• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bop Session with Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt, John Lewis, Percy Heath, Max Roach & Hank Jones (Sonet SNTF 692). This is a variable date with some tracks sounding like fresh interpretations of old war horses and others sounding like tired old war horses.

The_Bop_Session_LP.jpg

Around 1980 Nils Winther and his wife Mihoko were among the guests at our apartment and this session came up in discussion. Nils insisted Blakey was the drummer and I said it was Max. He challenged me to a bet and I said I would bet one of each record in my catalog against one of each in the SteepleChase catalog. He took the bet and after losing complained about the comparative size of our holdings. Mihoko made him live up the his offer and I soon had lots of SteepleChase records in house.

Kenny+Burrell+-+K.B.+Blues+-+LP+RECORD-5

Kenny Burrell: KB Blues (BN/King Japan)

I've been looking for an affordable copy of this for a few years now. I've been getting by with the CD in meantime.

Sold the lp when the cd was released but I still have BN 45-1674 - K. B. Blues backed with D. B. Blues. Anyone want to make an offer?

Edited by Chuck Nessa

The Bop Session with Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt, John Lewis, Percy Heath, Max Roach & Hank Jones (Sonet SNTF 692). This is a variable date with some tracks sounding like fresh interpretations of old war horses and others sounding like tired old war horses.

The_Bop_Session_LP.jpg

Around 1980 Nils Winther and his wife Mihoko were among the guests at our apartment and this session came up in discussion. Nils insisted Blakey was the drummer and I said it was Max. He challenged me to a bet and I said I would bet one of each record in my catalog against one of each in the SteepleChase catalog. He took the bet and after losing complained about the comparative size of our holdings. Mihoko made him live up the his offer and I soon had lots of SteepleChase records in house

Don't believe I'da bet against Nessa.

Jack DeJohnette ~ New Directions
ECM
JackDeJohnetteNewDirections.jpg

A record I've loved since the day it was issued.

Great lp. I saw them around '75. DeJohnette, Abercrombie and Holland, but I'm not sure if it was Bowie on Trumpet or not. Here's my scanned ticket. The show ended with Abercrombie's "Timeless". An incredible finale. It's hard to believe it was only three dollars.

DeJohnettesDirectionsAmazingGrace.jpg

Next . . .

Bill Bruford ~ One of a Kind
Polydor
BillBrufordOneofaKind-1.jpg

Jack DeJohnette ~ New Directions
ECM
JackDeJohnetteNewDirections.jpg

A record I've loved since the day it was issued.

Great lp. I saw them around '75. DeJohnette, Abercrombie and Holland, but I'm not sure if it was Bowie on Trumpet or not. Here's my scanned ticket. The show ended with Abercrombie's "Timeless". An incredible finale. It's hard to believe it was only three dollars.

DeJohnettesDirectionsAmazingGrace.jpg

That's pretty cool! 1975 is a little early for Lester to be in the band - Alex Foster on tenor, maybe?

120784258387.jpg$%28KGrHqFHJCUE+gtKE3HLBP4V0dQ0vw~~60_35$%28KGrHqF,!hsFBZ8ZUCM8BQnp,zbESQ~~60_35

45 RPM jazz EPs:

Illinois Jacquet and his Orchestra (Clef). 1951 recordings.

Duke Ellington - The Duke's D.J. Special (Sesac Repertory). A little anonymous sounding - all the tunes had to be licensed through SESAC, so Ellington didn't write any of the material. The soloists are in great form, though.

Edmond Hall (Argentinian Columbia). A fabulous little record, recorded while Hall was on a South American tour with Louis Armstrong. The Argentinian rhythm section is good, and Hall is smoking. My copy is inscribed (in pencil) by Hall to his doctor.

Edmond Hall with Gustav Brom Orchestra (Supraphon). Recorded in Prague in 1960; Hall is again in excellent form. The picture I once found online seems to have disappeared.

Anthony Braxton - Seven Standards 1985, Volume 1 (Magenta). Promo copy. I saw this record and said to myself, "Hank Jones, Rufus Reid & Victor Lewis in the rhythm section? Produced by Michael Cuscuna & recorded by Malcolm Addey? How have I not heard this before"? The answer is easy - It's because I don't have any Braxton in my CD collection. :) This is a really nice record. I'm glad I finally got some Braxton in my LP collection.

90230.jpg

hamiet-bluiett-bars-with-marcello-melis-

Hamiett Bluiett, Marcello Melis and Don Moye, Bars (Musica). Melis wrote all the tunes.

I've often wondered about that one. How does it stack up against other Bluietts?

Fine but not earth-shattering.

I agree. It's more of a Melis and Moye show, than a Bluiett date. A bit eccentric at times, but interesting enough not to add to the for sale pile.