Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36476597_p.jpg

Jimmy Rowles.....We could make such beautiful music together.......(.Xanadu Silver)

I've been going through some of my vinyl in attempt to slim it down. This has a dog-eared cover ( lots of edge wear) but it's a nice date, nothing exceptional but good playing of a pleasing variety of tunes. Hmmm......looks like this one stays....for now

Edited by Clunky

43654.jpg

Reading Gould's liner notes are a trip. He's pretty much saying, hey, I don't really think that most of this material is really that good, all things considered, but it's all popular, so here we go. and then he gives examples of things in the pieces that he thinks are silly. And then proceeds to play them in such a way that highlights the very elements he dislikes. And then, the one piece that he feels has real merit ("Moonlight") he jacks with tempos and removes all the familiar "signposts" along the way, just gives a very...objective reading of a piece that "everybody" knows to go one more or less set way. Which, of course, is not Glenn Gould's way.

Between the liner notes and the interpretations, I have to say that this strikes me as being, at some macro level, a comedy record, albeit a very wry and dry one, with the humor being esoteric rather than overt. Without the liner notes, I'd find it just...interesting. But with the liner notes, ha-HA, well-played, Mister Gould!

powell_bud~_tributeto_101b.jpg

Don Byas/Bud Powell: A Tribute to Cannonball (Columbia)

Very good record. I'd forgotten how good.

The CD has some nice bonus material.

Rock flashback playing now - 'Til Tuesday - Voices Carry (Epic). A Boston band that seemed to get a lot of local airplay (back in the days when there was such a thing).

6f4beb6709a06f528d8a1110.L.jpg

powell_bud~_tributeto_101b.jpg

Don Byas/Bud Powell: A Tribute to Cannonball (Columbia)

Very good record. I'd forgotten how good.

The CD has some nice bonus material.

Rock flashback playing now - 'Til Tuesday - Voices Carry (Epic). A Boston band that seemed to get a lot of local airplay (back in the days when there was such a thing).

Don't you love it how young talent looks all moody and shit for album covers, and then when they age they get all smiley and friendly for the covers, when the odds are very good that in real life it works just the opposite way? A smiley young person on an album cover is creepy, and a scowling old fuck is just scary. I guess that's why.

Don't you love it how young talent looks all moody and shit for album covers, and then when they age they get all smiley and friendly for the covers, when the odds are very good that in real life it works just the opposite way? A smiley young person on an album cover is creepy, and a scowling old fuck is just scary. I guess that's why.

Do a Google search - Aimee Mann still doesn't smile too much. On top of that, one of her albums is titled "@#%&*! Smilers". :)