$(KGrHqJ,!rIE-pcBCgrhBPs8T8ZwbQ~~60_35.J

Original on Decca

or

88913.jpg

LP reissue on Ace of Clubs

or

Winifred-Atwell-Double-7-&-Singles-Compi

CD reissue on Vocalion.

I bet you can pick up original LPs of this quite reasonably. Will have a butchers when I'm in Cardiff next.

MG

My record has the bottom picture, same track list, but on the London label.

Thanks for giving me the options. :)

Edited by patricia

Chuck, Homefromtheforest, and Clifford: I hate you all.

omega.jpg

My non-For Example-owning self enjoyed that Chris Barber album so much that I've been spinning some more European trad, for which I've got an unaccountable fondness:

The Dutch Swing College Band - Party Favourites at the Jazzband Ball (Dutch Philips stereo). Couldn't find a usable picture online. I've always liked this band; they play tastefully, even when performing some grim-looking titles. I especially like leader Peter Schilperpoort's baritone sax playing. (He usually plays clarinet.)

Then switched to the mono cartridge for:

Ken Colyer's Omega Brass Band - Marching to New Orleans (British Decca 10" mono). Ken Colyer just might be my favorite European trad player. It amuses me that, out of the scores of New Orleans-style brass bands that have made records, Colyer beat all but three to the punch. Only Bunk Johnson's Brass Band, the Original Zenith Brass Band, and the mighty Eureka Brass Band made it to wax before the Omega. I'm guessing that Colyer's primary model was the Eureka. If the Omega's music is less wild and more reined-in than a real New Orleans group, it's still excellent and exciting - and it has its own flavor and voice.

Edited by jeffcrom

Freddie Roach 'Mo Greens Please' (NY USA, mono)

29218106.jpg

A good one. I'm not clear why Roach wasn't served well by CD issues. What didn't Cuscuna not like about this album , it's great!

I don't think he liked Roach. There may have been something personal about that. Rhoda Scott said that, apart from Charles Mingus, Roach was the most Afrocentric person she'd ever met. I dare say Roach was as liable to rub people up the wrong way as Mingus (who never used Grandassa models for any of his album sleeves).

MG