• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

085075.jpggullinContemp10.jpg$%28KGrHqR,!hoE7l!9w8foBPMHIR0Dyg~~60_35.JPG

10" LP time:

Claude Thornhill and His Orchestra Play the Great Jazz Arrangements of Gerry Mulligan and Ralph Aldrich (Trend). The four Mulligan arrangements are one side one of this 1953 album, and that side is great. Wonderful band, imaginative writing, and Gene Quill (at the top of his game) solos on all four tunes. Side two has two pretty good arrangements by Aldrich and a bland one by Thornhill.

Lars Gullin - Modern Sounds: Sweden (Contemporary). One source says that these recordings were made (in Stockholm) specifically for Contemporary, and only issued in Sweden later. Don't know if that's true.

Brad Gowans and His New York Nine (RCA Victor). A 1954 album of a 1946 date, and the first issue for six of the eight tunes. I've always loved this intelligent, swinging session, with its Bixian flavor.

Hank Mobley- A Slice of the Top.

Dexter Gordon- Gettin' Around

A Slice of the Top is an accurate title IMHO. Hard to believe this wasn't issued at the time, considering the high level of composition and musicianship. Got caught up in Alfred's numbers. I wish there was a better quality edition available in 33.3, this 1995 Crapitol release is about what you'd expect.

Gettin' Around has long been one of my favorite BN's. What can be said about DG that hasn't been said a million times. Great album from an all-time great. My King re-issue has tremendous sonics.post-12680-0-10828200-1357683995_thumb.jpost-12680-0-85462700-1357684040_thumb.j

Edited by dcmark

gullinContemp10.jpg

10" LP time:

Lars Gullin - Modern Sounds: Sweden (Contemporary). One source says that these recordings were made (in Stockholm) specifically for Contemporary, and only issued in Sweden later. Don't know if that's true.

according to liners of Lars Gullin Vol 2 1953. Only quartet tracks were released on 78rpm in Sweden with two Gullin originals The Front and North Express appearing on an album with Ake Persson. Release dates for these Swedish issues are not given.

Edited by Clunky

Hank Mobley- A Slice of the Top.

Dexter Gordon- Gettin' Around

A Slice of the Top is an accurate title IMHO. Hard to believe this wasn't issued at the time, considering the high level of composition and musicianship. Got caught up in Alfred's numbers. I wish there was a better quality edition available in 33.3, this 1995 Crapitol release is about what you'd expect.

Gettin' Around has long been one of my favorite BN's. What can be said about DG that hasn't been said a million times. Great album from an all-time great. My King re-issue has tremendous sonics.

To my ears, the 1995 Connoisseur LP of "A Slice Of The Top" sounds better than the Rainbow LP from 1979. I've never seen the King issue so I have no idea how it compares.

If you really like Dexter's "Gettin' Around", pick up a copy of the Cisco LP. Even though Cisco went out of business several years ago, there are sealed copies floating around the web for under $30 (list price at issue). These Cisco LPs sound phenomenal.

162621_1_f.jpg?d=20120905031755

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage- (BN Liberty- rvg )

always liked this session, it works as well as any later Mobe sessions with a decent extended cast. Perhaps not as inspired as Slice of the Top but good none the less.

Always liked this session. It gets better every time I play it.

Yes - it's really nice not having to listen to Lee Morgan :D

playing another album without Lee Morgan

COVER+FRONT.jpeg

Sam Lazar - Soul merchant - Argo (Cadet)

MG

If you really like Dexter's "Gettin' Around", pick up a copy of the Cisco LP. Even though Cisco went out of business several years ago, there are sealed copies floating around the web for under $30 (list price at issue). These Cisco LPs sound phenomenal.

Agreed re Cisco , but as I recall a poster here disagreed. I have the DG and Hancock's Takin' Off both of which sound excellent to my ears.

Agreed re Cisco , but as I recall a poster here disagreed. I have the DG and Hancock's Takin' Off both of which sound excellent to my ears.

I went to pull out my Cisco copy of "Gettin' Around" and realized that it was actually "One Flight Up". Oops. :)

So dcmark's King issue of "Gettin' Around" may be one of the better sounding versions out there. I have a Van Gelder pressing and it sounds pretty good to me.

Nice vinyl evening

Grover-Washington-Jr-Winelight-517091.jpg

Grover Washington Jr - WInelight - Elektra (UK)

R-150-2519223-1288809139.jpeg

Rev Roy E Easley - The world series (sermon) - Songbird (original oil crisis pressing :)) (Very surprised to find this image on thew web)

115150816.jpg

Junior Parker - Like it is - Mercury (UK)

tumblr_mbyeqgq4Zg1r3cxcoo1_1280.png

Jimmy Forrest - Out of the Forrest - Prestige (Abbey records DG test pressing, RVG printed in deadwax, not signed off for production, but plays fine :) )

MG

duane_allman_gregg_allman-duane_greg_allman.jpg

Duane & Greg Allman (sic) (Bold). Actually 1968 demos for an unfinished album by a band called The 31st of February, which included Butch Trucks and, for a short time, the Allman brothers. This is the best of the brothers' pre-Allman Brothers Band recordings (except for the "B.B. King Medley" by Hourglass). There are some excellent tracks here, especially on side one; side two is much weaker.