halvorson really. In "Crackleknob," which I really love, the focus is divided with the wonderful Nate Woolley. Beautifully balanced effort but maybe more Nate's album than Mary's In "Saturn Sings," the addition of sax and trumpet gives a different flavor to things than in "Fever Dream." In "Fever Dream," the guitar is the center of the music. The sound is really excellent on the LPs. Quality vinyl and packaging. Note that it is a double LP set but there are only 3 sides. One other thing: some of the production was done in wild multi-colored vinyl, and some in regular black vinyl. Depending on what you want, you might check first before ordering. I guess you'll have to decide if worth the cost. But if you like Mary's work, I doubt you will be disappointed.

51b99tyYjiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Joe Ferrell - Moon Germs (CTI)

One of the great CTI releases. 'Great Gorge' is a track best known by beat-heads.

The buzz is justified, given the 11:43 of smoldering rhythm by Clarke and DeJohnette.

Caveat: the Pete Turner photo montage is my nominee for CTI's most 'WTF' album cover.

I agree that it's among the better CTI's. I like it better every time I spin it.

Now for something completely different:

104ca2c008a0de692c6b4010.L._AA300_.jpg

The Klezmorim - Metropolis (Flying Fish)

One of the great CTI releases. 'Great Gorge' is a track best known by beat-heads.

The buzz is justified, given the 11:43 of smoldering rhythm by Clarke and DeJohnette.

Caveat: the Pete Turner photo montage is my nominee for CTI's most 'WTF' album cover.

Thnks for the info. I will try to find it.

Thnks for the info. I will try to find it.

While you're looking, try to spell "Farrell" correctly - I didn't!

Tony Parenti - Jazz Goes Underground (Jazzology) The New Orleans clarinetist with a bunch of Atlanta Dixielanders in 1969. I played some gigs with the drummer, Spider Ridgeway, when I was a young man, 30 years ago.

How's the Ayler? Is that a good one?

How's the Ayler? Is that a good one?

It's good, but it wouldn't be among my top half-dozen Ayler albums. Get it if you have most of his stuff and still want more, as I did.